Arrogant merchants.

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ImpendingDoom Looming wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

I identify their top sellers .. and add them to my list of "Products I will be making soon." *grin*

My entire business model is based on this principle. 

LOL Remind me not to share any secrets with YOU! *grin*

As you said Customer Service is important.  I would never buy from a merchant that was arrogantly rude.  In fact I would add them to my list of "Do Not Shop Here" and hand it out.  A simple no would have sufficed.  I am more willing to work out an agreement than just give no for an answer, but that is just me.

Greedy, arrogant. Lets add paranoid as well, but all my stuff is copy/mod so I don't fall into that category. The Firestorm viewer now defaults to transfer only perms from creations instead of the old copy/mod perms default, and I find that very interesting. A little subliminal hint? I wonder how many of the other viewers have done the same?? ;-)

Default has always been "transfer, no copy, no mod". When setting the perms inworld, that's when they are changed to some other combination.

From the Knowledge Base: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Object-permissions/ta-p/700129

32px-KBcaution.pngImportant: Default permissions are no modify and no copy! Always check permissions before giving objects to others.

Spica Inventor wrote:

Greedy, arrogant. Lets add paranoid as well, but all my stuff is copy/mod so I don't fall into that category. The Firestorm viewer now defaults to transfer only perms from creations instead of the old copy/mod perms default, and I find that very interesting. A little subliminal hint? I wonder how many of the other viewers have done the same?? ;-)

The expert weighs in again so it must be true. 

"Default has always been "transfer, no copy, no mod". When setting the perms inworld, that's when they are changed to some other combination".

Well maybe i was thinking of the phoenix viewer perms default tab that you could change. Now there is no default tab that can change it in the firestorm viewer? Conspiracy theory still stands. More money is to be made by transfer perms right? ;-) ;-) ;-)

laughs, are you thinking of setting the default perms for upload (i.e., textures, sculpt maps)? I know every viewer has that option, just not sure where it is on the viewer you're using. Maybe join the Firestorm Support Group inworld and ask in chat - they are really helpful there and could probably tell you where it is in a split second. (The default for objects has always been what I mentioned above.)

While I only offer no transfer items, I do know that Merchants who offer a choice (either no transfer, or, mod/transfer/no copy) usually charge more for the copy enabled items (at least for landscaping, furniture, etc).

Arwen Serpente wrote:

laughs, are you thinking of setting the default perms for upload (i.e., textures, sculpt maps)? I know every viewer has that option, just not sure where it is on the viewer you're using. Maybe join the Firestorm Support Group inworld and ask in chat - they are really helpful there and could probably tell you where it is in a split second. (The default for objects has always been what I mentioned above.)

While I only offer no transfer items, I do know that Merchants who offer a choice (either no transfer, or, mod/transfer/no copy) usually charge more for the copy enabled items (at least for landscaping, furniture, etc).

I think it's the  uploads that have that option like you are stating Arwen. I used Phoenix first and now firestorm and it's always defaulted to transfer with no option to change. It's a pain really...everything I do these days is copy/mod as well, I would love the option to be able to change that default option.

Hi - Just my thoughts on arrogant merchants. For many people their products and stores are labors of love, their babies, that they spent hours on to make perfect in their eyes. then someone comes along and criticizes it - and whether the criticism/suggestion is justified or not it is possibly upsetting to them. You have the option of not purchasing their product if you don't like it the way it is. But I know when someone approaches me about something I made, depending on their approach/suggestion my first instinct can be defensive. Not to the them of course, but in my head. And then i have to remind myself to see if their suggestion is valid and useful. but I keep this in mind when I see something I like but there is an issue about it that might keep me from buying it. I tend to just move on and look for a product that better suits my needs rather than possibly asking for or suggesting changes that may not be welcome.

And, customers are also sometimes extremely arrogant and demanding. I have had some that have been downright nasty for things that had nothing to do with me. So it does go both ways.

I agree, it can definitely go both ways. I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with often but it does occassionally happen that I get a nasty customers who's just being miserable for the sake of being miserable. However, I have to say, the only part I found arrogant in the original post just the fact that he said that basically nobody can script on his level? I mean come on. All he would have had to have done is simply say "no, I'm sorry I don't provide mod items". Ok fine, move on to someone else to purchase from. I don't find it arrogant no matter what perms a creator puts on their items, that is totally up to them and they will either gain or lose business from it. But in the end that's a personal preference and doesn't make them arrogant or not. But making comments like that...ya totally arrogant. I'm not even sure where the whole "critisizing" took place here, because I don't think the OP was trying to tell the creator how to improve the product, it was just a perms issue. Seems like "can you take critisizm" would be a better topic to talk about than in this thread which seems to have gone off track a bit. Of course...I may have just missed the post where it moved that direction, who knows.

Spica Inventor wrote:

Greedy, arrogant. Lets add paranoid as well, but all my stuff is copy/mod so I don't fall into that category. 

This concept of treating those merchants selling no modify items as paranoids only shows your level of ignorance as well your lack of respect toward other merchants. There are some valid reasons to set no modify permissions and though generally we prefer modify products I think we should respect the decisions of each individual....just saying.

LOL, I can't believe they told you that...Guess they have no clue ..I am of the belief that arrogance is a quality one learns to mask their own insecurities or just plain narcissistic personality disorder, or to make up for something they are not, but let's not open that can of worms in this..I know I go out of the way to work with my customers and non-customers as much as I can. I like to think that loyalty and customer service, as well as a genuine effort to treat folks as you want to be treated still has some value ..Call me silly, but I still like to believe that some of us build for the fun, make things to challenge ourselves and are open to learn, teach and share with others...Silly me

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.