Does your Avatar has a Fictional Character page in Facebook?

chrisbreitling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As you all know in Facebook in addition to personal profiles you can create pages and give them the category "Fictional Character" which is just what a SL avatar is.

Does your avatar has a Fictional Character page in FAcebook (not your personal page!) ? if so feel free to post it here. I have seen a few already but not many.

If facebook finds out that the page is just about a fictinal charakter they tend to delete the page. Facebooks makes money with selling informations and advertising. To keep their advertising space attractiv, they must make sure that most of their users are real people, cause companies only want that.

Nobody would like to make advertising for non existing people who can't become customers for real life products.

Syo Emerald wrote:

If facebook finds out that the page is just about a fictinal charakter they tend to delete the page.

Wrong.  You are confusing Facebook accounts with Facebook pages.  Only real people are supposed to have accounts.  Fictional characters, and a variety of other things, can have pages.  I know.  My account was closed, so I now have a page, which I don't like nearly as well.

What I don't understand is why FB closes some SL avatars' accounts and leaves others alone.  Some of my friends still have accounts which obviously belong to SL avatars.

Even if an account belongs to an avatar, when it is used real eyeballs will see the ads.  I think the reason FB doesn't want avatars to have accounts is that they collect a lot of information, which they sell, and the information is less valuable if some of it is fictional.

Let me say Jennifer, that I don't think that many people use those words accurate. Also I think most people who bring their avatar to facebook (a network made for real people and their real informations and real data) want an account instead of a page.

The ads try to match what you wrote into your profile and what thinks you liked. If I share a video where a cat sitting in a box, like a page about cats or something else facebook assumes its smart to give me some catfood ads. Same goes for my age and gender information: I get ads for clothes, shoes and partystuff. Thats the point where this mechanism gets useless when it comes to avatars. Most here have rather young looking avatars or even a different genders. From facebook point of view it gets less likly to hit a potential customer.

Why some accounts get banned and others not. Well I guess its the same with timeline. Some got them and others are free from it since months. Nobody knows why. Maybe its easier to detect some accounts while others are more difficult to detect?

That is correct, REAL PEOPLE have accounts but you CAN have a Ficional Character have a Page. As I indicated when you create a page you select the category and subcategory and one of those is "Fictional Character".

Also, as mentioned, a real account own the page but both have real eyes and real information so it remains valuable otherwise it wouldn't have been there by now.

I am a real person but my avatar is a Fictional Character, so my FC has a Page rather than an account. Downside is... as a Page (that of my FC) you cannot LIKE or Add Friends a real account. Unfortunately that means my "Chris Breitling" page has no means of making Kienete's personal profile (even though it is a fictional character) a LIKE :(

So people, if you want to be on the safer side create a Fictional Character page instead. A page can like another page but cannot LIKE a profile. Or alternatively instead of a "Fictional Character Page" you can create a Page categorized as "Personal Blog" such as Juicy Bomb.

Tamara Artis wrote:

My rl friend has made Fb account for her dog and I have her dog as friend on my Fb hahaha. And, when she logs in to her dogs account, she likes all stuff that she normally likes. It is the real person behind it, no matter what is it, account, page or a group. 

My sl friend not only has a fb page for her avatar but also has one for her Zoobie baby !! :cattongue:

Jeanne

OK fellow SL'ers, let's stay on topic please, this thread was created so that people that actually have a Facebook Page for their ficitonal character (or as blog of their fictional character) post their URLs here so that we can exchange LIKEs and enrich each other with our findings and other information.

It is not about other peoples babies, cats, dogs or whatever. And yes, it is perfectly OK to create a page (which belongs to a real life account) for a FICTIONAL CHARCTER or PERSONAL BLOG of your character. It does not violate FB TOS.

Second Life is your "new chance" at life, its does not have to be your first life (RL), may be modelled after your RL but your SL is a SL. You don't want to mix your personal & family RL stuff with SL stuff that most likely will not interest them.

So, if you have one post your URL here, if you don't maybe you should consider creating one if you plan to keep it updated.

In mine I post stuff of my daily life in SL, places I discover, hotspots, and stuff found in the marketplace. Others have pages for their Second Life fashion, clubs, etc. so let's keep it going. There are already a few of us.

You do NOT and must NOT create a fake account. Simply under your personal account or whatever account you have, visit the link at the bottom that says "Create a Page" and in the main category choose "People" (something like that) and in the subcategory choose either "Fictional Character" or "Personal Blog". If you don't want people to know which RL FB account owns your page, don't do LIKE to your own page. Whatever you post in your Facebook Page is done by default under the name you gave to your page.

chrisbreitling wrote:

OK fellow SL'ers, let's stay on topic please, this thread was created so that people that actually have a Facebook Page for their ficitonal character (or as blog of their fictional character) post their URLs here so that we can exchange LIKEs and enrich each other with our findings and other information.

It is not about other peoples babies, cats, dogs or whatever. And yes, it is perfectly OK to create a page (which belongs to a real life account) for a FICTIONAL CHARCTER or PERSONAL BLOG of your character. It does
not
violate FB TOS.

Second Life is your "new chance" at life, its does not have to be your first life (RL), may be modelled after your RL but your SL is a SL. You don't want to mix your personal & family RL stuff with SL stuff that most likely will not interest them.

So, if you have one post your URL here, if you don't maybe you should consider creating one if you plan to keep it updated.

In mine I post stuff of my daily life in SL, places I discover, hotspots, and stuff found in the marketplace. Others have pages for their Second Life fashion, clubs, etc. so let's keep it going. There are already a few of us.

You do NOT and must NOT create a fake account. Simply under your personal account or whatever account you have, visit the link at the bottom that says "Create a Page" and in the main category choose "People" (something like that) and in the subcategory choose either "Fictional Character" or "Personal Blog". If you don't want people to know which RL FB account owns your page, don't do LIKE to your own page. Whatever you post in your Facebook
Page
is done by default under the name you gave to your page.

how do we know youre not a spy for FB trolling for fake FB pages so you can report them & have them banned?

ppl would hav2 be crazy to post their urls

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

how do we know youre not a spy for FB trolling for fake FB pages so you can report them & have them banned?

ppl would hav2 be crazy to post their urls

Jeanne

That is one of the scary things about "liking" SL on Facebook.  It automatically gives them a list to double check.

And BTW, you don't have to be logged in to Facebook for it to happen.  If you choose "like" on a Second Life page, IT MAY (possibly WILL?) SHOW UP IN YOUR FB Account that you did it.  Sometimes cookies really are the Devil.

I am not a spy for FB but if you choose to be paranoid that is not my problem...

Why on earth would FB put "Fictional Character" in their (sub)categories if they want to delete them? do you know all the work that it entails to allow something to pollute your database on purpose just to spend real life $$$ tracking them down to delete them?

Anyway. obviously ppl don't want to remain in topic and prefer to succumb to paranoidism. Nobody is forcing you to do it, if you don't want then don't do it. As simple as that.

• 1 month later...

That's funny.

That was my first thought, "FB want to sniff out those remaining Accounts"; Bad dog! :smileymad: :smileyvery-happy:

I do not have any pages at FB.

Aside from the complete lack of privacy, and numerous opportunities for online scamming; I don't really have a reason to dislike FB. Second Life, has helped in understanding what people might do in FB for 3-4 hours.

A dedicated FB platform, for all FC's, would be popular.

Still not sure if I would join.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for posting this Chris, I too have gotten kicked from Facebook twice.  I give up really.  I HATE Facebook and that is a powerful statement for me because I try not to hate anything or anyone.  Please connect to me and I will connect with you.  I look forward to chatting with you...

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/mslixenalamourfou

Google+:    http://gplus.to/Lixena

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.