File This Under: "You just cannot make this stuff up!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From JIRA SVC-7125: Bring Back Last Name Options!

EPIC FAIL - YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE JUST HAPPENED

1) Can't remember password
2) Go To SL website to request
3) Confirmation of Hint: Check
4) Next Question: "Three last names of your friends are listed below, what first names belong to them?"

Answer A: ___________ Resident
Answer B: ___________ Resident
Answer C: ___________ Resident

Now PLEASE tell me, how the heck am I going to get this one right, with over 500 people on my friends list?
Something tells me I'm sooo going to get this one wrong... :smileyfrustrated:

FAIL 

You only have to know any of the 3 of your 500 lol If you dont even know 3 of them . Are they really friends? lol

But that is pretty funny. unless those are 3 specific names that they picked for you to answer. that is kind of silly lol

You could be there for 3 or 4 hours trying to spin the right combo of names. then suddnely . Jackpot! lol

I believe that page works by selecting three specific names from your friends list, then you must match the proper first names in the proper order. So the number of combinations is (if my math is correct, but it's been eons since I had to solve one of these) something like 500 ^ 3 (500 cubed). That's 125,000,000 possibilities. If you do two per minute, and assuming you hit it halfway through .. that's 1,041,666 hours and 40 minutes .. or just about 119 years straight through with no breaks for eating, sleeping, answering stupid questions from family and friends wondering why you're still sitting at the computer ... etc. And of course that assumes you can accurately remember all 500 with no spelling errors.

Yeah, what the heck. I got nothing better to do, right? ROFL!

Unless it's been changed, it is three names one selected in advance like the "security questions"  many websites have to reset the password.  The last time I reset my pw on SL and had to answer that question I had to stop a minute and think, but the first 3 names that popped into my mind were indeed correct.

Of course only having oh...20 names on my friend's list made it easier. ;)

Shelby Silverspar wrote:

It is an epic fail. Those ARE specific names and if you get them wrong three times, you'll be locked out of your account. There's been a discussion about this exact thing going on over at slu.

Maybe that's the real problem with retaining new users. They just can't get back into their accounts.

>Maybe that's the real problem with retaining new users. They just can't get back into their accounts.

Sure.

Anything to keep them from cashing out.

How much money, on average, do you think probably happens to be in someone's account when they suddenly "forget" their password?

OMG! Heck, even if they were not all Resident. I'd have a hell of a time. I friend every1. Imagine 6 years of friends? Even just a last name like Oh, would leave me with dozens of options. Probably the rarest last name that I have in my friends list is my own, Simoni. I try not to even bring up my friends list inworld, as everything will freeze up for a good few minutes. I remember arguing with Oz a couple years ago when LL implemented those tiny icons in our friends list. He couldn't understand why any1's viewer would freeze up. Duh, yeah, not if you only have 3 friends, which is probably the norm for most Lindens.

What about friends with names like "john83465026 Resident" or these long names where people tried to describe themselves like "DontHateMeCauseImBeautiful Roddenberger", and you type john83465028 or you type DontHateMeBecauseImBeautiful?

Fail method is fail.

Luc Starsider wrote:

No, you can friend up to three Residents and you'll be fine.
:D;)

- Luc -

you only get 3 goes at it and you have to get in exact order i think

3 x 2 x 1. so fail half the time

if not have to get in exact order then like you say will get in 1 go

+

also if order not matter and can have as many goes as you like then in the OP 500 case. 500x499x498 / 3x2x1 or only about 35 years on average with same assumption as OP

+

or if linden made like a game so when you pick a name it says higher or lower then the 500 will take about 27 goes to get the 3. if the names are sorted then you can get a feedback so can pick in about 22 goes

(:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.