Help needed please!

Illyriana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm having a huge issue with mesh. In the past, i was perfectly able to see it, even though my computer is not really powerful. But i was stil able to see meshes things. And recently, it stopped to works.. Just like that, one day when i logged no meshes worked. I changed nothing on my computer. I'm not sure what's going on, but i bought few mesh things and i would like to see them :/.

When i'm wearing a mesh item, it appear invisible. I only see the alpha layer coming with the mesh. Sometimes i see the mesh hairs on the ground, even though it's attached on my head. (lol). Then it disappear again. I must admit that i'm lost, i'm trying everything since few months. I tried a lot of different viewers, but nothing. I tried few things, such as clean installation, but still nothing. Anyone already got the same problem? How can i fix it?

[ Please understand, my computer is not really what i could call a powerful computer, but i was able to see mesh until now. I know i can see mesh with it, i just don't understand why it suddently stopped. ]

Looking forward for help. _ Illyriana.  [ English not my main language, forgive me. ].

I already tried to post but nobody answered me, hope i'll havemore luck now. Help is really needed.

Hello, Illyriana,

I am sorry I am unable to help you with this problem, as I do not know why you are not able to view mesh currently. 

Could you please change the colour of your original post to black, or a dark colour.  It is not very easy to read, and this may be discouraging people from responding.

I am sure other people will then come along and advise you how to get mesh working again.

Can you please also add to your thread to tell us which viewer you are actually using.

Many thanks.

Hello,

Marigold : Thank you for answering me, dear. Color is fixed :P. I'm currently using Phoenix viewer [ Mesh version. ] 

Carl : Hello, dear. Sure thing. And i tested a lot of different mesh viewers. Such as Firestorm, Viewer 3, Exodus, etc. Nothing. I don't understand what happened, it used to works perfectly still a few months ago. [3-4 months.] 

This may or may not be of any help. But this is what I would do first, as I recently had the exact same problem, and still to this day do not understand how the setting got changed by itself.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Graphics, make sure Custom box is checked, in the box there is an area near the bottom on the lefthand side that says "Avatar Rendering", make sure that Hardware Skinning is checked. If it's not checked, you cannot see mesh(or at least, shouldn't be able to). Even with a less than powerful computer, one can still run with this setting checked with little to no issue. I have run it on very crappy systems myself just to test it.

If that does not help, it might be a good idea to post your system specs here, so others with far more knowledge can help. You can find them under Help>About Phoenix Viewer. Also you can go again to Edit>Preferences>Graphics and let folks know what you do and do not have turned on, and what those on are set to. It might give a little more insight.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with phoenix. I can see mesh on firestorm and singularity but not on the  latest version of phoenix. I went to graphics, but the hardware skinning is greyed out and I cannot check it. It's odd that on other viewers I can see mesh but not on phoenix. Any other suggestions as to what can be done? Thanks in advance! Also, I'm not on the best of computers right now, either. Here are my specs and yeah I know it's not the best computer (my good one is in the shop) 

CPU: Intel® Celeron® CPU 540 @ 1.86GHz (1862 MHz)
Memory: 1014 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. Real version: 6.0 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 7.14.0010.1437
OpenGL Version: 1.5.0 - Build 7.14.10.1437

Heart

ETA: specs. 

Ok, under graphics you need to make sure you have Bump Mapping and Shiny, and Basic Shaders checked as well, in order for hardware skinning to be able to be checked.

I have a feeling the default for this is off, I ran across someone new a little bit ago with the same problem. Maybe they changed the defaults to accommodate people with less powerful systems, I don't really know.

If you do have those checked and Hardware Skinning is still greyed out, I'm not really sure why.

Hi Tari, I am unable to check anything other then Bump Mapping and Basic Shaders, nothing else works, but as I said I am able to mesh buildings and such but when I go to put on mesh clothing I see it as it loads but then disappears and the only thing left is the alpha layer and this only happens on phoenix. Maybe I should ask this over in the firestorm forum, they MIGHT know what is happening. But, thanks for all of the help! 

Heart

I had very similar problems when I first tried to view mesh to see what all the hoopla was about, what solved the problem for me was using Google's public DNS, read about it here Link to Google Public DNS site   A DNS, or Domain Name Server, is what takes a web site name, like secondlife.com, and returns a network address that a network app can actually use, secondlife.com -> 216.82.2.17.  Why did using Google's DNS solved the problem for me?  The answers I got essentially boiled down to "it's better" and "it's faster".  Hope this helps.

I had the same problem, I suddenly was unable to see mesh. What fixed it for me was setting MeshMaxConcurent to 1000 and using Google's DNS and then clearing cache and relogging.

Setting up DNS is so not difficult at all, there are complete instructions right here, all it is is changing numbers in a box.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Wheres-the-Mesh-o-O/m-p/1579035#M69159

Illyriana wrote:

Well, i will sound a bit noob. But well. What's DNS ? lol!

I never bothered to find out, I just know that using the Google ones worked for me and a few others, here is the Wikipedia definition:

The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical distributed naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. A Domain Name Service resolves queries for these names into IP addresses for the purpose of locating computer services and devices worldwide. By providing a worldwide, distributed keyword-based redirection service, the Domain Name System is an essential component of the functionality of the Internet.

An often-used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the phone book for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, the domain name www.example.com translates to the addresses 192.0.43.10 (IPv4) and 2620:0:2d0:200::10 (IPv6). Unlike a phone book, however, DNS can be quickly updated and these updates distributed, allowing a service's location on the network to change without affecting the end users, who continue to use the same hostname. Users take advantage of this when they recite meaningful Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) and e-mail addresses without having to know how the computer actually locates the services.

The Domain Name System distributes the responsibility of assigning domain names and mapping those names to IP addresses by designating authoritative name servers for each domain. Authoritative name servers are assigned to be responsible for their particular domains, and in turn can assign other authoritative name servers for their sub-domains. This mechanism has made the DNS distributed and fault tolerant and has helped avoid the need for a single central register to be continually consulted and updated. Additionally, the responsibility for maintaining and updating the master record for the domains is spread among many domain name registrars, who compete for the end-user's, domain-owner's, business. Domains can be moved from registrar to registrar at any time.

The Domain Name System also specifies the technical functionality of this database service. It defines the DNS protocol, a detailed specification of the data structures and communication exchanges used in DNS, as part of the Internet Protocol Suite.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Here is the link to how to set up Google's DNS:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.