Wheres the Mesh? o.O

Camingo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi ive not long joined SL.  Ive used the new SL V3 viewer and firestorm, Phoenix, Catznip viewer all supposed to be mesh able viewers right??..Ok so why is mesh invisible to me?.  If i log on using a non mesh viewer at least i can see the mesh, it just looks real funky, but better than walking into things that are there but not  -_-.

I have mesh clothes etc and i see them on me fine..i just dont see other mesh objects.

Help.

Activate your Advanced Menu by pressing Ctrl Alt D

Go to Debug Settings

Type MeshMax

The rest will autofill

Scroll the number up until mesh becomes visible. Default is 32, I usually have to go above 100 to see mesh if there is a lot around. 

You can hit reset to default before closing the window if you want.

You may have to do this often or keep the number cranked up if you want.

Tonight though, I typed in 1000 and still had invisible stuff around me, on others :(

I think its all pretty foolish really.

What it illustrates is a lack of foresight in how mesh would get used.

Its rapidly replacing both sculpty and texture based clothing. Its making inroads into vehicles and houses, and a bigger inroad into furniture.

In a year, its likely to be the dominant form of content.

Yet there's a default setting in a place most folks don't know how to get to and adjust, that limits you to seeing a small handful of mesh items at a time...

This is what is best described as "oops"...

^^^My thoughts exactly^^^

But ya know, I just don't care anymore. I have seen people wearing mesh that have invisible torsos or legs etc. And I don't care.

Just tired of the hassle and the wait for LL to get their sh*t together on so many things. :smileyindifferent:

Land impact and cost was the biggie for me. But now you have to debug? Forget it. Go around with your pieces invisible, see if I care.

Prolly took this a bit to far. My apologies.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

So let me see if I'm understanding how this works.  Mesh gets a big penalty if it can be seen from far away.  Big land impact numbers for big things.  Then there's a debug setting that limits how much mesh you can see.  Doesn't that mean that a lot of the supposed land impact from mesh doesn't happen due to the debug setting?  Like we pay for it and then it's taken away?  I'm sure I'm not getting the big picture.

Oh, I have no idea about the big picture or any whys, I just know what sometimes helps. 

I was thinking that eventually the viewer defaults will be reset to reflect the larger use of mesh.

I'm just guessing though, like I said, I have no idea.

I agree with others though, it is becoming increasingly aggravating and I am just starting to accept that the world is full of torsoless hairless persons and that some buildings don't have walls and that sometimes clothes for sale don't sit on counters, but rather float in the air at counter height. :P

Thanks i will give that a go.  Just as a side note i installed singularity and tried that...so far ive had the best results with that viewer, i can see all mesh just takes about 5 or so mins for everything to load, but once its done everything seems ok :).  I wonder whats different in that viewer compared to the rest??.

Thanx again.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

So let me see if I'm understanding how this works.  Mesh gets a big penalty if it can be seen from far away.  Big land impact numbers for big things.  Then there's a debug setting that limits how much mesh you can see.  Doesn't that mean that a lot of the supposed land impact from mesh doesn't happen due to the debug setting?  Like we pay for it and then it's taken away?  I'm sure I'm not getting the big picture.

Oh, I have no idea about the big picture or any whys, I just know what sometimes helps. 

I was thinking that eventually the viewer defaults will be reset to reflect the larger use of mesh.

I agree with others though, it is becoming increasingly aggravating and I am just starting to accept that the world is full of torsoless hairless persons and that some buildings don't have walls and that sometimes clothes for sale don't sit on counters, but rather float in the air at counter height.
:P

Yeah - it's crazy out there.

Anyways - I tried setting that to 1 and I could see both my mesh objects.  So it's a number of pipes running at the same time thing.  Setting it to zero I could still see the items already rezzed.  When I relogged set to zero there was no mesh.  So like you say - it's a guessing game.

Thanks for the heads up tho - always something new to chase around.

Yeah, when I crank the number up, once the mesh appears I set it back to default before I close the window and the mesh remains visible. 

I don't now if leaving it at a high number causes lag or not. 

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I think its all pretty foolish really.

What it illustrates is a lack of foresight in how mesh would get used.

Its rapidly replacing both sculpty and texture based clothing. Its making inroads into vehicles and houses, and a bigger inroad into furniture.

In a year, its likely to be the dominant form of content.

Yet there's a default setting in a place most folks don't know how to get to and adjust, that limits you to seeing a small handful of mesh items at a time...

This is what is best described as "oops"...

Agreed!  For current financial reasons I am still using an old PC that does not run the new viewers, thus I cannot see mesh "accurately" at all.  I say "accurately" as I do see women with hair textured blobs or boxes on their heads that I assume is mesh hair. 

Add that to the fact that, as a merchant, I will not be able to use direct delivery for the MP once LL shuts down Magic Boxes and I may as well head to one of the other virtual worlds at that point.

LL is doing a good job of gradually losing residents.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Yep.

Just like how LOD for sculpties was set to 4 by default YEARS AGO when they became common.

Hmm...

;)

Ooooo... shiny new piece of candy...

LL Motto: Live for today because tommor.... SQUIRREL! -----> !!!

k backtracking here, i just logged in today and not seeing mesh on others again....sighs.  This isnt a very stable feature at all.  Im not going to buy mesh or wear mesh anymore and i dont see the point of using a mesh viewer now either, just to unstable.  Why was all this released when its not set up to function correctly in the damn first place grrrr.  SL experience is not so good atm.

I cant understand them using a feature thats not supported in a stable manner...thumbs down.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Tonight though, I typed in 1000 and still had invisible stuff around me, on others
:(

Same here.  Sometimes it happens that I might see some mesh object only partially loaded and rendered.  However big I crank up the MeshMaxConcurrentRequests the object does not load however long I wait.  Then when I relog it loads up immediately.  It's as if the mesh queue gets somehow stuck.  Only cure is to relog.

This would be really annoying if it would start happening often when almost everything will be mesh inworld.  I have never seen ordinary prims behaving like this, why mesh does it I wonder?  Prims are mesh too, so what's up with this imported mesh then?  Really strange.

PS

I have fast computer with excellent frame rates in high graphics settings.  My internet connection is fast too.  Viewer and network lag are non-issues for me.  I wonder would this "mesh not loading issue" have something to do with server lag?  Or something else in how the mesh is loaded?  Or a viewer bug?  I often use Firestorm 4.0.1.27000 in what I have seen this mesh loading problem.

Before you change your DNS settings to use Google Public DNS, be sure to write down the current server addresses or settings on a piece of paper. It is very important that you keep these numbers for backup purposes, in case you need to revert to them at any time.

from: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Last thing I can think of trying is clearing the viewer's cache.  Under the Network tab in Personal Preferences there's a Clear Cache button though I usually go to the extreme and just delete the cache folder.

Forgot to mention taking note of the old DNS settings because I'm use to seeing that set to auto-detect from the ISP.  I don't think my web browsing improved noticeably after setting my DNS servers, but it cleared up the inviso mesh problem.  Of course that was way back before V3, they've probably solved that bug and introduced a dozen others.

A few notes about viewers, I've been using FireStorm and Phoenix newest versions both of which seem to have no problems displaying mesh, though FireStorm seems to use up all of my 2GB system memory after a couple of hours and has to be restarted.  I'd really like to use V3 but it uses up the memory much faster.  Miss the good old days when 0.5GB of memory was considered a lot.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

Last thing I can think of trying is clearing the viewer's cache.  Under the Network tab in Personal Preferences there's a Clear Cache button though I usually go to the extreme and just delete the cache folder.

Forgot to mention taking note of the old DNS settings because I'm use to seeing that set to auto-detect from the ISP.  I don't think my web browsing improved noticeably after setting my DNS servers, but it cleared up the inviso mesh problem.  Of course that was way back before V3, they've probably solved that bug and introduced a dozen others.

A few notes about viewers, I've been using FireStorm and Phoenix newest versions both of which seem to have no problems displaying mesh, though FireStorm seems to use up all of my 2GB system memory after a couple of hours and has to be restarted.  I'd really like to use V3 but it uses up the memory much faster.  Miss the good old days when 0.5GB of memory was considered a lot.

Ok, I'll clear my cache and see if that helps.

If you like V3 but want a different viewer, I would recommend Exodus. I use it because I kept crashing all the time with V3 but I liked the layout.

Exodus is very similar, to me it is like a V3 update. I never crash on it, maybe one or twice since I started using it, but I was really pushing my machine's limits I think. Anyways, I was crashing like 3 times an hour on V3.

I tried changing the DNS numbers...first I tried 8.8.4.4 and could see mesh but not on me.  if i took off the alpha layer I could see my legs, but with it on my legs were invisable and so was the mesh i was wearing.  So next I tried 8.8.8.8 and wow, i can now see mesh around me and on me too :).  I have a few TP problems now and then since I changed it but its nothing major, Im just glad i see things as they should be.  Thanx to everyone for their help hugs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.