Your inventory and you..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering, how do you organize your inventory personally? Mine is so out of control I feel like I should be on "Hoarders", it's that bad. How do people do it to where it is functional?

Also do you hold on to older things you will possibly never use again or do you delete them? What is your reasoning for doing so? I have so many things I purchased but have not used in ages, it makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and delete them.. but then I think "but one day I might want that hair again for a certain avatar I put together."

So confused.

mine got out of control early on, and i found it hard to find anything. Then I decided to do domething about it and made folders of subject headings, then put things in those under sub headings. main folders like  furniture,hair,clothes,building tools, ducuments were also split into catagories as i had a couple of businesses, so keeping records separate was very helpful. It took me weeks to play catch-up with organizing it, but now when i acquire anything, i immediately put it in a folder that i associate it with. You (everyone) really needs this explained to them when they sigh up, just to save them the pain later on. Hope this helps

Mine is a mess because I'm always behind, but I do it as Anton described.  I never delete anything except absolutely useless junk.  I do store items that I don't use in prims, which cuts down on clutter a lot, whether you keep the prims in inventory or in world.

Something that has a lot of potential for helping with inventory organization is the shortcuts we can now male for clothing and objects.  With them, the same item can be, in effect, stored in two places, which can make some easier to find.   For example, I might have, under clothing a folder named Stockings, and put all the stockings in it that I bought by themselves.  I also can put links to all the stockings that are part of outfits.  That way, if I want to wear the outfit as purchased, they are easy to find, and if I am just wanting to select a pair they are easy to find.

I sat down one day and wrote down all the system folders.

Then under each one I started making categories.

Under those, subcategories.

So it resembled a book report outline.

For example:

Clothing

Shoes

Heels

Pumps

Flats

Sandals

Then, whenever I open something and try it on, I put it in its respective folder.

Life happens fast, so when my inventory starts getting things in it that aren't put away, I make a folder and call it Consolidation, or Stuff to Sort, or Objects, for just objects.

Then I put those in their folders.

Objects

Consolidations

Consolidation1

Consolidation2

That way, there are no loose inventory items, even if I haven't gotten to them yet, they are put away.

Now, when I want to find a shoe to wear, I type in a key word in the inventory search. If it is in one of the unsorted folders, after I try it on, I put it where it belongs.

In that way, I am sorting my inventory while enjoying life. Trying to just sit there and sort everything for me can get irritating very quickly. 

Here are some things that I do...

Make one folder called Inventory, where I place all sorted stuff. I don't use all default inventory folders.

In Inventory folder, at the top is one called !!!fast grab - there are huds, animations, and all stuff I need daily.

Then other folders: Animations, Clothes, Build, Fun, Jewelry, Skins/shapes, Shoes, Unsorted etc.

Clothes folder, for example, has subfolders:

• !wearing (my favorite items atm)
  • bikini
  • cute dresses
  • formal
  • shorts
  • skirts
  • and so on

Build folder:

• houses
  • furniture
  • garden stuff
  • etc.

I have one folder called Unsorted stuff to try. There I put free items, gifts and all other that I can't decide do I need it or not. When it gets big I take some time and go through all items, delete and sort them in their folders.

Notecards folder has subfolders too. One of them is archive. Every few months I make one notecard, date it, and place all notecards inside it. That way I don't delete everything.

My old landmarks are also notecarded and dated.

Objects folder has same subfolders as my Inventory folder; after unpacking I just move the box to her folder. Every few months I box them too. 

If you frequently shop at same places, there is a big chance you have duplicated landmarks and notecards. Filter inventory and delete all doubles.

Box all items you haven't used for few months. Leave only those you use. 

For now my method is working, I'm here for more than 2 years, working as a photographer (have tons of textures, poses and stuff for that) and I keep my inventory under 10k. 

Uhmm I got nearly 70.000 items in my inventory.. sooo I sorta gave up... once in a while I try to clean up, I mannage to delete about 20 items, then I find something and open it, and poooow I got 200 items more... so it aint working for me..

I am a Designer and I got bad memory, so I tend to keep multiply parts of each item.. My computer is overfloaded aswell..

But Im waiting paitently for my partner to log in as me and clean up, as he says.. *yeah right dear, suuuuuure I would do it* ... I waited for over 3 yrs for him to do it, sooo Im a paitent girl... *giggless

I organize mine like most of the responders. I also add pictures of outfits, dresses, shoes etc. to their folders so I can see what that item looks like. Which is helpful for those creators that don't include them. It also goes for anything you might forget what the heck it is in the future. Like I have 5 fountains and 6 fireplaces, a picture really helps :)

By nature of what it is:

Clothes

Garden

Home

My Products

Random Toys...

But also as a new top level "Mesh" - with all the subfolders under that. And in Clothing, the first folder is "!Mesh" with again all the sorting of mesh clothes in there.

- For clothes I pretty much don't use the non-mesh folders anymore. For other objects, I'm working my way through over time to replacing it all with Mesh. At which point the top level folder will be "Old Stuff" for whatever survives of the pre-mesh goods.

Folders and subfolders, sorted by item type.

When I buy things I try immediately organize them into an appropriate category.

I am still new, so these things are growing, but I am hoping to keep my inventory from getting out of hand later.

I plan to not delete anything that I've spent actual L$ on, but if I'm not using it I will likely store it in prims.

However you decide to organize it, that is your choice.

The key to keeping it in good shape is to properly place new stuff in the proper folders you have created. That and delete the junk that came with whatever you bought.

Me - I do that. Buy something, ditch the notecards, textures, and other useless crap. Then re-name it to something relevant.

So a new outfit might come as  - *****Tina's True Tragedy trowsers***** but I will rename it - Tina jeans.

Just something like that.

I have a separate folder for building textures and other textures.

When doing a set-up of a new home I moved into, I often have to remove my old junk from the old place so I tend to check items to see if there is already a copy and if so, it goes to the trash so I don't have two Microwaves or whatever.

On major cleanings of my INV like if I have negleted it too long - I just go thru each folder, having two INV windows open so I can easily move sh*t between folders like say a LM I actually wanted is still in a clothing folder.

Right now my INV is like 3,000 items, that includes the Library junk. I need to do a major cleaning soon. Not that it is bad but i am particular about that

I cleaned my inventory out a couple of months ago. I have just <2500 items left. I use a couple of organizer HUDS now, and some organizers inworld. My system is not perfect yet but it is way better then the cluttered inventory it used to be.

It takes time to set up a good system, but once you have it in place, it's pretty easy to keep it sorted. Here's what I would do. Set aside a good chunk of time (might take a few hours).

I recommend pretty much the same method others have suggested, just make folders by category or your items.

For example:

For your furniture & houses, I divide the categories like this:

Furniture, Landscape/Outdoor, Buildings & Houses,

For clothing, I sort items by each folder : Longe Dresses, Short Dresses, Pants, Shorts, Skirts, Shoes, Boots, Belts, Jewelry

If I have a lot of itmes by a particular creator, I make a folder labled by creator.

I also have folder for:

Poses

Dances

When friends pass you silly things like a squirt gun, sparkler, or other dumb things, I put them in a folder labled "Fun & Gadgets"

Tamara Artis wrote:

In Inventory folder, at the top is one called !!!fast grab - there are huds, animations, and all stuff I need daily.

I find it very convenient to have several outfits that are nude avatars with various combinations of attachments that I can wear or add to clothing outfits.  Their names all begin with "!" so they sort at the top.

As others mentioned, and what I found very useful when I found out about it, is you can have more than one inventory window open at a time. Just press Ctrl Shift I for each extra window you want :)

Also, if you don't know, holding down shift and clicking on items will select everything between two items. Holding down Ctrl will select or unselect items.

Lets say you have a cool costume that you wear around Christmas. It has 20 and something items in its folder.

Inworld, create a box and go into its contents window. Leave it opened. In your inventory, locate your outfit folder and drag items from there to your box contents window. Wait for all items to show up. Its a good thing not to drag all items at once but leave one or 2. Move them separate. When you see all items inside your new box, go in General tab and name the box, so you know what it is (default is Object). Close the edit window and take the box in your inventory. You can delete your folder with all those 20 and something items and later, when you need it, just unpack the box:)

If you want to go further with packing.. and if you created many prims with things inside, you can create another box and move all your boxed items into just one box.

Just don't forget to give your boxes names:) dates are cool too!

omg mine is so complicated now as far as the sytem of it..it's even hard to explain until i really sit back and think about it..it's a very deep line of sub directories hehehehe

first off i try to make sure that the main folder is up at the top..usually some symbol will put in right under the main folders..

my first folder starts off like this..i have like 13 of these main folders named something like.....

! [1A  Aceka]!!!!!!A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<<<<< A A Accessories

then opening that i have catagories that look like this..

! [1A  BOOTS] A <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

! [1A HAIR] A <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

then opening any one of those ..like hair for instance..it will go into designers..

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DETOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then types

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FLEXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SCULPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STATIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then styles...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOB's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHOULDER-L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it goes deeper into details.. like colors and streaks and hair bands..

it can go as deep as you want really...this is just what works for me...

OMG ceka that is so close to mine...

My problem is with about 70.000 things (yep hoarder here)  I just tend to get lost with what i did last week or last month, so i keep changing my direction... so its -----boots---- one week.. next week i try again  '''''boots''''' so i got plenty folders named boots by now LOL

Im still waiting paitently for my partner to log in as me and clean up my mess.... But so far I waited 3 yrs... Im a paitent girl... lol

madam Martian wrote:

OMG ceka that is so close to mine...

My problem is with about 70.000 things (yep hoarder here)  I just tend to get lost with what i did last week or last month, so i keep changing my direction... so its -----boots---- one week.. next week i try again  '''''boots''''' so i got plenty folders named boots by now LOL

Im still waiting paitently for my partner to log in as me and clean up my mess.... But so far I waited 3 yrs... Im a paitent girl... lol

i learned right away that i need to keep some sort of system.

those first freebies really piled up and were crazy hard to get rid of..i think for a year they kept popping up..

omg i thought i had gotten rid of all of you guys!!

another thing i do with everything  once i try it on is take a snapshot if it doesn't come with one..so i can see what the outfit or items look like..then toss it in each folder..

also one thing you can do if you have a lot of the same kind of folders..like you say you have a lot of boots folders..

for a real quick main inventory window clean up..i keep a to be sorted later folder at the top of each of my directories..then just toss all those strays right in their sections ..then  when you have time..oh i'll sort my boots real fast ..or my hair or whatever..

also i keep a main one in the main section as well for shopping sprees..anything i am buying  goes right in there and gets placed where they go once i am done or as soon as i do my fittings..

it really helps in keeping things from getting crazy and having to run all up and down the list looking for things..

because even recent items can start to look like an unorganized long list on some days hehehe

Something that I find helpful with storage prims is to have the prim's name displayed in hovertext when it is rezzed.  This simple script will do that if it is placed in the prim:

// This simple script displays the name of the prim it is in
// in hovering text above the prim.
// by Jennifer Boyle 1/15/2010
// Placed in the public domain by the creator 1/15/2010

{
state_entry()
{
llSetText(llGetLinkName(0), <1.0,1.0,0.0>, 1);
llResetScript();
}
}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.