Eighties... Video killed the radio star

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Twenty twelve: I don't think so.  I love the radio.  I listen to the radio much more than I view television, play SL, and have sex combined.  I listen to the radio in SL via streams.   Did video kill the radio star or did the stars just change?  Do you listen to the radio?  

I listen to the radio alot.  In addition to listening in SL (I am always wearing my headset and I expect music everywhere) I listen to the radio alot in my RL.   I like music, of course, but also some talk radio.  I used to have a shortwave radio when I was a kid and used to tune in stations from all over the world.  I think that is where my interest in world events started to develop.

Great question.

I love to listen to the radio, Soma FM Lush to be exact.  Turn it on every day for an hour before work.  Sadly, I cannot listen to music while I work, I must listen closely to mumbling doctors and other health professionals from recordings.  I have it playing constantly on days off though.  Even listen on my Android phone on occasion. Radio has changed though, as evidenced by the fact we are talking about streaming radio over the internet.  

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I love to listen to the radio,
to be exact.  Turn it on every day for an hour before work.  Sadly, I cannot listen to music while I work, I must listen closely to mumbling doctors and other health professionals from recordings.  I have it playing constantly on days off though.  Even listen on my Android phone on occasion. Radio has changed though, as evidenced by the fact we are talking about streaming radio over the internet.  

ZOMG! I love Lush!!! The whole group of stations actually including Underground 80's, Beat Blender, Space Station Soma, Doomed, Drone Zone, Cliq Hop, and Groove Salad. Listening to Groove Salad as I write actually. All of those are favorites. Before that I was stuck on Cryosleep, Bluemars, and Deepmix Moscow Radio.

It was SL that opened me up to so many more genres (especially electronic) that I can't do without now. One visit to Ethereal Teal was all it took to hook me on ambient/space music and I haven't looked back. What beautiful music to have had streaming on my property while I sat on the beach listening to the waves crash and looking out over the ocean with my partner. It would be scenes like that with such music playing that stayed with me long after I'd logged.

I never listen to regular radio though - always internet independents. Better music and I actually feel better helping to keep those stations alive.

I had no idea who Sia was until I started listening to Lush. I found out just in time to see her at a local concert hall not too long ago and was floored. My phone is now full of so much new music and it's all brilliant.

Oh, and I look great in my Soma hoodie and long sleeve shirt too! :matte-motes-whistle:

I listen to the radio all the time. If not the radio, there is some kind of music playing in my house most hours of the day(rl that is, not just sl, but sl does mimic rl a lot in that respect).

My kids love music as well. Even while doing their schoolwork during the day we have music playing.  Of course they have music class everyday as well, in addition to learning piano ;)

They're not big fans of talk radio but they do have a very eclectic taste when it comes to music and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm always listening to it. We definitely listen to way more radio and don't really watch that much tv. In fact until a couple years ago we didn't even have cable, and hadn't since 2002. Even when we're outside there's some kind of radio playing.

Tari Landar wrote:

My kids love music as well.
Even while doing their schoolwork during the day we have music playing. 
Of course they have music class everyday as well, in addition to learning piano
;)

I did that, too, and continued the practice through college and grad school.  However, I only listened to classical music during study time and then much later read that it was a good thing to do (specifically classical music).

it's mostly talk radio now in the morning..so i just shut it off..i listen to internet radio though all the time in my sim..but i am addicted to you tube if there is a song i want to hear..

i think it was meant as did video kill the radio star..not the radio..

in that sense i would say video did kill the radio STAR hehehe

Venus Petrov wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

My kids love music as well.
Even while doing their schoolwork during the day we have music playing. 
Of course they have music class everyday as well, in addition to learning piano
;)

I did that, too, and continued the practice through college and grad school.  However, I only listened to classical music during study time and then much later read that it was a good thing to do (specifically classical music).

Oh they love it. They listen to all sorts of music while working though. But they're kind of quirky kids. The 8 yr old likes doing his algebra while hanging upside down over the edge of the couch listening to neoclassical. I'm a pretty umm...relaxed teacher. I figure the more comfortable the environment, the better they'll do, and they've proven that theory to be quite true.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Twenty twelve: I don't think so.  I love the radio.  I listen to the radio much more than I view television, play SL, and have sex combined.  I listen to the radio in SL via streams.   Did video kill the radio star or did the stars just change?  Do you listen to the radio?  

I LOVE the radio. I take it to bed with me (in SL as well as RL!)

bed RL and SL.jpg

Night times I tune into medium wave on my very well loved transistor radio, some nights listening to German news channels, but only really understanding words such as "Obama" until I fall asleep, waking up to BBC Radio Sheffield.

We have cable TV in the main room here, and that has an assortment of radio stations piped through to it, so I often stick on Rock FM or Absolute Rock or Absolute 80s while doing the dull household chores.

And in SL at my house, the radio is tuned into HeartbeatzFM. 

LOVE the radio :matte-motes-big-grin:

Harlett Daines wrote:

...  Not to derail the tread, but would anyone mind sending it to me?  Or posting it here?  I am not sure if that's allowed.

I think we can post all the radio stream names of our choosing.  I don't have LUSH, but if someone else does it would be great to post here.   I am always up for trying a new radio stream.  

Perrie Juran wrote:

I love Radio.  Crank it up all the time.  Especially in SL.

What I really miss though are my Bogen Tube Amplifiers (twin monos) and my old vinyl.

Nothing equals the rich tones those produced.  Just nothing.

Except Shellac.

Listening to a suitcase gramophone that I made myself and sell.

i love the radio to me it still beat the best mp3 player you can get ya hands on,, why there nothing like hearing the dj talking about what going on around where you live,, the music some of the best is heard on radio for first time i mean when you first hear it sound so good like your first kiss in rl less you was kissing ya family lol:P but i say i love my old FM band radio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.