Is there any restrictions on what you build

mgjackson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm a new resident, but thinking about becoming a full memeber

Been looking at the private residences, and in some areas it seems a complete disaster...players 512m2 plots are all packed in together back to back so some have put up huge screens with fake back drops, in other places there's beautiful, presumably professionally built houses next to badly made home made ones.

Yet in another part of the mainland, plots have been neatly laid out in blocks with roads inbetween and all of the houses are sensible - no massive towers or strange or half finished ones.

Are there rules where in someplaces anything goes, and others where a degree of decorum in the house design is expected.

Thanks,

mgjackson

different landowners have different views. some say build waht you want. some likes to see that sim has some style and things are not random. sadly SL takes too much money for private sims. thats why so many good sims are closed or will be. it would be cool if you can get that 512 land as private land. not sure is it possible? then build what you want :)

your world your imagination

except for linden homes, linden mainland estates are not covenanted. can build anything you want

there are some mainland city-like built up areas as you have noticed. Nova Albion, Bay City, etc. while is no restriction on what can be built in these areas either, people do tend to build there in theme with their neighbours

Thanks.

Looking at the area where its civilised, its a place called West Haven, the streets owned my Micheal Linden, so presumably this isn't a private region.

Where is appears to be more chaotic is the area around the Arosa region and surrounding places.

Maybe its just different areas attract different residents.

The (almost complete) freedom to build what you will is both the great attraction of mainland and its downfall. The only restrictions are your own taste and your own concern for your nieghbours. Both of these parameters are highly variable in both geography and time. In some cases, either may be non-existent. (Where is the tearing-hair-out smiley?).

If you become premium and get a Linden home then that's the build you have and you can't edit it.

If you become premium and buy other mainland (owned by LL) then there are no rules.

Whether or not you are premium if you rent non-mainland the convenant depends on the ultimate owner.

(If you are not premium and want to own non-mainland you need to pay for a whole sim).

If living on a sim with some order and a unified building theme is important to you then land on a private estate with a covenant you can agree with is your only option. Choosing the right one may bring other benefits too in the form of more personal and faster service if you need help, being able to terraform your land to suit yourself (this is restricted on the mainland to +/-4 meters, and landscaping in keeping with a particular climate, as well as someone who can assure that the finite server resources are fairly shared.

If you want to build what you want where you want it without regard to those around you, Mainland is one option but there are also private estates where anything goes as long as you pay your tier.

Since there is no covenant on the mainland, even if you find a place that is consistent and well planned and all the land owners build in the same theme, that doesn't mean it won't change at any time.  Someone could buy land next to you and put something up that is very ugly or completely out of place with the rest of the sim, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.  Even if you rent land on the mainland from someone who owns the entire sim and enforces a building code, that doesn't mean the sim connected to it is owned by the same person or even a person that cares about that.

No rules on mainland about what you can build, with the exception it must be region appropriate.

If someone is doing something obnoxious to try to force you out and buy your land or make you buy theirs, that can be subject to an AR. People have done that in the past to price gouge although I can't imagine that working in the current land market.

The best thing you can do is look for a stable neighborhood where the land 'owners' have been there a long time, have roots sunk in and a reason to keep up the area. Hope they don't move. Buy a parcel near them.

Or rent on estate land, which has more regulation, depending on the landlord.

I was wondering that. in West Haven, the price of a couple of 512 plots was 40,000L$....that seems a lot, even in real money thats quite a sum.  

I think the location was West Haven (239, 67, 26).

If your next door neighbour decided to build (say) a sewage works next door, its going to adversly affect your land value.

mgjackson wrote:

I was wondering that. in West Haven, the price of a couple of 512 plots was 40,000L$....that seems a lot, even in real money thats quite a sum. 

You always get a few plots around at silly prices. I lived near one for several years, which was for sale for a very high price (and I believe it's still for sale). Land like that either sits there unsold forever or gets abandoned.

Private estates are often more expensive than mainland, but even there, they won't be that expensive.

Estate land can be very close to mainland in price.

The estate my land is on currently has parcels for L$50 and tier of L$300 - L$375 per 1024 sqm per week. The lower price is for interior parcels. A 1024 sqm interior parcel would be L$50 plus L$1300 per month (around $5.20 U.S.). A 1024 sqm parcel on mainland costs $5 per month and you have to be a premium member to get the mainland parcel.

The estate's covenant ensures nobody turns their parcel into an eyesore.

You can't build anything in the Linden Home regions.  You can only decorate your Linden Home.

You can build whatever you want on the Mainland, with a few minor exceptions.  This is why so much Mainland looks awful.  I happen to live in an area where the owners hold large parcels, and have made adequate-to-outstanding builds.  If you look around, you can find such areas...although you may have to wait a while to find a parcel for sale in them.

Some mainland areas like Bay City and Nautilus City are "themed".  They also have a double prim allowance.  Land values there are astronomical.

About 80% of the land in SL is on private estates.  These can be very good places to live, but be sure you read and agree with the restrictions in the estate's Covenant.  Violating the Covenant could get you kicked out, with no refund and no appeal.

For the absolute maximum in freedom, you can buy an entire private region yourself.  Freedom has its price though...$1,000 USD to start, and $295/mo. USD thereafter.

You don't have to be a Premium member to own or rent land.  You only have to be Premium if you want to buy land on the Mainland.  You can rent mainland from another resident, lease land on a private estate, or buy your own entire private region without a Premium membership.

I teach a class on SL land on Fridays, at 5 pm SL time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free for everyone.  Hope you can make it!

mgjackson wrote:

I think the location was West Haven (239, 67, 26).

If your next door neighbour decided to build (say) a sewage works next door, its going to adversly affect your land value.

Some parts of SL are still expensive, such as Bay City. But in general, mainland is selling for between .2 to 1 Linden per meter. That's an utter steal. People are having a tough time paying tier in this economy, apparently. I tiered down one level myself.  :(  

I have even seen rare snow land selling for .3 or so a meter.

>For the absolute maximum in freedom, you can buy an entire private region yourself.  Freedom has its price though...$1,000 USD to start, and $295/mo. USD thereafter

Yes, I was quite astounded by that. In the real world I own 13.5 acres (54632m2) of woodland and thought it would be useful to have that modeled in SL so we can have an idea of what any future changes would look like.

However, the monthly costs of the tier are actually more than the loan payments on the real thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.