IBTL: A prig's charter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coby Foden wrote:

Generally I skip the posts where the user does not care even about the simplest rules in writing:
no capital letters to start a sentence
, incomprehensible shorternings (even comprehensible ones like "h r u?" types..), no paragraphs.  It gives an impression that the person is sloppy, or tries to be "cool and relaxed", perhaps?  Naturally we all tend to make typos, spelling errors, grammatical erros.  Those are understandable and tolerable.

I admit to doing that but it's not intentional. I press shift-character every time but far too often my timing is wrong and I get a lower case character instead of what was intended (I think I release Shift too soon). I don't tend to correct those errors - that's my confession. I do correct them when it's "I" and comes out as "i". It's rare to see one of my posts that hasn't been edited, and it's almost always for corrections. In fact, I feel quite pleased with myself if I get a post up that doesn't have the "[Edited] mark. I tend to read my posts through in the Preview tab - a different view often makes it easier to spot errors - but I still miss some.

Another of mine is "tho" instead of "though". I usually use "tho" but, since the original discussion resulted in this thread, I'll stop doing that - especially since I pointed out (in the other thread) that non-native english speakers may well find it impossible to understand the text-type abreviations.

Now let's see if I can post this without having to edit it for errors :)

ETA: I had to edit it, dammit. I missed a word out - the one I've bolded.

ETA: <sigh> two corrections now. I'll stop checking after this.

I spent six months dating this idiot that always shortened his words into something barely coherent.  The worst thing he did was substitute no for know... all the time.  It was infuriating to have to constantly reread what he wrote over and over again just to understand a simple sentence.

A few months after we broke up, I had a conversation with him and he wrote in perfect English (he was a kiwi, btw... so English was he first language)... I was like, "Why the hell didn't you write like that the whole time we were together?"  His answer was something stupid and far from satisfying... I haven't spoken to him since.

After having gone through that ordeal, my attitude is that you can write as moronicly as you want, but don't expect me to take my time to sit there and try to decipher what you're trying to say... especially if we're not sleeping together.  Even then, it would have to be pretty damn good for me to put forth the effort.

...Dres

I'm a mutli-tasker myself. I type more words a minute than I ought to be able to and my brain and fingers don't always agree on doing things the right way at the same time. So, typos, and lots of them, are not strangers to me. I try to fix, but sometimes I don't. That's where multi-tasking sometimes gets me in trouble.

I also type out long winded answers that could be shortened. It's not in my nature to say what I need to say, in fewer words. At least not in type/print/text. Can't give you a reason as to why though. I'm just weird, and it tends to get me lots of insults, lol. I do abbreviate some things that others might not, or use words others might not choose. But I try not to make them so obscure no one would understand them. I don't use odd abbreviations that change the word entirely, though.

As for others. I try to take most things with a grain of salt. I have my moments when l33t speak just grates on my nerves. I simply walk/scroll away when that happens. There is one way some use l33t speak that I find more irritating than any other. That would be the people who are attempting to sound intelligent in their responses but use the most absolutely obscure l33t versions of words or the strangest short versions of things.(this goes double for things like no instead of know, and such, that's just plain wrong, they're not the same word and are not interchangeable). Those people while I prefer not to think little of them, I can't help it sometimes. Especially when I know they're capable of better communication as I've seen it, lol.

I do try to give benefit of the doubt when possible, which is most of the time. But some folks, just don't deserve benefit of the doubt, lol.

When English isn't your first language, it can be difficult to make your point, but I think most people do a pretty fine job. Those who struggle with it don't hide this fact as it's plainly obvious. I take absolutely no issue with that at all, ever. I commend them for even trying. I have a lot of family who are not native English speakers, so I understand that all too well.

Definitely a prig. I transcribe, edit and correct medical reports for a living.  Poor punctuation, missing/incorrect words and poor grammar in someone's medical report could be disastrous to the point of deadly.  The drive and concentration it takes to produce "perfect" reports makes it hard to turn off during leisure time.  I put perfect in quotes, because everyone makes mistakes now and then, so I am not a prig to the point of no mercy, and when someone is appearing to make an effort to communicate, I can overlook a lot of things.  On the other hand, if there is a clear apathy from the author for meaningful communication, I will share in that apathy with them and usually ignore the post.  

NFN (apochryphal UK medical notation).

I have offered a proof-reading service in SL.  Unfortunately those that read it most are the least likely to bother with it.

PS: I had to proof-read a book before publication once.  It's really hard!  Either the book is so boring you can't focus on what it says or you follow the story and assume you know 'what they meant'.  Either way it's difficult to spot the mistakes.  Scripting (and programming in general) is a lot easier because a lot of it is black and white - the thing either works or it doesn't

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

NFN (apochryphal (sic) UK medical notation).

Now that is funny.  There is little leeway for humor in medical reports in the states, and when it does come intentionally from the dictator it is spoken out of context, of course.  Most of the time the humor comes from poor dictation skills which requires a heavy hand on editing so the true meaning is not obscured by an ESL's unintentional  massacre of the English language. Native English speakers are not immune though.  A medical doctorate does not a good communicator guarantee.  Hence the rationale for my job. 

Oh, and sorry for the correction, but it should be "apocryphal."  I simply could not help myself. :smileywink:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Now that is funny.  There is little leeway for humor in medical reports in the states.

And here's that little leeway!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430805

http://www.messybeast.com/dragonqueen/medical-acronyms.htm

I rode with paramedics for a couple weeks years ago and learned that they cope with the stress of job using black humor, except when children are involved. They were an impressive and dedicated bunch and very funny.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Now that is funny.  
There is little leeway for humor in medical reports in the states
, and when it does come intentionally from the dictator it is spoken out of context, of course.  Most of the time the humor comes from poor dictation skills which requires a heavy hand on editing so the true meaning is not obscured by an ESL's unintentional  massacre of the English language. Native English speakers are not immune though.  A medical doctorate does not a good communicator guarantee.  Hence the rationale for my job. 

Having written medical device software (drivers, and such) I can assure you there is zero leeway for writing humor in the code.  There is zero leeway for error of any sort.

PudgyPaddy wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Now that is funny.  
There is little leeway for humor in medical reports in the states
, and when it does come intentionally from the dictator it is spoken out of context, of course.  Most of the time the humor comes from poor dictation skills which requires a heavy hand on editing so the true meaning is not obscured by an ESL's unintentional  massacre of the English language. Native English speakers are not immune though.  A medical doctorate does not a good communicator guarantee.  Hence the rationale for my job. 

Having written medical device software (drivers, and such) I can assure you there is zero leeway for writing humor in the code.  There is zero leeway for error of any sort.

And perhaps some day my gallbladder will thank you.  

Kenbro Utu wrote:

PudgyPaddy wrote:

And perhaps some day my gallbladder will thank you.  

And perhaps not.

Definite prig-at-heart, here, but not always in practise.

In forums I like having time to correct typos, as SL has almost totally ruined me as a typist (don't even ask about what computer-usage has done to my once-immaculate handwriting). I have too many ideas and type too fast inworld to get it right, although I do try. Often, I give up and go straight to voice.

But some styles of typing make me a bit judgemental (I'm not overly proud of this, but can't help it). Some styles indicate a laziness/selfishness to me, and I'll spend less time and effort on someone who won't put in some effort at clear communication. As others have said, it's the English-as-a-first-language miscreants who make me sob at the decay of society.

I was immed an "oi" a few days ago. Didn't respond. Am satisfied with that choice, as I somehow doubt anything insightful was ever coming out of that conversation. (Although it may have incited me in a different way.)

Learning the terminology is not difficult, nor learning the typing skills.  Learning to decipher doctors of all nationalities mumbling into digital recorders can only come with time and experience.  There is a steep learning curve after training when you start working with actual dictation.  Companies want/need experience, and breaking into the field can be very difficult without that experience.  The face of medical transcription is also changing with medical records going completely electronic within the coming years, and a lot of work is being outsourced overseas.  I would really hesitate to suggest someone make the investment to get started in this career in this day and age.

Aw see there you go, 16...it was doomed from the start...that's a language from the other side of the planet to me, and one which I've had little chance to run into before, and so "oi" came across as a mis-spelling of "oy" which I'd find rude as a first greeting.

Happily forced to live and learn, once again, and next time I will know to pull out the google translate :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.