Anti-Inspect devices

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just seen a new one of these in the Marketplace, via a thread in SLU.

The idea, if you haven't come across these, is that you envelop yourself in big invisible sculpted prims to stop people right clicking on stuff you're wearing to use "Inspect" to see where you got it from. 

They don't work -- right click and derender sees to that -- and this particular one is even worse, because it purports to tell you when someone's clicked on you.   Unfortunately for the maker, it's impossible to detect by script when someone right-clicks on an object (the touch event only fires on a left click), so that's two ways it's not going to work.

Anyway, if I see someone using one of these, I usually assume -- uncharitably -- that it's because they're wearing ripped content and don't people to spot it.    Quite apart from the fact they're ineffective, I don't mind people knowing where I get my stuff from -- if anyone is kind enough to say they like my hair or outfit or boots or whatever, I tell them what it is, and give them a LM for the store.

However, the sales pitch is "stop people copying your look."   Is this a pitch that makes sense to anyone?  Do people actually worry that someone else might like the shoes they're wearing and go and buy a similar pair?

"Inspect" is one of my favorite options! If I see something nice I want it too.. People seem to be funny about things like telling you where they buy there stuff *shrugs* I think there are more important issues to worry about then "omg like what if I tell her where I bought my shoes and she gets them too" Says more about them than about me is my believe

So let them buy that big invisible prim if they want too.
Seems pathetic to me.. but hey.. everyone their own choice....

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I've just seen a new one of these in the Marketplace, via a thread in SLU.

The idea, if you haven't come across these, is that you envelop yourself in big invisible sculpted prims to stop people right clicking on stuff you're wearing to use "Inspect" to see where you got it from. 

They don't work -- right click and
derender
 sees to that -- and this particular one is even worse, because it purports to tell you when someone's clicked on you.   Unfortunately for the maker, it's impossible to detect by
script
when someone
right-clicks
on an object (the touch event only fires on a left click), so that's two ways it's not going to work.

Anyway, if I see someone using one of these, I usually assume -- uncharitably -- that it's because they're wearing ripped content and don't people to spot it.    Quite apart from the fact they're ineffective, I don't mind people knowing where I get my stuff from -- if anyone is kind enough to say they like my hair or outfit or boots or whatever, I tell them what it is, and give them a LM
for
the store.

However, the sales pitch is "stop people copying your look."   Is this a pitch that makes sense to anyone?  Do people actually worry that someone else might like the shoes they're wearing and go and buy a similar pair?

First off, can you clarify?

1. Does does left click on the context menu after right click trigger the script?

2. Does alt/click trigger it?

Secondly, <hidecomment>......................................</hidecomment>

I really couldn't care less personally, and will tell anyone that asks. I take it as a compliment to my good taste lol. 

I have had someone copy my avatar twice now, or as close as possible since some of the stuff I wear I created myself.  Both were ex's who wanted their new gf's to look like me and went out and bought them a whole new avatar. Neither one told me, I just ran into them both (not at the same time) and saw them with my clone.   It was creepy but it made me feel better about splitting up! lol.

Perrie Juran wrote:

First off, can you clarify?

1. Does does left click on the context menu after right click trigger the script?

2. Does
alt
/click trigger it?

Secondly, <
hidecomment
>......................................</
hidecomment
>

No, it doesn't.    You can test this yourself by rezzing a prim, creating a new default script in it, deselecting the prim and then right clicking it and choosing "Inspect" from the context menu.   It won't say "Touched".   Same with ALT+Left or Right click.

A side comment:

It appears anti-inspect is built into mesh clothing. That, I'm suffering from /epicfail. I've been unable to inspect any mesh worn items I've seen on folks. If someone knows a way (legit) to discover the creator of mesh worn items, I'd love to know.

THis has me thinking that I need to ensure any mesh I make, if I ever get into making it, is linked to a prim, so people can find out who made it and come buy more of the stuff (course I gotta learn how to make mesh first... got a brand new guide to blender on my desk for just that purpose, but there's this problem between my chair and keyboard that's been holding up the process...).

Pixieplumb Flanagan wrote:

Rigged mesh, when worn, is unclickable.  In this respect it is like any texture layer you might be wearing.  There is no workaround that I'm aware off.

I'm sure there's a JIRA for it that it should be inpectable though I might be imagining things.

When I see an anti-inspect, I usually de-render it then say in chat all the things they're wearing but then i'm just a scamp. :)

Crtrl-Alt-T

Then i derender the (now not more) invisible hull.

Then I inspect you.

I really wonder that there are always new things to control, enforce or prevent something in SL. Nearly everything is useless or to circumvent. People obviously care too much about others than about themselves or just have fun.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

It's doesn't take very long in SL to figure out that we all look pretty much the same en masse if we dress in "similar" clothing. No, I don't see that pitch making sense to anyone who knows better, or has the experience in SL to tell them otherwise.. but strip all that away and pretend to be a snooty and vain noob and it might seem like a decent option. Possibly that's who this kind of thing targets.

Yes, I've seen people go ballistic when someone inspects them, or panic and try TPing away quickly, but from what I've noticed it's almost always the type of people who buy new things for the reaction they think it'll get from their peers.. ie attention or spotlight hos. Never have I seen this from anyone who merely buys things for normal reasons, and they are usually happy to tell you where they bought something.

For years I've had people trying to copy some of the looks I come up with, so much so that *I* was getting teased about it. I'd get IMs from friends like "Hey little Dana just walked in" or "Who said you could bring your kids with you today?". Was always good for a laugh, but I never cared if some wanted to do that. I'm usually quite happy to say where I got this or that at if someone chooses to ask. I'm also fairly sure I've ended up pissing a few people off when they've inspected my prim attachments, mod stuff like shoes, jewelry, and hair, because I almost always do a total rework of the item and it usually never looks even remotely the same when they get to the store and see what my item started out looking like lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never understood those huge invisible prim bubbles some people wear. I am surprised they are still being sold. Strange but the people who wear them never are wearing anything I'd want to wear anyway.

I am more than happy to tell anyone where I got something I am wearing. I take it as a compliment. No one is going to ask that if you look hideous.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.