Product unlisted from market place

BusinessManx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of my products has been unlisted from marketplace, this just happened, the product has been on the market for over two months. I dont understand why on earth LL would try to unlist a product from the MP with the allegation that i was "flagged for Spam" or possible "keyword spam" i just started listing products two months ago, but i have read the MP guidlines, especially the " keyword and item listing guidlines " and i dont believe i broke the rules.  I double checked keywords, and nothing i would consider to be keyword spam.The point i dont understand is that why unlist "One product" because of keywords, when i use the same  excat keywords for all the products, shouldnt they be unlisting all the products, since they contain the exact same keywords ? and if the case is "flagged for spam" why dont they provide any proof of that ?  just a Question, any input will be appreciated. 

This is what i recieved. 

Message to Merchant

We've removed one or more of your listings under our Marketplace Listing Guidelines. For the specific content removed, please check your marketplace inventory. Before listing items, please review the Marketplace Listing Guidelines.

July 23, 2013 15:23

Product "************" was flagged for Spam or Disallowed Listing Practices Keyword Spam (unrelated keywords that skew search results).

It's just that someone flagged the product in question and the product review team reviewd it and agreed with his/her opinion. They review only the products which were flagged, so even if your other products have the exact same keywords, they aren't always unlisted. File a support case and ask them what keywords were considered as spamming.

Thank you, i have submited a case, its very unfortunate for some people to get their products unlisted without a very specific reason as to why it was unlisted. If you check the keywords used by many marchants there seems to be unrelated words to the product, yet their products are not unlisted cause no one seems to have the time to report it, but theres a select view who get threatened so they take action. Keywords are tricky, some say the same word cant be repeated twice "Beautiful dress, hot dress" or something unrelated to a specific product, if you sell a horse saying " luxurious, animation, quick etc" would leave you vulnerable. It seems theres not enough info on their keyword section in the guildlines. But yeah thank you again, i have submited support, hope they respond. 

Absolutely right however I would question your statement "the product review team reviewd it and agreed with his/her opinion"

I don't believe there is a serious 'product review team' and if there is a review person that same individual is unbelievably overworked and does not take care to seriously evaluate a flag. Thus all flags regardless of whether they are legitimate or not are automatically upheld - just for sheer convenience of said employee.

Jeez! LL can't even afford time or money to fix all the mistakes and bugs endemic in the Market Place programming so the idea of them employing a specific 'team' to review all the flags sent in by their trigger happy vigilantes beggers belief.

^L^

Lasher Oh wrote:

Absolutely right however I would question your statement "
the product review team reviewd it and agreed with his/her opinion
"

I don't believe there is a serious 'product review team' and if there is a review person that same individual is unbelievably overworked and does not take care to seriously evaluate a flag. Thus all flags regardless of whether they are legitimate or not are automatically upheld - just for sheer convenience of said employee.

Jeez! LL can't even afford time or money to fix all the mistakes and bugs endemic in the Market Place programming so the idea of them employing a specific 'team' to review all the flags sent in by their trigger happy vigilantes beggers belief.

^L^

Agreed.

pulled this from one of your Jeep Grand Cherokee look a like cars...

Keywords: jeep,truck,vehicle,srt8,fast,racing,race cars,engine,wheels, nitro,SUV,pro street,haru,lusch,chrome,mesh,vehicle,FBI,CIA,luxury,rich,cheep,beautiful,family,rp,role play,modern,mafia,nice,cool,hot,100% 

The stuff in blue... I would say those would be spam.

Btw.. just so you know.

Branding Guidelines

Branded items may be listed or sold only by the brand or intellectual property owner or its authorized agents. A "branded item" is an item that:

• contains or uses a brand name or logo;
  • replicates or closely imitates the appearance of a real-world physical product of a brand owner (for example, items that replicate the appearance of brands of cars, jewelry, or shoes that are available in the real world);

Thank you, I made a change to it now, i will acknowledge the mistakes i made, and will take any opinion on the matter. But what confuses me is that most of the keywords you highlighted is also used in other vehicle products, keywords such as "nitro,engine,hot , luxury" can be found in other products. for example, one of the best selling motorbikes which has over 200 reviews on MP has "Hot and Nitro" listed as one of the keywords.Why is it that a select few is punished, when others are let go ?what kinda message does that send ?. If Linden Lab truly implemented those rules and points, dont you think most of the items on MP would be unlisted ? Does it really take an anonmous "flag report" to unlist an item from the PM, if thats the case i wont be surprised if there is an Army of "reporters" being hired by a mastermind Marchant tyring to take out the competetion lol. Also I noticed you bolded the last point under the "branding guidelines", and bolded the word "car" with blue, again, if that point was truy implemented most cars on MP would be unlisted. Firetrucks,SUVs,Lamborghinis etc There are many cars that ressemble real world products on the PM, even cars have names such as "BMW, Mercedez, Dodge etc" yet they are on MP still. But thank you for that input, i never knew "wheel would be considered spam since they are related to a vehicle. Also i provide wheels with the pakage, dont know why that would be spam, but i will be changing it. 

BusinessManx wrote:

Thank you, I made a change to it now, i will acknowledge the mistakes i made, and will take any opinion on the matter. But what confuses me is that most of the keywords you highlighted is also used in other vehicle products, keywords such as "nitro,engine,hot , luxury" can be found in other products. for example, one of the best selling motorbikes which has over 200 reviews on MP has "Hot and Nitro" listed as one of the keywords.Why is it that a select few is punished, when others are let go ?what kinda message does that send ?. If Linden Lab truly implemented those rules and points, dont you think most of the items on MP would be unlisted ? Does it really take an anonmous "flag report" to unlist an item from the PM, if thats the case i wont be surprised if there is an Army of "reporters" being hired by a mastermind Marchant tyring to take out the competetion lol. Also I noticed you bolded the last point under the "branding guidelines", and bolded the word "car" with blue, again, if that point was truy implemented most cars on MP would be unlisted. Firetrucks,SUVs,Lamborghinis etc There are many cars that ressemble real world products on the PM, even cars have names such as "BMW, Mercedez, Dodge etc" yet they are on MP still. But thank you for that input, i never knew "wheel would be considered spam since they are related to a vehicle. Also i provide wheels with the pakage, dont know why that would be spam, but i will be changing it. 

just because they are in other products does not mean they should be. I don't flag items for keyword spam.. i leave that to the trolls with nothing better to do.

Yes.. most cars on the MP should not be there. They are copies of RL products and are against the listing guidelines. LL does not actively search their MP for things to remove. They should, but they don't.

The reason i would say that "wheel" would be spam is.. you are selling a car, not a wheel. If your car didn't come with wheels it wouldn't be a very good car, would it?

Yes, it wouldnt be a good....what if i was actually selling seperate wheels ? i provide 24 wheels with the product which is why i listed keywords as "wheels". Not in any way describing the ones that are actually fited to the shell. I think that case using "wheels" for keyword would be approporiate, since iam describing other wheels that ar enot fitted with the model. 

BusinessManx wrote:

Yes, it wouldnt be a good....what if i was actually selling seperate wheels ? i provide 24 wheels with the product which is why i listed keywords as "wheels". Not in any way describing the ones that are actually fited to the shell. I think that case using "wheels" for keyword would be approporiate, since iam describing other wheels that ar enot fitted with the model. 

Now seriously, how many people who are searching for a CAR are going to type the word "WHEEL" into search? 

I can see someone searching for a "luxory car" or possible even a "fast"  or "hot" car.

But Wheel?  Maybe if I was searching for a "wagon wheel" I'd use the word.  But not when searching for a car.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I don't flag items for keyword spam.. i leave that to the trolls with nothing better to do.

I don't understand this. These 'trolls with nothing better to do' are customers who use the MP to buy things and are frustrated with a search function that doesn't work properly. The search function is highly dependent on keywords. People know this and abuse it, and the more they get away with abusing it the worse the search function becomes. The commmerce team have stated that they do not have the time or resources to look at every single listing to find keyword spam - so a better experience with search is dependent on the 'trolls with nothing better to do'.

If I see keyword spam I would flag it - it's annoying to everyone except the culprit.

hehe. One persons search spam is another's useful search details. I'm guessing that LL keeps it cursory and token hoping the few listings that get taken off periodically and temporarily and backed by vague guidelines will influence peeps not to get too crazy with search words in a general sort of way and at the same time not annoy the merchant base too much with such inconveniences. If LL was really serious about reducing keyword spam, they would get rid of the store names as a keyword in general searches as I have found they are usually not relevant to the specific product being searched for, not in the least.

OK.  so I tried it. 

I put in a keyword on the MP search and a product came up on the first page that had nothing whatsoever to do with the keyword that I put in.  I looked at the keywords that the person had used and they were perfectly legitimate.  The merchant had only 4 keywords (all appropriate) used on this product. 

Then I read their very detailed, well-written description and that was where the word that I was using to search with was found. 

So my next stupid question is: is it keyword spam that is making it difficult to find products or is it the algorithm used to display products when a user enters in a keyword?

BusinessManx wrote:

BusinessManX is completely right about having wheel as a keyword, expecially if there are extra wheels.

Someone will probably be looking up something to do with changeable wheels on the MP, I garuntee you

now, a word like 100% is kind of ridiculous...

Nikkesa wrote:

BusinessManx wrote:

BusinessManX is completely right about having wheel as a keyword, expecially if there are extra wheels.

Someone will probably be looking up something to do with changeable wheels on the MP, I garuntee you

now, a word like 100% is kind of ridiculous...

if the keyword was "changeable wheels" then i would agree 100%.. but it's not.  it's just "wheels." Have you ever bought a car that didn't have wheels?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

pulled this from one of your Jeep Grand Cherokee look a like cars...

Keywords: jeep,truck,vehicle,
srt8,fast,racing,race cars,engine,wheels, nitro,
SUV,
pro street,haru,lusch,
chrome,mesh,
vehicle,FBI,CIA,luxury,rich,cheep,beautiful,family,rp,role play,modern,mafia,nice,cool,hot,100% 

The stuff in blue... I would say those would be spam.

Btw.. just so you know.

*Adds Drake to the growing list of people who owe me a new monitor as I wipe Coke off my present one*

I'm trying to figure out how FBI and CIA relate for this item.

Ilyra Chardin wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, but how are you seeing the keywords?  I can't even see my own keywords unless I edit my product item.

This is the tool I use and to which Drake is probably referring:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87938

I'm using Firefox so never tried it on IE.  Just click the green box in the upper right corner that says "Install" and you will be able to see the keywords immediately.

(I added the "instructions" because when I installed in on my previous PC I clicked the wrong button and got some adware installed.  That was before I began using AdBlock+ as I didn't see it this time.)

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.