Account Documentation - UK resident without photo Id

rabbierabbit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes thats what it says. but have to go back to the Evans vs Linden settlement

is here:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=14994713406594842869&q=%22evans+v+linden+research%22&hl=en&as_sdt=2,5&as_ylo=2012

and Inara Pey blog here: http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2013/06/30/evans-et-al-vs-linden-lab-l43-million-settlement/

basically LL cant close an account and keep/lose do you out of the assets in the account. No matter what is the reason or provocation for it.  The summary was that your stuff is your stuff and if a account is closed then the stuff has to be returned to the rightful/lawful owner when demanded

OP is the rightful/lawful owner of their L$ and any US$ balance they might have in the account. Is same true of any IP and/or copyrights that they might have in assets in the game

+

just about how long will they keep a  account

is a guy over the street. He was able to reopen a 2002 account. He had on the SL alpha/beta and never used

anyways he get it re-activated

his L$ balance is -$27k. like in the negative. (: LL parcel [search] fees and group liabilities apparently. 12 years worth. tick tick tick lol

eta: search

irihapeti wrote:

yes thats what it says. but have to go back to the Evans vs Linden settlement

is here:

and Inara Pey blog here:

basically LL cant close an account and keep/lose do you out of the assets in the account. No matter what is the reason or provocation for it.  The summary was that your stuff is your stuff and if a account is closed then the stuff has to be returned to the rightful/lawful owner when demanded

OP is the rightful/lawful owner of their L$ and any US$ balance they might have in the account. Is same true of any IP and/or copyrights that they might have in assets in the game

+

just about how long will they keep a  account

is a guy over the street. He was able to reopen a 2002 account. He had on the SL alpha/beta and never used

anyways he get it re-activated

his L$ balance is -$27k. like in the negative. (: LL parcel [search] fees and group liabilities apparently. 12 years worth. tick tick tick lol

eta: search

I forgot about those.

But we do need to remember a settlement was reached 'out of court' in both.

Ah, the joys of virtual law.  :)

rabbierabbit wrote:

Just for info, LL have accepted no photo Id available. There was no cashing out involved at any point by the way. Presumably the amount of l$ to the account triggered some threshold. The case has been closed.

Happy to hear you got this resolved.

One of the scams that griefers run is to steal $L's from (buy them with)  a compromised account and then dump them on an innocent acccount.  The innocent account then finds themselves in trouble.  It's wild but it happens.  So I wouldn't be surprised if LL had some flags in the system for purely $L exchanges. 

ETA, it's been requested that LL allow us the abilty to decline a payment but it's never happenned.

You may remember when L$27,000,000 was dropped on me due to 27 purchases of my million L$ poseball.

I put it to the Marketplace team at the time that since the funds had passed through their escrow account, business rules should have kicked in before it got to me...

I was told that things would be changed there. Who knows?

It would be nice to be able to set max rreceived amounts but it would have potential issues for merchants.

• 3 months later...

"But that said, now comes the idiotic over-reaching part "

I'm in the UK  and I got he same mail. All my payments have been frozen, and since I have no way of getting photo ID even if I wanted t do so , within 30 days. That will end my Second Life.

"their script"

yes I patiently explained to them that I had no photo ID to which they replied ,"We look forward to seeing your photo ID . . .

They have my IP address that confirms I am in the UK.

But whats really bewildering . Is why does someone , who is never going to meet me or need to confirm my appearance,want photo ID?

Why will it end it?  It's account suspension, not closure.  Though I still question why the account should even be suspended if there's nothing owing on it and cash out has already been frozen.

I don't buy the "but it can be sent elsewhere" because they can freeze the re-purchase of L$ or whatever.  It's a lame uncoupled excuse that doesn't have merit.

Someone might just choose to change their mind and say "screw this, I don't need to cash out, i'll just continue to use the funds inworld".  There's no requirement for photo ID etc. just to spend L$ inworld so there's no justification for this action.

Go ahead LL... tell us why this shouldn't be the case...

Zen Gartner wrote:

"But that said, now comes the idiotic over-reaching part "

I'm in the UK  and I got he same mail. All my payments have been frozen, and since I have no way of getting photo ID even if I wanted t do so , within 30 days. That will end my Second Life.

Just fake something. LL won't know the difference. I once showed an LA cop who pulled me over my son's Legoland Driving Licence. Maybe he was as literate as most of the participants of these forums.

• 9 months later...

Madpeter Zond wrote:

sadly I have the same issue and as I dont trust LL / what ever company ends up with storing the photo ID my account is going to die along with 9 years of stuff.

oh well it was fun

So totally your own fault, but you chose to complain anyway?

Hope you never run into problems with your bank or inssurance (both are essentially companies too, you know)

• 4 years later...

I just had the same thing I have never taken money out.  I just went to pay in my usual 30 something quid ( I do every week ) and Bang.  I am guessing something has changed there this week as I have paid in 70 quid on occasion in the past with no problem.  I have a photo drivers license tho it was not used to set up my bank as that was years before I learned to drive.  Plus we did not have photo licenses until recently.  I have no idea what was used back then as it was in the 1980s.

Just hoping it is not some sort of con sigh

6 hours ago, Chesso Greenwood said:

I just had the same thing I have never taken money out.  I just went to pay in my usual 30 something quid ( I do every week ) and Bang.  I am guessing something has changed there this week as I have paid in 70 quid on occasion in the past with no problem.  I have a photo drivers license tho it was not used to set up my bank as that was years before I learned to drive.  Plus we did not have photo licenses until recently.  I have no idea what was used back then as it was in the 1980s.

Just hoping it is not some sort of con sigh

They were conducting unscheduled billing maintenance earlier.  Not sure if that might have caused an issue.

On 12/15/2014 at 9:47 PM, rabbierabbit said:

Hi,

got an account that has been flagged for the US tax declaration stuff. I can't comply with the photo id requests, not in the US so no SSN, (LL can't validate a UK NI number anyway). Not using the account to transfer l$ to real money so hoping that might be a route. Support are, lets be kind and say, repetitive in following their script to ask for photo id.

.. any suggestions on how to stop the account being put on hold?

thanks.

Edit to add - I am sorry I totally missed the date on the post - please just ignore me.  I'll keep my post below just in case anybody else ever has UK ID issues!

Do you use "that" (or any) account for commerce in anyway?  Cashed out ever?

Regardless of your ID challenge, you do need to fill in the W8-BEN or they will have to freeze your accounts so I would make it a priority.  It's simply to ensure they are withholding (or not withholding) tax properly.  You will give your NI number for your Foreign Tax ID.  The UK and USA have a tax treaty. In addition, if you did have a US address (now or in the past) or are an American Citizen (sounds like you are a Brit and are domiciled in the UK so unlikely to apply to you) under FATCA, tax information is shared to the US from the UK to combat tax underreporting or fraud.  However the W8-BEN is still required and you need to get is sent back asap.

On the ID front, from memory one option you may want to open a support ticket and ask if you can submit non photo ID by using a combination of birth certificate, plus bank card, plus bank statement plus utility bill, HMRC Tax notification) a package of official information.   Technically the law doesn't state it has to be photo ID.  It simply has to be sufficient to ID you... so they may be able to accept the other forms when used in combo. It's worth a try whilst you sort out some Photo ID in the meantime.  The objective for is for them to confirm your legal name. date of birth and address so if you can supply other official documents to achieve that it's sufficient for Know Your Customer CIP programs for Money Service Businesses.   

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
Clarification
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.