can you get banned for sharing a account with someone who uses different ip address ?

Missrica24

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

if you and your partner decide too make an account that you both can log into and add money into would LL get invovled or would accounts get banned from sharing account but your only using it for kinda like a bank for you and your partner?

10 answers to this question

No, you won't get banned for it.  However, the account is under ONE person's name, so if there is ever a problem with it -- failure to pay SL fees, TOS violation, .... -- then that person will be the one who gets in trouble.  Also, if someone else has access to the account, that person could decide to run up a huge bill, or buy a lot of expensive items, or commit the account owner to buying land .... That's why it is always risky to share login information with someone else. 

• Like 1

As Rolig says, it's not against the rules, technically, but it is terribly risky.

Remember, if your account is Premium, there is a credit card or a PayPal account associated with it.  You want to give your SL partner, someone you don't know in Real Life, access to that?

Even if it is not Premium, you risk your $L and if anyone uses your account to commit TOS violations, YOU will be held responsible.  In severe cases, not only THAT account will be banned, but ALL your accounts.  Permanently.

And how do you know that your partner won't give the login information to yet another person, or people?

I wouldn't.

I have to say I disagree with the prior posts in answer to your question.  The Terms of Service clearly state that you may not "sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party without the prior written consent of Linden Lab".  Allowing someone else to use the account is a temporary transfer.  So, unless you (or the party who originally signed up for the account) specifically request in writing the ability to allow a 3rd party to use the account, it appears that yes, you (or the account owner) would be in violation of the TOS.  Refer to section 4.1 at http://lindenlab.com/tos#tos4

Hope this helps!

8 minutes ago, ponygirl149 said:

Well, technically, the tos says that disclosure is at your own risk, and that you are responsible for anything that happens from it

Just to note the TOS can change at any time and has since this thread started 4 years ago.  The wording for sharing disclosing your account can change 

There is the law (or a ToS) and its enforcement. Writing the rules only requires pen and paper, so to speak. Enforcement is impacted by reality. The enforcer has to be able to detect a violation and locate the perpetrator. So, often a law is not enforced because enforcement is unaware of the violation. 

In general a violation has to cause a noticeable problem to become visible to enforcement. That or someone has to complain. Changing IP addresses for a specific login is common. Some people travel and use SL. Restarting a modem/gateway device can result in an IP address change. Different devices will have different IP addresses. So, a change in IP address is not a tip off of illicit activity.

I think of many parts of the LL ToS as simple liability reduction on the Lab's part. Those points are for their protection and not something they mount a policing effort to enforce. Cause a problem in those areas and they may use a hammer. But, otherwise they are unlikely to send muscle looking for violators to beat up.

The risks people have pointed out are by far the more likely problem for you.

Discretion hides many crimes.

• Like 1

Nalates, one time I encountered this scenario.

A newbie was having all sorts of problems adjusting his appearance.  I tried to help him, but he finally said, "please fix it for me" and gave me his password (!!!)  I didn't want him to, but it was too late, so I decided to give it a try.

I entered his user name and the password he gave me, and I got a message at the login screen that said something like "You are logging in from an unknown location.  Access denied."  (The noob was in some country halfway around the globe from me.)

So...LL DOES track either IP addresses or actual geographic location, and some sort of safety mechanism DOES (or might, anyway) kick in if the activity looks like an account compromise.

• Thanks 1

While in the past there were folks that almost lost their accounts for letting someone log into their account (and perhaps others that actually did) the rules have changed now to "your responsibility" --- possibly because there are a large number of creator BRANDS that consist of many people and they all need to be able to access a "community" account for business purposes. 

As it has been said, it certainly is risky so personally I would not do it.  Easy to lose both money and work.  

So currently (and for several years) it has been a common and open practice with no one getting banned. BUT  --- :D 

I have been on one of those "community" accounts in the past and even hosted one for a year or so, but they make me nervous.  The group I was working with made sure we all understood that the "community" account actually belonged to one person -- and that she could get in serious trouble if anyone misused it.  The account owner takes the biggest risk, obviously, even if it's shared among friends.  Friends make mistakes and friends have spats that turn them into non-friends.  Linden Lab clearly has to limit its own risk too, so there are good reasons why the TOS prohibits sharing account access. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.