Deploys for the week of 2012-03-05 ROLLBACK

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Magnum channel RC has been experiencing a very high number of simulator crashes since the rolling restart this morning. We are rolling back that code to match Server Trunk. I apologize for any inconveience. We will commence the rollback at 5pm PT.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I updated the RC channels release dates this week. We need to change the release date from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning. I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause. 
Additionally we might be doing some simulator maintenance Friday morning. Details soon if we are.

Second Life Server (main channel)
We are promoting the code that was on LeTigre and BlueSteel last week. This is a maint-server project with some bug fixes and tweaks.
  • SVC-7631 New rate throttle on llGiveInventory. The throttle was loosened to 2.5k events per 15 minutes, double the previous value.
  • SVC-7660 http_request() fails to trigger on RC Magnum 12.01.27.248571
  • Fixed some other miscellaneous bugs, including a few crashers

Second Life RC BlueSteel
  • This is an InventoryAPI maintenance project.
    • Improvements were made to the way inventory transactions are handled in order to improve scalability and reliability of inventory transfers.
  • Bug Fixes
    • No external bugs were fixed.

Second Life RC LeTigre
The code in this channel is identical to the code in the BlueSteel RC channel.

Second Life RC Magnum
This is again the Threaded Region Crossing Stage 1 Project. 

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Hi,

I'm wondering on the status of SVC-7508 . This relates to not being able to cross sim borders with cars on Magnum. It's been another month after more information was requested that I supplied. Is more information needed, if so what specific information is needed? I need to be able to inform my friends and customers of any progress being made and if you note 85 people voted on this issue. Being that my sims are racing/driving sims it is imperative that we can drive between them. It's been three months since filling the JIRA and sorry to say the lack of any response at all even an acknowledgment that it was even read sure makes one feel ignored and not a valued customer

MB Robonaught wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering on the status of
 . This relates to not being able to cross sim borders with cars on Magnum. It's been another month after more information was requested that I supplied. Is more information needed, if so what specific information is needed? I need to be able to inform my friends and customers of any progress being made and if you note 85 people voted on this issue. Being that my sims are racing/driving sims it is imperative that we can drive between them. It's been three months since filling the JIRA and sorry to say the lack of any response at all even an acknowledgment that it was even read sure makes one feel ignored and not a valued customer

Don't tell me there has been a "lack of any response at all even an acknowledgment". Both TJ Linden and Caleb Linden replied. TJ moved your regions closer to each other in the datacenter to make region crossings work better. Caleb came to your regions and attempted to reproduce the issue but could not. The code that would have been causing issues on your simulator was moved to the main channel in early December. If the issue was as severe as you are claiming then every region in the grid would be experiencing the issue and would have been for 3 months now.

If issues like this are new and tied to an RC they will replicate in each region in that channel. If they do not then the issue exists elsewhere. We asked for more information. We can't fix issues that aren't bugs. In this case we were unable to determine that this was an issue tied to the server code. The issue as you have described it in the jira is resolved. Cars and people can cross the sim border. I will close this jira as resolved. When you have enough information to create a reliable repro situation that exhibits for vehicles and regions that are not your own please file a new jira for that specific issue.

__Oskar

Are you able to consider making the maintenance restart messages begin at least 10 minutes in advance instead of 5, as well as making the messages occur at most 1 minute apart instead of 2 minutes apart? Currently this is all the notification we get:

[2012/03/06 06:40] Second Life: Your region will restart in 5 minutes and 0 seconds for maintenance.

[2012/03/06 06:42] Second Life: Your region will restart in 3 minutes and 0 seconds for maintenance.

[2012/03/06 06:44] Second Life: Your region will restart in 1 minutes and 0 seconds for maintenance.

[2012/03/06 06:45] Second Life: Your region will restart in 0 minutes and 30 seconds for maintenance.

Considering that the snapshot backup is already being taken when we get the 5 minute warning, it really is necessary for there to be more advance notice.

The problem is not the length of the advance warning, but the way it's shown in the viewer. Often I notice them only seconds before a region restarts because the system tip toasts get closed and hide in the pile of other notices so you easily miss them. Those notifications should never close automatically.

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

The problem is not the length of the advance warning, but the way it's shown in the viewer. Often I notice them only seconds before a region restarts because the system tip toasts get closed and hide in the pile of other notices so you easily miss them. Those notifications should never close automatically.

I agree with both you and with the OP.  A little more advanced noticed so if you are engaged in an activity (for instance building) you can close it down with out feeling rushed  and the fact that the notice can get buried tooo easy.

• Lindens

FWIW I recently added code for our shutdown sequence to ensure there are no region state saves in the final 5 minutes.   A final save is done after everyone is ejected from the region and it's shutting down.   That's the state that's re-loaded after the software update.    There's no sense to start one in the final few minutes while everyone should be leaving, so that's bypassed now.

That said, I agree about the viewer notifications.  They're easy to miss.

First of all my intent was not to offend or pick a fight with you but to request more information after more then one attempt. I volunteered to help test magnum servers and report my findings here.I also run a business and I'm sure you'll agree that an upset customer is not a good thing and very frustrating when you can't fix the problem.

Sure they responded in dec requesting more info which I gave and I requested if that wasn't enough to please let me know what type and kind of information they needed and after that there was no acknowledgment or response until today. I don't have access or knowledge of the type of info needed to repair programming I've never seen. And using the freebie go cart to test when the issue is with a high quality type of cars being sold by several builders isn't the way to go. I offered a car to demonstrate what the issue is.It does effect high prim no attach cars more than others

If you want to duplicate my problem give me permission to send a car and try it. If it's my design or scripting fine or if it's sim related fine but I need a direction so everything isn't on hold. And I know others ,including builders, have had this problem on several different sims and they, for some reason , come to me instead of LL

Finally as to regions experiencing this issue there has been several JIRA's filed in the last three months on this issue. I will take the time to do further testing with other builders on another sims and file a new JIRA

MB, I appreciate the work you do and your patience. I agree that there latent region crossing issues especially for vehicles. We know this, we understand this, we're constantly working on ways to improve region crossings. The largest reason we created the RC channel promotion system was to determine new issues. When a new, never before seen, issue arises in an RC we can easily find and fix it in a timely manner. Issues that exists for all of Second Life, and have for a long time, take longer to fix. That doesn't mean that region crossing issues are not important. It does mean that for the scope of your regions on Magnum we need to be able to determine that issues are new. If you find an issue on your regions that is not reproducible on the main grid then we can determine that it is a newly introduced issue and we take those very seriously.

I do understand your need to run a business and if you feel that your business will be more successful on the main branch I will move them over to it.

__Oskar

I know it's no easy task fixing anything especially while it's running and I want to provide information  when something goes wrong before it gets passed along to the main.We all know it's when nobody reports an issue on a RC that cause all sorts of grief when it gets promoted to the main and bombs out. I propose we all get more organized  as a team or group of both lindens and RC sim owners in order to better communications More then just on Aditi.

I'd much rather stay on magnum for the most part I can find issues prior to my products being effected on the main but thanks anyway. Is there a list of sims that are on the magnum RC (or all RC regions)so I can see if my issue are my sims specific? It'd help me provide better information next time

Hi Oskar

Just found an interesting clue to the sim crossing issue I've been having. Yesterday morning several of us were all experiencing the problem of being knocked of world and when returning our cams were rotated 90 degrees and we were outside the car we were driving. Normally on Monday and Tuesday there always is a little extra lag...nothing serious... as LL prepares it's upgrades which was no different yesterday. And as normal around 6pm slt it went away but after that yesterday though one still gets knocked around a bit crossing the camera and sit pos problem stopped as well. I'm wondering what ever was being done is related to all sim crossing issues as in LL touched the tender spot where the problem lies?
Just food for thought

If the performance of inventory loading tonight is any indication of things to come, tomorrows restart will be a total disaster, as tonight we went form logins and inventory loading that took minutes to on that is taking hours.  If LL cannot do better than this they simply need to find some programmers that can and hold the people who are making this mess responsible for the damage they are doing, because like it or not they are very quickly killing Second Life, though apparently LL has its head so buried in the sand that they can see what is happening, or if they can cannot muster the will to fix it.

Hopefully, I am wrong and tomorrow will fix this disaster, I fear a fix is not even intended and that what we will see is just the first step down the road to destroying Third Party Servers and Phoenix in particular. 

I ran several viewers tonight and both Firestorm and the official viewer both loaded almost instantly. However there is a serious problem with V1 viewers where part or all of the inventory fails to load. The cure is to use the newer viewers that are designed for the new format that the system runs

Lydia your coming in here each week and bashing the staff adds no credability to your claims.

As for the issue you reported I have not noticed them in any of the weeks you have reported on RC servers or on my main channel sim.  I would suggest you look at the replies posted in your RC server problems thread as they gave you good information.

@Maestro and Oskar

The map didn't update until I had relogged, but I think it was just an oddity of the particular login. 

Also although my inventory loaded OK all the tabs show "loading..." for a good 5 minutes, though everything was loaded.

Nothing untoward on any other aspect, so I guess it was just a poor login!  Hohum!

BTW just to help you clarify, I run Firestorm 3.2.2 as my viewer.

The Magnum channel RC has been experiencing a very high number of simulator crashes since the rolling restart this morning. We are rolling back that code to match Server Trunk. I apologize for any inconveience. We will commence the rollback at 5pm PT.

__Oskar

That problem may explain some problems I had. Trouble is, Phoenix reports changes to the sim-server version as you move between regions, while my current Viewer, Firestorm, doesn't.

Nevertheless, the improvements to sim crossings are becoming obvious. I was making successful crossings in a vehicle at  over 100 kph, though the margins at that speed are inadequate.

Maybe it was worth a status message?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.