SANSAR - when

sarastip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In her blog, Living In The Modem World. Inara Pey has an article dated July 25th called The Sansar Summary -- July 2015, which gives the bullet points, including the probably timescale, drawn from recent LL speeches and interviews (primarily with Ebbe Linden).   

It may, she suggests, open to the public at the end of 2016, but nothing's written in stone.

Sorry I can't give you the url, but posts with non-LL urls tend to vanish.    You can find the article easily enough with the information I've given, I think.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

SANSAR is only a working copy name.  You will NEVER see a SANSAR in production.  So to answer your question, never. 

I heard that they've settled on the final production name.

... RASNAS ...

I heard it was going to be  EfilDnoces.

I was having a hard time pronouncing that ... until I realized ... the "K" is silent!

sarastip wrote:

Are there any good rumers, leaks, or educated guesses as to when Sansar will be realeased to the public or existing SL members? Or more information will become available?

Sara

I think this is the latest news at the moment:

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2015/08/06/ebbe-altberg-discussing-project-sansar/

Alpha testing for specially invited content creators starting in a few weeks - a little bit later than planned.

Public beta testing starting some time in 2016, no date given.

(Special thanks to Sensuous Maxiumus at Builder's Brewery for posting that link in the BB group :-)

AlecDeBoeuil wrote:

Alec - it when a project is running late within a few months of it starting; I know it'll never be finished

Oh, I really, really hope you're wrong. It would be very sad if Sansar never happened and the beginning of the end to Linden Lab.

Let's be a bit realistic here for a change. Second Life isn't going away very soon but it isn't going anywhere else either. It can survive for years as a relic of the past and a resort for the devoted fans but its vitality is vanishing fast and will probably be gone in a year or two.

As far as I know, nobody has ever come up with a credible plan how to revitalize SL from the state it is in now and I think it's too late really. Things might have been very different if LL five years ago had acted like LL today does but that's hindsight. They didn't and it may not have been enough anyway.

We will need a new virtual world soon if we want to keep the idea of a living, thriving, rich virtual reality alive. And right now LL seems to be one who can provide that. They certainly weren't in the shape to take on such a daunting task when the project started but LL as an organisation has improved a lot since then. The 2015 version of Linden Lab might even have been able to resurrect Second Life if it wasn't for that nightmarishly long backlog of urgent issues that were never dealt with.

Perhaps the most important improvement they've done is that they have started listening to their customers to a degree they've never done before. If you look at all the talk about Sansar here and elsewhere since LL first announced the project, you'll notice their plans have changed considerably, often apparently as a direct result of user feedback. There were a few discussions on this forum recently that brought up a couple of very important issues that LL seemed to have overlooked and I hope and believe that one of the reason for the delay is that they need a bit of time to sort those issues out.

ChinRey wrote:

AlecDeBoeuil wrote:

Alec - it when a project is running late within a few months of it starting; I know it'll never be finished

Oh, I really, really hope you're wrong. It would be very sad if Sansar never happened and the beginning of the end to Linden Lab.

Remember Vizact? That was Ebbe's crowning glory at Microsoft.

You don't?

"Development was ended due to unpopularity"

(He left at the end of March 2000, and Vizact was discontinued on 1 April, 2000)

Alec - that the only thing that you learn from history is that nobody learns from history

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3182 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.