Temporary Textures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know why exactly they removed the ability to upload temporary textures?   It was pretty handy for building really.  Mean sure you can use local textures,   but correct me if i'm wrong,  other players can't see them making them a bit less useful really.

You can still use local textures which is free and pretty much the same thing as temp textures.

The textures are loaded directly from your hard drive and will be visible only for you. Also works on clothing and sculpt maps. Nothing is lost other than that you cant show the textures to others like with temp.

A nice thing about local textures is that they upload automatically inworld when you save a new version overwriting the one you already used at local inworld.

It didn't really cost them any money,   you can upload for free on their beta server just the same really.   Less they closed that as well.   All its really done is well make it slightly more annoying for builders thats all really.    Or one could argue that sl is trying to profit off the mistakes of builders..   Either way seems a bit silly to have it removed in the end it wasnt doing much harm and sure local textures work well enough but as thought only you can see them,  so if your building for someone else there's no longer a good way without uploading textures to show them before making a final product less you build in beta..  And well beta's about a mess really.

I believe the temporary texture thing was a hack by TPV developers that used viewer and server parts of the avatar texture baking mechanism. Since that mechanism was changed so that the baking takes place on special servers and not in the viewer, the server parts of the mechanism are no longer available to the viewer. Thus the breakage was simply a side effect of improvements in the performance of the avatar appearance baking process. .

Also,  as a for record,  SL's Viewer Did have temporary texture upload abilities.   So it was eventually sanctioned by SL as well as the other viewers.   Thus a service they added then apparently removed.   No less would be nice to have it back is all i'm saying.

Nash Sauber wrote:

Also,  as a for record,  SL's Viewer Did have temporary texture upload abilities.   So it was eventually sanctioned by SL as well as the other viewers.   Thus a service they added then apparently removed.   No less would be nice to have it back is all i'm saying.

That's news to me, and probably to Linden Lab unless it was some sort of debug thing. Temporary textures were weird things that didn't behave the way the architecture was meant to - textures are supposed to be stored on asset servers and be called by the simulator but temporary textures were an almost parasitic thing that lived on the simulator server instead.

Have you used SL's viewer ?   I know at the least it was around through the last half of 2012,   don't recall before then really.   But i do know last year it functioned fine on Sl's Viewer.    Look it up there's posts out there about it.  Seems it popped up officially in Version 3.2.   Possibly sooner I didn't dig too far I admit.  

Nash Sauber wrote:

Have you used SL's viewer ?   I know at the least it was around through the last half of 2012,   don't recall before then really.   But i do know last year it functioned fine on Sl's Viewer.    Look it up there's posts out there about it.  Seems it popped up officially in Version 3.2.   Possibly sooner I didn't dig too far I admit.  

I use SL's viewer most of the time. Your time frame actually corresponds to the rollout of LOCAL textures, which still work.

Temporary textures don't work with the server side baking.

But why focus on that or money when you can still preview the textures inworld (on a prim or avatar) for free? Nobody is making anything more difficult or earning more money.

Local textures have been there for quite a while and right now it's getting very useful.

I am certain that LL's viewer has never had temporary textures and, as you suggest, people are confusing this with the roll-out of local textures.   As I understand it, in fact, local textures were introduced as an alternative to the TPV temp uploads, when it became clear that the hack that permitted them would be broken by SSA.

For what it's worth, I've always used the beta grid when I want to experiment with textures.   One big advantage to that is that I can take stuff back into my inventory and the textures are still there the next time I log in.

I like the local upload feature, as it "half saves" the temporary upload feature. However, this is still bad. Local textures only allow a texture to be visible to the user, which completely destroys the ability to work collaboratively. Can you use the beta grid? Sure, though good luck with any bugs you run into that disrupts your time there. And if you want to see it on a complicated build and then need to move it to live? Have fun with that, your time required to finish a project just went up.

Though I will note, this is much less of a problem for mesh designers. Generally speaking, they can see and test textures right in their modeling programs, among other things. Some of those programs have collaborative functions of their own.

It is in my opinion that a temporary upload system with a 5 minute auto-delete timer (and I mean completely deleted off the servers) would fair better in addition to the local texture system, if it is done properly. However, there may be and there probably are, better ideas for this out there.

Edit: Supported or created, by LL or not, changes have affected their users and they'd do well to, at the very least, listen. Even if they do not decide to aid in this situation.

Edit Edit: A potential way to 'fix' this for the users who have grown used to temporary uploads, may be to take advantage of PREMIUM sandboxes. Kill the upload costs in that area, and lock all free uploaded assets to that area. The benefit? You can still move your prim builds to other areas, but 'free uploads' wont cross. We get our ability to collaborate, LL gets their money if the build leaves the sandbox. Everyone wins, no?

Nilssen wrote:

So why we have to Pay money for Test* each time?

Hmm... did you read all the posts in this thread at all?

Temporary textures where never implemented by Linden Lab.  It was a hack some TPVs had using the old avatar textures baking system. In the new baking system (SSA) that hack does not work anymore.  Linden Lab was aware of this and thus they gave us the Local Texture feature.

Local textures do not cost anything. So you can test the textures to your hearts content. Cost = 0 L$

Nilssen wrote:

Thanks for Ignoratio elenchi. that's seems like red herring in this posted all answers. Yes i have read and till check out carefully... they are seems like making new problem for confuse peoples. So anyway we have to pay 10 Linden for just ”TEST ”local texture from computer in the future. and Local textures are NOT FREE when you will do upload it from inworld. but you can be see the Preview Only now... and also have you check out the Pop up window at Inworld ? Please try when you have time. IF you never had use the Temporary Textures tool before change system, you can not see what was changed and what is point. Build > Upload > Image > We were need the tools to TEST BEFORE Upload Image formally with 10 Linden from computer Ofcourse. and was good process way.but there is no have chose the way anymore... ( SL Viewer does not work for my computer,have been Using lasted Firestorm : select mode is Firestorm )

In America, we have a saying, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

When you use Temporary Textures they should act exactly as they will when you do finally upload them.

If they don't, them there is a problem that LL will need to fix.  If it happens to you, then file the necessary bug report.

I don't think any of us are saying we like losing Temporary uploads.  But we were getting away with doing something for free Linden Lab never intended.

It sounds like we are struggling with a language problem in this thread, as well as a handful of misconceptions.  Here are the facts that I can distill from what people have said so far, cleansed of rhetoric:

1. Temporary textures were a hack available in the Third Party Viewers, not approved by Linden Lab and not available in their viewers.  Local Textures are available in all viewers.

2.  Temporary textures depended on the old server code and are not compatible with Server Side Appearance (SSA).  They are now obsolete and could not be brought back without undoing SSA.  That is not going to happen.

3.  Temporary textures were free.  So are Local Textures.

4.  Temporary Textures were assigned UUIDs and could be manipulated on prim faces with tools in the Textures tab of your Build/Edit tool or with LSL scripts.  You can do the same with Local Textures.

5.  One difference between Temporary Textures and Local Textures: Temporary textures could be shared. Local Textures cannot. 

6.  The other difference: Local Textures are updated in world whenever you save an update on your own computer.  Temporary Textures were not -- you had to upload a new texture each time you saved a change on your computer. 

7. The Beta (Aditi) grid and the Texture Preview window offer creators other ways to examine textures, but those have nothing to do with either Temporary Textures or Local Textures.  Those options remain as they were before.

As far as I can tell, there is still no official information about Local Textures on Linden Lab web pages.  This contributes to misunderstandings about the feature and how to use it.  There is basic information on the Firestorm wiki, however >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/texture_picker

• Like 1

Just to add, if I may, that -- despite the rather strange oversight on LL's part in not providing information about Local Textures -- there are two very good pieces, with illustrations, by Inara Pey in her blog Living In The Modem World:

http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/local-textures-coming-to-a-viewer-near-you/

http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/local-textures-now-part-of-the-sl-viewer/

Readers will notice this feature has been around for over a year now.

Nillsen, to use the local texture option cost-free, you click the "add" button, not the "upload" button after choosing  the "Local" option. "Add" will put the link to the texture on your hard drive into the 'local' window - and not cost you anything. You can then use that local texture link in-world, test it to your hearts content, then if you decide it works like you intended, THEN you can use the "upload" button in the local window, or just upload it the old fashioned way and use it in yoir creations at the cost of 10L. The local texture feature does not cost you ANYTHING.

The upside to this new method is that when you make changes to the local texture on your hard drive, the texture automatically updates in-world, so it's really a time-saver.

Nilssen wrote:

Thanks for Ignoratio elenchi. that's seems like red herring in this posted all answers. Yes i have read and till check out carefully...

Well, I hope that, if you have read this far in the thread, you finally understand that local textures do not cost anything.

That's the whole purpose of local texture, we can test how the texture looks inworld - for free.

(By the way, I am well aware what temporary textures were. Yes, I have used them a lot - while they were available.

I always try my best to give the right explanation of things. If I don't know something for sure, why should I post wrong advice?

Thank you for your attention.)

:smileywink:  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Okay, Local textures work, it's very fine if you have to try changes on something that is "Modify".

But there is a lot of things like vehicles that, being No Modify, allows you to change some textures by menu, writing the UUID key of the texture you want to try.

In this case, you *must* load a texture into your inventory, and being no more free, each time you have to make one try, you will pay L$10 regardless of being useful or not.

I am trying to wonder what are thinking some bike painters now. 

Me I really feel deceived.

Sonia Yeu wrote:

Okay, Local textures work, it's very fine if you have to try changes on something that is "Modify".

But there is a lot of things like vehicles that, being No Modify, allows you to change some textures by menu, writing the UUID key of the texture you want to try.

In this case, you *must* load a texture into your inventory, and being no more free, each time you have to make one try, you will pay L$10 regardless of being useful or not.

That's not a worry.  Do this...

1. Create a plywood cube.

2. Apply your LOCAL texture to its TOP face.

3. Put this script in it:

default{    state_entry()    {        llSay(0,llGetTexture(0));    }}

4.  Copy the UUID from your chat and drop it into your texture-changing script.

• Like 1

Rolig Loon wrote:

Sonia Yeu wrote:

That's not a worry.  Do this...

1. Create a plywood cube.

2. Apply your LOCAL texture to its TOP face.

3. Put this script in it:
default{    state_entry()    {        llSay(0,llGetTexture(0));    }}

4.  Copy the UUID from your chat and drop it into your texture-changing script.

Great... thanks, it works.

But only once... how can I repeat the thing, after having changed the texture?

Sonia Yeu wrote:

Okay! I found.

Now it says texture's UUID each time I touch the cube.

Thank you again.

YW.  Actually, it should only say the UUID one time, when you drop the script into your cube (or when you reset the script).  If you want it to respond to a touch -- I should have thought of that -- try this very slightly different version:

default{    touch_start(integer num)    {        llSay(0,llGetTexture(0));    }}

Also, FWIW, I have placed a short tutorial on Local Textures at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.