Are you being robbed or not?

Josh Susanto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Different legal system, but that is pretty much what defines robbery and theft. Using the terms is much like talking of piracy in relation to copyright, emotive and misleading.

Ask if we're being defrauded, if we're victims of a con game, and the answer certainly isn't anything like as clear. Party A promises to do deliver a service to Party B, doesn't deliver, and still charges Party B for providing the service. Might not be fraud, because that depends on Party A knowing they can't deliver but it's in that class of crimes of deception.

I am going to leave the definition of what happened to me to the people interested in being lawyers, and just explain it. This happened to me the day before DD rolled out, the 20th March.

I got 3 notifications by email that my magic box had delivered items worth in total $4500L, but on my merchant's page, those items were marked as being "Delivery Failed".

I contacted the three buyers and confirmed that they had paid, and that they had recieved the item, so I sent a ticket about it to LL.

I was told that they could not credit me for those sales because the status was 'Failed' and that I should switch to Direct Delivery as soon as possible.

This may not be the kind of situation Josh means when he says robbed, but I am still sore because that money would have gone  along way towards tier this month.

Magnet Homewood wrote:

I am going to leave the definition of what happened to me to the people interested in being lawyers, and just explain it. This happened to me the day before DD rolled out, the 20th March.

I got 3 notifications by email that my magic box had delivered items worth in total $4500L, but on my merchant's page, those items were marked as being "Delivery Failed".

I contacted the three buyers and confirmed that they had paid, and that they had recieved the item, so I sent a ticket about it to LL.

I was told that they could not credit me for those sales because the status was 'Failed' and that I should switch to Direct Delivery as soon as possible.

This may not be the kind of situation Josh means when he says robbed, but I am still sore because that money would have gone  along way towards tier this month.

So, buyers received the item, LL got paid the money, but you didn't get any payment for the product you sold, and this is an official decision? Very, very wrong.   I hope you are still trying to get the money credited to you, because this is just plain bad customer service on top of bad functionality.  Not Good At All.

Magnet Homewood wrote:

hi Magnet.  haven't seen you in a long time.

Sorry, they are not going to credit you.  I was told more or less, that a month's worth of sales where the funds did not make it into my account would not be credited, because they had a glitch.

They have a glitch on their end, so they do not have to pay me.  Interesting.

They "implied" I would get paid if I went to a certain place and sat and waited.  I did.

Then they said again (more or less) that I would not get paid.  It was 10 freakin' bucks that first time.  10 freakin' bucks.

(there was more lost, that's for sure)

Then....right in front of me and others....they reimbursed people here in this forum that volunteer for them all day long.  Right in front of people who have been sitting, trying to collect payments.

They did not fund.  Then they implied they would.  So they kept the funds, then lied on top of it.

And I'm not talkin' about 10 freakin' bucks total.

I personally haven't had anything done to me in the way of the theft but having read this thread and see that fraud is happening with the taking of money from customers and not distributing to merchants...Glad it hasn't happened to me but ...just wow. I'm surprised they would be quite so open about it.

By the way...I'm not really sure I understand how they get away with saying that Linden isn't considered real money and aren't liable for mistakes like that...do they not accept Paypal as an option to pay with marketplace items? Paypal isn't play money as far as I know.

Magnet .. welcome back. As to what happened to you on those three sales? That's flat inexcusable. I'm not sure who you spoke with, but whomever it was should be called out on this "decision". To accept money as payment for a product and then refuse to accept responsibility to pay the merchant their share? That's just flat wrong.

Have you contacted Rodvik and explained this to him? I know it's just "play money" according to the rules, but there's nothing in the rules that says they can play unfair or cheat people out of their "play money". They accepted payment, they delivered your product ... they damn well are liable to pay you your share. End of story!

(edit)

> and this is an official decision?

That's why I consider it to be theft, rather than mere negligence.

According to Wikipedia, though, it's only not robbery because the threat is not to a physical person. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbery

Out of curiosity, though, are there any merchants whose second life business is part of the commercial activities of a Corporation? 

>They have a glitch on their end, so they do not have to pay me.  Interesting.

Right.

And compare the number of glitches that work to their advantage to the number of glitches that have worked out to the advantage of merchants or customers.

Any pattern?

What would any good statistician tell us to think about this?

> I'm surprised they would be quite so open about it.

I'm not.

They've subtly pared down their merchant base to 2 types of people: habitual critics and blind cult followers.

And the critics, so far, seem to be powerless.

That can't continue forever, but with an army of yes-men telling them that, somehow, everything will inevitably work out just fine, it's easy for them to keep their heads in the sand.

Josh Susanto wrote:

>
As to what happened to you on those three sales?

What are the chances that such reports are anything other than the tip of the iceberg?

Oh, it's no secret that what we see in here is a small sample of what happens without our hearing. I'd bet that what LL hears is also a small fraction of the real problems. People generally just forget about it and look for some other way to have fun or work around the problem. And very few of the active Residents even bother coming to the forums, so it's a lead pipe cinch that the posts here represent a very tiny portion of the real incident rate.

But what does that prove? It's not unique to LL or SL. It's just "the way it is". Why does that make you think LL is worse than any other company?

--||-

Josh,

I remember well the debacle that was Marketplace when it first rolled out. I remember well the SILENCE that followed, no matter what we said or begged, I remember how not a word escaped the lips (or fingers) of the Dev Team.

The number of posts from CTL on the DD issue I think far outpaces the total number of replies we got through the entire release process of Marketplace. And they've gone so far as to make posts on blogs, the merchant home page and many other places .. to own up to the problems and issues they and we are discovering.

I am not about to snub my nose at them and continue to carry a grudge when they've clearly made such positive changes in their habits. I have always sworn that if they changed their ways, engaged and admitted problems, I'd give them a fair shake and willingly team up with them. Well, they've done that. They've come out from under the rock of darkness and engaged, and owned up .. and worked hard to fix the problems that have come up. So am I going to be a hypocrite and continue whining about something when they've done as we asked? Hell no.

I'm rewarding good behavior by repaying with good behavior on my part too. If that's somehow enabling them, then so be it. But to my eyes, they've improved quite a bit, and I'm gonna point that out honestly whenever I can.

>I am not about to snub my nose at them and continue to carry a grudge when they've clearly made such positive changes in their habits. 

I might like to agree with you, but the rest of the pattern is that if we lighten up on them, they'll inevitably, eventually, ultimately, start trying to feed us sh## sandwiches again.

Moreover, they NEED the criticism from Merchants because, clearly, there's none being generated in-house.

Josh Susanto wrote:

I might like to agree with you, but the rest of the pattern is that if we lighten up on them, they'll inevitably, eventually, ultimately, start trying to feed us sh## sandwiches again.

That might indeed be true, but I'm the type of person that will wait until you actually hit me before I cry foul. Even though you've hit me 20 times before. I always *try* and believe that someone is going to break their habits and improve. While it's true that I do have a limit, I haven't hit it yet .. and I have seen promising signs from the Dev Team that they're actively trying to break the old habits.

However, as I said earlier, if time starts slipping past and they don't actually solve anything, or they go back to the "Deadly Silence" approach, yeah .. I'll light 'em up again with the rest of youse guys.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

However, as I said earlier, if time starts slipping past and they don't actually solve anything, or they go back to the "Deadly Silence" approach, yeah .. I'll light 'em up again with the rest of youse guys.

Those of us who endured the Deadly Silence era have a much more positive attitude towards this team.  It's all relative.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

So what's happened with the support tickets people have submitted about non-payments so far - have they been pushed through and paid or what?

Not a clue. I don't believe Super String has been paid yet, but I did see someone else mention they'd filed a support ticket complete with order numbers ... but I don' think it's been resolved yet either.

... and my patience meter IS ticking down ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.