Whats Best In fixing up your avatar?

moka Sapphire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just wanted to know the opinions of more long time players in SL. I'm still trying to get my general avatar look together.

So whats best in fixing up your avatar? (If you don't wanna create your own)

ls it best to get a shape u want then trying on a skins to get a good fit? Or the other way around? Or just go to one of these high quality shapes/skin stores and get a shape and/or skin (with styling card included)

I want my own personal look but be a Hottie a the same time. Its a pretty tedious task trying to get a look u really want. So What do you think?

~Please reply, Thank You.

I would recommend getting a shape first then shop for a skin you like with it.  Try a lot of demos before purchasing either of them.  Never buy them without trying them out first. While most merchants use pictures that haven't been enhanced in photoshop, the lighting  that was used to photograph it may make it look different than when you wear it.  You could also get demos of both and try them in various combinations to see what you like if you don't have a certain look in mind. 

I'd get a skin first whose feature I really liked because you can modify (if you buy a moddable shape) the shape later until you are happy with it but you can't modify the skin. If you really want to buy a shape first, try demo shapes with a solid color skin (no shading, no eyes, no lips and such) so that you can truly examine only its shape aspect. ;)

Personally, I noticed that while making avatar the pretty much basic thing that decides how avatar looks is skin. Shape is secondary. Of course, shape changes overall look as it's shape ofc, and can make you look creepy if You go too fancy with it, but personally I'm recommending experimenting with shape on your own so you can save few lindens for skin you like. 

That's my conclusion. 

I'm relatively new, so I am experimenting with my own shape and skin.  So far I have been mixing and matching whatever I can find from the basic avatars, in the freebie stores, or for pretty cheap. 

In large part this is because I'm not really sure what sort of look I want.  I started with the male goth shape and was pretty happy for a while, but then decided I wanted a bit more muscle.  My current shape looked really good when I first tried it, but has started to strike me as being too bulky. 

I'll try working the sliders with my current shape, but I find that I have a poor "eye" for fine tuning.  Maybe I'll get lucky and get it right.  If not, I'll continue expeimenting with free/cheap stuff and looking at different stores for the right shape. 

I am happier with my current skin, but once my shape has stablized I will go skin shopping again.   

To those with more experience: I notice a lot of skins with labels "for XXX shape" or "for YYY" shape.   How flexible are skins for different shapes?  So far I've only had one or two cases where my mixing/matching seemsed to create a problem.  Have I been getting lucky or will a skin look good on a range of shapes as long as they are similar?

Well most people arn't good with making there own anything haha and some don't wanna go through the time and effert into trying to create something to look exactly how they want It, especaily for beginners, Plus.. I tryed making my own shape In the image I want.. didn't work lol. So my suggestion would be is search search search and try to find something close to what you want. If something is slightly off then yeah, once you buy it you can most likely modify the features later.

Yes I agree with that but I think u can start with skins then shape too. I'v tryed demos and tryed the info on styling cards to see If thats what I wanted. (from LAQ) Then once I picked my skin, I tryed on different shapes, mixmatch and see what looked good. I also asked some people Inworld who said In simular response to your's. Its all in a matter of opinion..which I apperciate, Thank you. :)

VRprofessor wrote:

To those with more experience: I notice a lot of skins with labels "for XXX shape" or "for YYY" shape.   How flexible are skins for different shapes?  So far I've only had one or two cases where my mixing/matching seemsed to create a problem.  Have I been getting lucky or will a skin look good on a range of shapes as long as they are similar?

Hmm, I've never seen such skins labeled with "for XXX shape". If you mean the skins in library clothing, for example "party male skin", that's just for sorting purposes, so that new people can quickly and easily try different looks. You can try any skin on any shape and it's very subjective whether you think a certain look is good or not. Personally I think muscular skins or macho skins look weird on skinny shapes and vice versa, or mature skins on teenie shapes and such.

ETA : I make shapes for some particular skin, but don't make skins for some particular shape.

Ry0ta Exonar wrote:

VRprofessor wrote:

Hmm, I've never seen such skins labeled with "for XXX shape". If you mean the skins in library clothing, for example "party male skin", that's just for sorting purposes, so that new people can quickly and easily try different looks. You can try any skin on any shape and it's very subjective whether you think a certain look is good or not. Personally I think muscular skins or macho skins look weird on skinny shapes and vice versa, or mature skins on teenie shapes and such.

There are stores, such as LAQ for example, that sell shapes to go with certain skins to achieve the look in their pictures. 

i haven't read the thread..just the OP so i don't know if i am repeating anyone or not..

myself i would get the skin first then work with the shape..it's much easier to work with a painted surface..

you may find certain things you like in that shape and skin and decide to keep them..

working with a blank slate and then putting a skin on it will probably take longer..where having the skin there you can see results right away..

just think about the look you want to create and get all the main things you can for it..

then create your look..

your avatar should take time to create..it's a big part of your sl and you..=)

I'd begin with an idea in mind of what you want to look like. You will probably adapt it along the way. Most people's avatars don't seem to change in huge ways though, even over some years. I can't think of one who's gone from one type to a totally different one. Isn't that funny? It's an avatar, we can look like anything, but we usually look pretty much the same as before.

Although I'm currently a chihuahua. (Sorry about the mess on the patio, cartel hangout! I'm still working on house training.)

So just look around until you see something that you like. I would begin with a shape since it will give you a basic type to work from or towards. Then try on skins and tweak until you like the end result. 

Make sure any shape you get is modifyable. Then you can change it in small ways if the face on the skin you like doesn't quite fit it. For skins I go with what is on sale usually. Or free. Al Vulo has a free skin each month and those are always nice. But some skins will dictate what type of face you can have. They just won't look good on other kinds. Try on a demo if you are buying a skin.

The hair and clothes just round out the image.

Ry0ta Exonar wrote:

If you really want to buy a shape first, try demo shapes with a solid color skin (no shading, no eyes, no lips and such) so that you can truly examine only its shape aspect.
;)

I would not recommend that - first, it isn't necessary since the mesh will always have certain issues, and a good skin will always mitigate those. Second, it will look horrible on 99 percent of the shapes, which won't be the case when the skin is on. I guess I said the same thing twice. Lol

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.