How was it for you Darling? - The best Valentines ever?

Ziggy21 Slade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This thread ISNT about delivery issues, there are several threads for that already, many people, including myself have moaned and groaned about that (quite rightly), here I wanted to tackle something different.

This was my 4th Valentines Day in SL, because I have been working on big projects I havent added any new items to my range for a couple of years, and yet this was by far the best Valentines Day for sales I have had, I am a good 30% up on last year.

The economic statistics from Q3 (not that any of you guys believe them - right) show the same very slow decline in concurrency and deployed regions as we have had for the last 3 years, so what is going on? is it just me that did well because the world has finally realised how cool me and my stuff are or were any of you guys notably 'up' too?

Good for you Ziggy!

Fiscally, I had a much better Valentine's Day in 2011, but if the Marketplace had been working properly this year, I think things would have been more along the lines of last year for me, since that is where the bulk of my V-day sales happened this year and last year.  I still had a pretty good day saleswise.  I'm predicting next year will be my best year ever. :D 

Lol i had the same experience from my shop inworld, having about double the sales, WOW.

What i think what's going on is that (although less concurrent users) is that they buy less typical Valentine gifts, but the more valuable items for their friends and partners in SL for them to play with. In terms of US$ such a present in SL can be from a few pennies to just a few dollars and it is a way to show real appreciation. It is what i have heared a few times from my own friends. More ppl tend to buy something more nicely in SL than they used to. Like real like Xmas... more and better presents every year... lol.

Besides a line or 2 of products for couples, Valentine's day was generally just a normal day for me in past years. This year is a bit different too tho, because this is really the first year where half my sales comes from the MP. For the first 4 years of sales in SL, my inworld sales made up around 70-75% of my sales.

So, my end result for this V day. Oh, about 20% of what I usually make on an average day. The day before, was only 40% of what I usually make on an average day.

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

I did not even make 10% from what I make on a normal everage day.

80-85% of my customer buy at marketplace. They are merchants themselves, so they are the first ones to discover when marketplace is broken or acting different then normal. It influences my sales immediately.

I only had a couple of sales in the category of delivered but I was not paid --  I just got a small percentage of what I usually get on MP, which leads me to believe that for some of us, either our stores were down totally, or there was no record of some orders at all. Not much to do about that.

Fabulous! Thanks for asking :)

First year I've done Valentine's products but I created some innovative, fun things that people liked and it went well. Don't have a previous year to compare to but I'm happy, esp since it was all quite last minute and I didn't do anywhere near the marketing and placement I could have.

Mostly ppl from search, had some affiliates out and a few good locations - did some on MP but mostly in world. Inworld sales were steady - can't really say they increased while the MP was down or not. MP was really starting to ramp up nicely (presumably the previous week's sales from features finally pushing me up in MP search a bit) until the troubles then Boom! and it never quite recovered.

Good to hear some others went well too :)

It was similar for me. Generally, holidays don't affect my sales, and I rarely do anything special for them. On the marketplace, I only had a few sales, and only 1 during the whole affected time. Lately, I've had much more inworld sales because of some changes that are finally kicking in for me, but the store was empty for most of that day. Was just a weird overall day all together.

Now, when I compare things to last years MP stats, I was down 70% from last year, just on the MP. Last year was a pretty normal day in sales, but maybe 1 or 2 more couples walks sold and Multi-couples walks HUDs, which is exactly what you would expect.

I don't know about every1 else, but none of my transactions are matching right now. It is all messed up. I'm getting payments from Commerce Linden that don't have any transaction on the MP. And.... I have orders on the MP that are hours old and are not on my SL transaction page.

Alert!!! Alert!!! Alert!!! Check yours!

Look at this order number #6439781

>Lol i had the same experience from my shop inworld, having about double the sales, WOW.

Doube sales at some stores wouldn't necessarily compensate for the total sales loss on SLM.

Of course, Malefactor LInden probably cares more about getting people to his store than about his own lost sales on the SLM, since the borking also probably directs lost SLM revenue to him one way or another.

A lot of people will file tickets over this incident, but a lot also won't.

The unticketed revenue losses are going somewhere, though, aren't they?

Josh Susanto wrote:

A lot of people will file tickets over this incident, but a lot also won't.

The unticketed revenue losses are going somewhere, though, aren't they?

There has been an automated process in place to get all the orders that did go through, paid to merchants, even those that didn't file tickets. LL says it will complete by end of tonight.

What can't be recovered is all the sales that could have happened had the marketplace not gone down for a significant portion of the day :(

LOL, haha, no idea.

The only thing i heard inworld most of the time from my friends and ppl i had addressed was that they had different motivations for V-day compared to last year. Many wanted to go shopping inworld and buy something of more applicable value/fun than last year spending more US$ on it. In terms of US$ a few bucks to show more appreciation, Instead of the typical V rubbish.

Interesting, since i too had that motivation in both RL and SL.

Strange thing, a friend of mine has a RL shop... she confirmed the same for even RL. There seems to be a trend to buy more valuable thingies. MIndset RL = mindset SL as they are the same (well usually LOL).

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Besides a line or 2 of products for couples, Valentine's day was generally just a normal day for me in past years. This year is a bit different too tho, because this is really the first year where half my sales comes from the MP. For the first 4 years of sales in SL, my inworld sales made up around 70-75% of my sales.

So, my end result for this V day. Oh, about 20% of what I usually make on an average day. The day before, was only 40% of what I usually make on an average day.

Your results are very comparable with mine, Medhue. My day before was about 50% of what I ususally make on an average day.

How about 15 feb for you? I'm back to normal average since then. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

I only had a couple of sales in the category of delivered but I was not paid --  I just got a small percentage of what I usually get on MP, which leads me to believe that for some of us, either our stores were down totally, or there was no record of some orders at all. Not much to do about that.

It is possible, Pamela, but we can never be sure.

It might also be the downtime of the marketplace for a big part of the day combined with a different buying pattern of customers this year.  Like Medhue I saw a large decrease in the reduction of my products the day before V day. How was that for you? Do you also fit into his pattern, or was 13 feb a normal sales day for you?

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Your results are very comparable with mine, Medhue. My day before was about 50% of what I ususally make on an average day.

How about 15 feb for you? I'm back to normal average since then. 

The 15th was, similarly, somewhat back to normal, but since the Vday thing, I think many are weiry of using the MP. So, I basically see sales struggling ever since. Before Vday, my sales were kind of climbing and climbing. I also found out yesterday that my inworld Classified Ad was somehow cancelled. I don't remember cancelling it. Maybe I didn't check renew the last time I changed it tho.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.