Looking for complete female avatar - not so girly

Desertway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm very new to SL and I would like to use an avatar that is not so girly, a little more rock and roll and a little less revealing. The only alternative I'm finding are very formal, Victorian style avatars. Can someone make a recommendation for a shop? Thanks.

I never buy complete avatars, so I have no recommendations for you .  However you should think about it carefully before investing in one.  While complete avatars are convenient, do you really want to look like a lot of other people?  Unless you see an avatar that you really fall in love with, I'd suggest putting your own together by buying the skin, hair, eyes, clothing etc. separately.  You'll be much happier with it in the long run. 

You can make your own shape if you want a truly unique look but they are available for sale too if your not comfortable doing that. Keep in mind that shape and skin together make people look the way they do.  So buy the skin first and then make a shape or make/buy a shape first then shop for a skin that looks good with it.   Most skin makers also offer shapes that go with the skin, or shape maker include 'style' cards to tell you what skin was used in the picture.  But if you buy them this way, again you'll look like a lot of other people.  

NEVER BUY a skin or shape unless you can try it on first as a demo.  The pictures you see of them will sometimes look different than it will in person.  You may like the picture, but not like it once you see it on yourself.

Just be sure that whatever you get that it is a modifiable. The longer your here the more your going to want to change little things about your avatar until your completely satisfied with it.  You'll be able to pick up the skills to do that along the way, even if you don't have them now.

The question is also what it is you define as 'not so girly', but you can also customize yourself to get what you want in the long run. I wanted an avatar that was curvy in shape but tall, but it took some looking and asking around before I found a shape builder who didn't automatically think of tall females as broomsticks (as if they'd never heard of the likes of Cindy Crawford, for instance). Once I got the demo and realized I could work with it, I bought it and customized the proportions I wanted by using the sliders (menu-appearance).

My advice to you is to ask around before you buy things. Like others have said, insist on demos first, to see if you like it. Keep in mind that some shapes won't work well with some skins, and some skins and shapes are better at certain heights. But lots of the control for your actual look belongs to you. Don't be afraid, take your time, and get what you want.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have only been on SL for a few days, and maybe an hour or two total. I'm not at all ready to build my own avatar, though I would love to do so in the future.

I have browsed the marketplace, and nearly every complete female I see is super-curvaceous, and the clothes that come with are mini dresses, lots of cleavage, or skirts and halters, etc. The alternative seems to be goth or formal Victorian. The sort of thing I would like is rocker chick - jeans, boots, vest or jacket, shaggy hair. I will keep looking. Thanks again.

Hello desertway. The first you have to find and decide about, is your shape, this is your base. I don't think that is a good idea to buy clothes at first because after you would have to change again all the prim parts (vest / jacket) fitting them with your new shape. Build your avatar slowly and don't rush. Maybe you will spend long time (maybe months) till to see your avatar and completely enjoy it. I agree with others. Don't purchase shape and skins without trying demos. Don't get carried away also by the pictures at Marketplace, they are a compination of a specific skin, specific shape, hair, prim attachments (like eyelashes), make-ups, taken under specific windlight settings and often edited with photoshop or other programs. So first of all find a shape, after a skin (from the same creator is preferable if it is possible) and after look for clothes, why not for complete outfits.

Although it may be temtping to buy a complete avatar, it is much more fun to put it piece by piece together.

That way you will not only have your own, individual look after a while, you also learn a lot about SL in General and Avatar design in special.

You still can buy a complete avatar after a while, but after screwing around with the settings your eye will see things they don't see yet and influence your decision.

Start with the shape as other's pointed out (unless you still have the starter skin with forced underwear, get rid of it before changing the shape).

Oh, and ...  have fun :)

Experiment with Freebies!

You can change outfits among the starter avatars. 

From the starter guys I picked the one who's shape I liked the best.  Then I got some freebie clothes and put together an acceptable outfit. 

The freebies vary a lot in quality, but trying on a few things gave me a solid idea of what I was looking for when I actually went shopping.  

Welcome to SL and the forum!

You have received some excellent advice here.  As you know what kind of shape you desire, you can start to sort it out by clicking on your avatar and selecting Edit Appearance > Shape.  There are dozens of sliders in the panel that opens and you can play for literally hours crafting a face and shape.  You can save as many versions as you like and it is helpful to name them in a way you will remember one from another.

The attire part is easy.  You know what you want your rocker to wear and, I assure you, there is plenty of variety that will suit your needs.

As you are new to SL, spend some time looking about and getting familiar with things.  You can use the Answers forum to post specific questions.  Other residents will provide answers.  Above all, enjoy your SL!

Oh man, you can do so much better on  your own.

Curves -- eh, learn to tweak your avatar's shape, there's no point in buying a premade shape at this stage. You'll get sick of it when you see what all is out there.

Clothes: get on the marketplace and search for terms like you just mentioned (e.g. rocker chick) and set the price range to 0. You'll find awesome freebies.

Here are a couple of my favourite not-too-girly girl things to start you off.

Makeupless skins in realistic and fantasy shades

Subtle makeup with lip gloss

Stompy buckle boots

Good luck! :)

Did you know you can wear most of the clothes for men in SL? You just need to resize the prim pieces like the leg bottoms and the shirt collars. You can actually get a buttoned shirt that doesn't expose your cleavage! Most men's clothing is not girly although you can find those too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ducknipple has full rocker chick avis if I am not mistaken. Believe they are whole package including skin and shape. I know I bought a nice complete outfit or two from them in that style, I am not big on the revealing stuff either. Fri.day also has clothes that kinda fit that, love their sweater hoodies. Not sure they have full avi though. Riddle has nice rocker stuff, and I know I got my initial not so busty shape from Rockberry, it's been modded a bunch since but that's what I built off of. Love {Rue} stuff, her eyes especially, Kinda goth in some aspects though, that's what I ended up settling on when first rezzed because the only skin I found for free without nasty over highlighted tan was gothic lolita. Hope this helps. You are welcome to IM me in world for landmarks or to see if I have thought of anything else.

Side note: Best and least expensive chucks I have found are from Kick the Can. Kid's store, but resize script is easy to use and deletes completely.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.