Linden Realms game and AO's

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Word of caution for all you Linden Realms game.  Seems like Linden Labs has done it again.  There is a part of the game that can break your AO's or your avatar permanently from running certain AO's.  Friend and I were playing it and we both got crushed in the cave several times.  Last time both of our AO's got broke.  Hers permanently including her copies would not work anymore.  She uses Semotions AO.  Mine was broken as well.  Only difference I use Vista.  My copies worked.  We did all the usual.  Took it off.  Reset them.  Nothing would work for her.  Thank goodness my copies did work on my avi.  So be careful.  Avoid the cave all together or risk having your AO totally borked.  Way to go Linden Labs.

Can you be a little more specific about what seems to be broken?  Do the scripts not do anything now?  Or give error messages?  Or certain animations aren't playing even though the scripts load them?

I mean, an AO is pretty much just a disposable script, some nondescript HUD prims, and a ton of expensive animations.  If the animation assets are still intact (and they almost have to be, or something way more serious than Linden Realms is afoot), anything else you'd lose could be readily replaced -- and probably improved, by migrating the anims and settings out of the old AO and into a fresh copy of one of the nice, free, open-source ZHAO II variants.

Depending how clunky the old AO scripting was, the settings notecards may even be compatible with ZHAO.

Not real sure what you're talking about. The realms haven't broken my AO, or for that matter, any of the people I've met there, seen there or brought there. It's quite likely something else has gone wrong, as someone else pointed out.

The first time I did the cave I got squished tons of times(ok, some of those were on purpose because I thought it was funny, lol), not once has my AO "broken". I go there everyday too. Not a single issue, other than the usual client side lag of course.

I've had AOs "break" before with the added help of me doing something to it(like removing something I shouldn't, changing something I shouldn't, etc..). I've had AOs go all weird on me before without my help too, but it's always been fixable.

If you explain exactly what happened, someone here can probably help you fix it, or figure it out anyway. I doubt it has anything at all to do with the realms, or we'd have a lot more folks with the same problem.

namssab1nad Piers wrote:

Word of caution for all you Linden Realms game.  Seems like Linden Labs has done it again.  There is a part of the game that can break your AO's or your avatar permanently from running certain AO's.  Friend and I were playing it and we both got crushed in the cave several times.  Last time both of our AO's got broke.  Hers permanently including her copies would not work anymore.  She uses Semotions AO.  Mine was broken as well.  Only difference I use Vista.  My copies worked.  We did all the usual.  Took it off.  Reset them.  Nothing would work for her.  Thank goodness my copies did work on my avi.  So be careful. 
Avoid the cave all together or risk having your AO totally borked.
  Way to go Linden Labs.

As others already said, same for me. I have done the cave a gazzilion times and nothing happened with my AO and/or other huds - for as far as I wear them when in the Realms.  I always disable my AO (but usually detach the whole thing) before entering the LR games, as I find the noob-run better to do when avoiding the rocks. Then again, that may be just me..I am used to running around like a noob, when fighting.

The rocks in the cave knock you down, and then you get sent to one of the little tp pad thingies(what the heck do they call those things anyway?)

It's great fun, ok, a little fun

Just don't go there if you don't have a mesh viewer. It'll look like a bad rendition of some directly-from-the-package-and-not-even-played-with-claymation cartoon. That, and nothing actually works, lol.

that is a problem for some AOs yes. it seems to affect oracul AOs the most. in realms beta mine got broken just about everytime. linden seemed to have fixed it back then bc i not had any problems since. seems tho there may still be another confict somewheres somehow sounds like for u. maybe u have another kind??

what i had to do to fix my oracul was leave the realms sim. go to a sandbox (rez and script enabled). rez the AO, edit and reset the scripts. which was a pain to have to keep doing. the oracul AO is copy / no trans so i end up making extra copies so that if it broke then detach and wear the copy which worked for me while still on the realms

cant do that tho if u got anims in ur AO that no-copy, like make copies, so just have to do the sandbox way. hope u can fix that way tho

i got a hud that has no-copy dance anims in it. i used to wear and not worry when i went to the realms bc it not seem to have any problems. after my oracul started to get broken tho,  i always take off that hud before i go to the realms, just in case really 

the AO goes into a state from which it cant recover. like it freezes up. the anims not play and the hud not respond to any touch. have to go a sandbox, rez and reset scripts to fix

seems it only affect certain kinds of AOs, not all of them. is intemittent as well seems like, so even harder to work out what is the cause

Take out no copy animations, copy what's left, move no-copy animations into the new copy. Do that to make a backup.

And ponder what's up with the way that AO was designed that it can break where every other AO on he market doesn't. Get a free ZHAO AO, and stuff the animations into it. The value in an AO is the animations - that's what people are or should be buying. The HUD is interchangeable.

namssab1nad Piers wrote:

Word of caution for all you Linden Realms game.  Seems like Linden Labs has done it again.  There is a part of the game that can break your AO's or your avatar permanently from running certain AO's.  Friend and I were playing it and we both got crushed in the cave several times.  Last time both of our AO's got broke.  Hers permanently including her copies would not work anymore.  She uses Semotions AO.  Mine was broken as well.  Only difference I use Vista.  My copies worked.  We did all the usual.  Took it off.  Reset them.  Nothing would work for her.  Thank goodness my copies did work on my avi.  So be careful.  Avoid the cave all together or risk having your AO totally borked.  Way to go Linden Labs.

I noticed that the maker of Semotions AO's strongly urges that AO's earlier than Version 3.8 be updated. Was your friend using an updated AO?

yes that way to fix will work as well

the oracul AO have other stuff and features in it that the basic zhao not have. like tap tap super jump in any direction, not just forwards. is quite a easy way to switch anim sets without having to reload as well. on mine i can have 3 dif sets loaded at same time and simple touch button to make instant switch between them. so can have a normal set and a roleplay set and a dance set all at same time if i want. it not actual designed to that originally but can use the size set options in it to make up to 3 diff sets quite easy that way

lots of ppl very happy with zhao and not need or want all this other stuff and that ok. i just like to have this extra stuff for myself. sometimes if it breaks then am not worried to much if i can fix myself, apart from the inconvenience sometimes

I have an oracul on my alt, it doesn't break in the realms, and never has. It must just be whatever version you have.

The fact that it doesn't happen to them all, or even more of them, tells me it's not the realms, but the actual AO and the way it's set up/created. There's something more than just a bit odd about that, if you ask me. I'd be going to the creator of the AO with those issues.

16 wrote:

the oracul AO have other stuff and features in it that the basic zhao not have. like tap tap super jump in any direction, not just forwards. is quite a easy way to switch anim sets without having to reload as well. on mine i can have 3 dif sets loaded at same time and simple touch button to make instant switch between them. so can have a normal set and a roleplay set and a dance set all at same time if i want. it not actual designed to that originally but can use the size set options in it to make up to 3 diff sets quite easy that way

Hmmm...

What's the script memory on that?

I think I may have an idea why its breaking for some people.

That sounds like a -LOT- of script time and script memory being used. If you're entering those linden realms with that going, -AND- some other things like resizers in your hair or clothing, or prim-feet... then you may be seeing the results of an excessive memory usage crash.

People getting by just fine are either on AOs not as memory intensive, or lacking the other memory 'hog' items.

BUT, that's just assuming this thing is a memory hog. So I'm curious what its script memory is?

i should put onmy SEmotions and go get squooshed hehehe..

i've had it since 2006 if i remember right and it's never glitched out like that..

like someone said..it may just need updated...

that or if you can find the original box..see if you can get another out..

i can't see how getting sqooshed would wreck any of the backups since your inventory is on the asset server and not really in a place where anyone else could squoosh it..

oracul has 2 mono compiled scripts in it. when i go on the realms i only wear 1 other lsl compiled script

should reiterate that the problems only ocurred for me in realms beta. since the realms open to the public i not had any problems with it

it may be like u thinking. as when i went to realms in the beta i had quite a few scripts running, but progressively removed them. i also added a whole heap more at dif times just to see what would happen. was only ever the oracul that froze up when i loaded up like that and when i only wore the oracul and nothing else

was mainly that the OP was saying that their AO is freezing up now in the same way that mine did, while other ppl not having probs at all. probs im not having anymore either. and just to say how i fixed it when it did happen

ps i <3 my oracul (:

The trouble that can occasionally break attachments in Linden Realms regions comes with an error message:

Object-name
:  [script:
script-name
] Script run-time error

Object-name
: Unable to load script state.

It can take a recompile to recover once this happens, or a fresh copy of the object.

I last saw this happen in early December. It was not tied to being around the cavern, but tended to closely follow region crossings and teleports.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.