How much space do I have in my inventory???:-/

Sonja Smedley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As far as I know there is no limit for inventories.  At one time I had over 20,000 items but, since I found that it took forever to find anything, I did a major inventory clean up a few years ago (surprising the number of duplicate clothing items you get when I don't know what you have and all those silly things you picked up on a whelm or just because).  I keep it down to a more managable number now.....mostly less than 8 to 10 k.  One "problem" I've experienced (and read of similar problems here on the forums often) is that with extremely large inventories and it becomes necessary to clear your cache it can a very long time to repopulate the inventory which means until everything is loaded back into your viewer it is not accessible....a major complaint by many.

I wonder how long it would take to reload if you have a million items or more in your inventory?  It used to take my inventory about 5 minutes to reload after a cache clearing...........would that mean 2,000 minutes (33 hours)?

I have 30,325 items in my inventory, and have no problems. Used to be over 40K, but I did some "Spring Cleaning" and tossed some older stuff I'll never use again.

There is no set limit, no. But the larger your inventory is, the more lag you'll have when you first log in, as the asset server catches up your viewer with the list of what you should have. I have some alts with very low inventories, and they have better frame rates in general than my main account, no matter how long either is logged in. So big inventories do seem to cause some client-side lag.

I can neither confirm nor deny that 60k plus is about average for persons who tend to acquire stuff. I know persons that claim to have twice as much. Clearing cache and waiting for repopulation does take more time and Peggy is right, if I were to go through my inventory, many of them would be duplicates. Usually when I see something I really like, I type in the first few letters of its name in my inventory to see if I have it already. Sometimes I do :/

I found this in the wiki:

There is no fixed limit to inventory size, and no charge to hold an inventory, although extremely large inventory size (over 10,000 items) may slow performance due to size of the inventory list to download and use. Items may have identical names. They are distinguished by a 32 hex character (128 bit) UUID number. The inventory list will last as long as your account is in good standing. - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory

It looks rather dated, but it reads well.

Then there is this:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/GUIDE-Spring-Clean-Your-Inventory-for-a-Happier-Second-Life/ba-p/784123 :D

at the moment i am at 51,133

i keep saying i am going to clean it and i do clean it..but it is never cleaned enough..

at 30k i was like omg i need to clean it..then before i knew it after cleaning..it went up to 40 k the next time i paid attention..

but i am really gonna clean it this time..

it's time to let go of all my old old clothes i think..that should do some damage..

so at 19k..you have a ways to go for sure hehehehe

i don't use anywhere near what is in mine..it's just hard to let go of past things  i think..

just be very organized and you will be able to find everything *winks* =)

If you were to go through your Objects folder and delete all those "objects" and empty boxes from clothing and items you've bought over the years and "took" instead of "delete", how much would your inventory have then?  How about all those demos you bought over the years that you either bought the item after seeing the demo or didn't buy the item?  When I cleaned my inventory I had so many textures that I made that were not quite right or I didn't like after uploading.........after going through the Objects folder and the unnecessary demos and those textures I really didn't have that much to fuss about "should I or should I not..........I might want it someday".

But, 51 k plus?  Someone ought to shoot you to put you out of your misery.   LOL  Don't forget to look in the lost and found.......I found things in there that I forgot all about (and never missed them either :) .  BTW, they are not gone until you purge your trash.:smileysurprised:

:D

I have a folder just for opened boxes and also a folder for demos.

Sub folders too, demo hair, demo skin etc

opened boxes, decorative boxes, boxes missing items boxes with backup copies of originals, eh, you never know o.O

When I had my first ever linden home, all my decorations were just boxes I had opened but I thought were pretty that I didn't take back to inventory or delete :)

Surprisingly, it wasn't as cluttered as one might think, really pretty boxes are usually made of several prims. That's actually how I learned about prims, one day I couldn't rez a box and I was like, hm?

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

If you were to go through your Objects folder and delete all those "objects" and empty boxes from clothing and items you've bought over the years and "took" instead of "delete", how much would your inventory have then?  How about all those demos you bought over the years that you either bought the item after seeing the demo or didn't buy the item?  When I cleaned my inventory I had so many textures that I made that were not quite right or I didn't like after uploading.........after going through the Objects folder and the unnecessary demos and those textures I really didn't have that much to fuss about "should I or should I not..........I might want it someday".

But, 51 k plus?  Someone ought to shoot you to put you out of your misery.   LOL  Don't forget to look in the lost and found.......I found things in there that I forgot all about (and never missed them either
:)
.  BTW, they are not gone until you purge your trash.:smileysurprised:

oh i went through my objects folder and lost and found a couple of years ago hehehehei learned that lesson the hard way LOL

it took forever and a day  to clean that out..it was worse than the freeby clean out that everyone usually goes through hehehehe

what i do is i have a sort folder that i put everything in when i go shopping..in that folder i have a sort later folder for things i may not have a chance to sort through at the time..any boxes and demos or anything new goes in those two folders right away..then i just empty them out as i unpack them..i empty my trash a few times with each sorting

god if i kept all those ..who knows what the count would be..

another folder that did make a dent was my notecards folder..that and also landmarks..omg all the doubles in there lol

my problem is just holding on to old memories..all those things have really added up..

it's just time to sort through memories i want to keep and get rid of i guess lol

Hey everyone! In a totally unrelated article, I came across something that kinda has relevance to this thread, especially for me because I have been having issues lately.

First, my issue: Lately, when I take photos at high resolution with extreme windlight settings, or even just regular settings, cause I always use high res, my computer either refuses to save the photo, or I crash or freeze up and have to force a crash (end task)

Now, what I just read:

"It seems to work the best for me, but only if I use my alt which has a very low inventory count. My inventory on my main account prevents me from taking any decent high-res snapshots inworld in any viewer. So for those of you that are struggling with shadows and such, this might be something more to look into."

This is from a very highly respected photographer, you probably all know her name, she is awesome:

http://strawberrysingh.com/2011/02/24/video-tutorial-with-manberry/

That sounds like Voodoo, Charolotte.  Your inventory is just a collection of pointers that tell the asset servers where to find things that you have saved.  One item is like another, as far as size is concerned.  It's like the names in a telephone book.  Your name takes up the same amount of space on the page as the name of somebody who has a family of 12 people, plus 3 dogs and a goldfish.  It's just an entry in a list.  As others have pointed out, your space on LL's servers is essentially unlimited, too, so the size of your image file on the servers shouldn't make a difference either.

Saving a monster file to your own computer, though, could be a problem. Transmitting a file takes a chunk of your bandwidth.  You have probably noticed that SL always stalls a little bit when you upload a texture or when you send a photo to your Marketplace listing.  Those images are pretty small, so they only stall SL for a tiny bit.  If you transmit a huge file, though, you can chew up enough bandwidth for long enough to stall SL into a crash.   

That's good to know, Rolig. I would hate to have to log into a different account everytime I want to take photos, which is like always. Do you know why lately my SL viewer freezes and finally crashes when I try to take photos? Usually, it is after I have been logged in for awhile. If I log in, and take a photo, I usually don't have any issues, but if I have been in a while, and then try to take a photo, that is when I have issues. It happens more and more as of late. 

Ok, I just reread your answer. Bandwidth. That sounds right, and relates to what is going on with my system. Thanks!

Rather than using the snapshot (if that causes you to crash), you can always Alt-Printscreen and paste the image from your clipboard into Photoshop... you'll have to clip out the UI elements like your HUDs and menus, but it doesn't download the image.  It takes it from your PC's internal memory...

Strawberry has a much better computer than I do, and I'm totally jealous, and she's awesome with windlight and shadows.  I completely respect her, and we're SL friends; but I'm not sure what the connection is between image resolution and inventory size.  I'll have to check out that link.

You start getting lag after passing around 10k. It's not really noticeable on high-end machines and connections. I have 74k+ and I do have some lag and takes longer to log in, but I think most of the lag still comes from high-prim attachments and scripts. There is no limit to your inventory. Creators often have over 100k.

asset server where our inventories are will only lag you out when it's being used or looked at..

thats  on tp's and logging in and rezzing items changing clothes..things like that..things we are getting from it..once they are in world that ends that connection and the sim takes over..

it won't lag you out when you are just walking around a sim..not unless you have  your inventory open the whole time..

sim lag is mostly frames from trying to rez to much and also scripts active..

what we wear has a big impact on how well we can move around..it also depends on what others are wearing as well that can cause lag on us..

with our inventory closed and not doing anything with the asset server..it's not causing any more lag than someone with 5 items in their inventory..because we are not connected to it or using that server at the time..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.