Marketplace takes my money and doesnt deliver but maybe 10% of what I buy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simerion wrote:

Oh Dres....thank you. I am an idiot. I fell for a troll. I will shut up now.

At least I hope so. Because if that sentiment is for real.... ( /pulls a blanket round and turns up the heat cuz dang it's cold in here for some reason..)

The sad part is, it probably is real... but trollish nonetheless.

...Dres (So, no... you are not an idiot.)

Sassy Romano wrote:

Dazler wrote:

Undelivered Marketplace Items:

If you have been billed, simply send the merchant a notecard inworld. (A notecard is more reliable than an instant message, as instant messages are often capped for merchants who receive a lot of correspondence.) Make sure that your notecard is polite and contains details of the failed transaction. Most merchants will be very willing to resend the item. Please give them a day or two to reply - don't expect an answer within minutes. You must remember that merchants are no different to you and do not sit by their computers at all hours of the day.

This is my cue to say that some merchants despise notecards, never want to see a notecard and wish that people would
READ the profile where it says
PLEASE, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR CHOSEN DEITY, DO NOT
SEND A NOTECARD
... NEVER EVER... NO WAY..
SEND A NOTECARD
.  SEND AN IM BECAUSE IT GOES TO EMAIL.

Some of the wisest and most beautiful words ever written.

ETA: But a lot of people are only going to read the words I have colored red above.

Mayalily wrote:
All in all I've ordered over 10,000 items from Marketplace..

Wow. I was under the impression that you had been shopping in SL less than a year.  In order to buy 10,000 items from the MP in one year, you would have to buy on avg. more than 27 items a day, 7 days a week.

I imagine that must have taken quite a lot of your time!

Whew, they moved your first message to Shopping and not Commerce!  Commerce is already so full of Marketplace delivery problem posts, there's nothing else to read anymore. So thank you for not putting it there!

BTW -- deliveries of all kinds (including notecards) will cap when IMs cap*; so be online when you hit the MP buy button, or your delivery is likely to cap.

*But even capped IMs get to email. Sooooo -- if you want to send a message, send one that will not cap.

[16:31] XXXXXXXXX: Invoice # XXXXXX5390

Ordered on December 08, 2011

Order Status: Delivered

Description

Item IDs

Unit Price

Qty

Total:

~Simply~ Christmas Lights Men's Jeans
Sold by Chelle Petlyakov Visit The StoreReview Product 

L$150

L$150

1 item has been delivered

it showed this item was delivered but i never recieved it

The above is an IM I just received from a customer (customer's name is x'd out)  today, who purchased a pair of jeans from the marketplace and went to my store in world to buy them when they did not get delivered. I refunded him for one pair of course, but this is not out of the ordinary. There is most definitely something wrong with the marketplace. I can't even remember ever having one complaint of a delivery failure on the old Xstreet site. The marketplace on the other hand, well this is the second customer I've been contacted by this week that did not receive the item they bought. I'm glad you haven't experienced any problems with the marketplace, but I think  you should count yourself lucky.

Hello
 I made several purchases in SL Market place yesterday - But the market places demmed that it would only deliver 2 of 7 items!
 I purchased
~Simply~ Winter Wonderland Dress / Cloak - Pink Frost
 Item ID # 47294920
Can this item be replaced?
 Thank You for your time
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Yet another nc I received this evening. Yep, looks like the marketplace isn't having any delivery failures.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Wow. I was under the impression that you had been shopping in SL less than a year.  In order to buy 10,000 items from the MP in one year, you would have to buy on avg. more than 27 items a day, 7 days a week.

A lot of items come in a folder.  I said I have over 10,000 items now, not I've made 10,000 purchases.  However, I have had so little failure, I find these threads to try to point out how awful and dreadful Marketplace as utter exaggeration, and I was running a computer under spec for at least six months!  And, still got hundreds and hundreds of items from MP just fine.

If some people are experiencing a little trouble now, I'd say it's most likely on their end as it's Christmas shopping season and there is a lot of internet traffic.  It's that time of year when broadband gets very congested no matter what, and every thing is slow to respond for me right now on the net.

@ Dres, you see just about every truth as trollish, which I find sad.  However, your trolling Dres and especially about Vampires, you cannot see in yourself, which is sad, but it's not my problem either.  Take care of your own mote, Dres.  Expecting delays and even problems with the viewer will be pare for the course with Christmas internet traffic in your neighborhood.  Luckily, I am able to get to Marketplace when most people are still sleeping in my neighborhood. 

As far as failures, I have none to complain about.  If people try to check out at heavy traffic times on the net, they might just run into some problems as it is every year this time of year. 

It is not a resident's responsibility to care about who is making tier or not.  I have my own rl problems and rl people to care about, and people's tier on the net ain't it.  If you can't compete in this business, find another job then. 

ETA:  @ Marcus -- I do not believe that Marketplace is hurting sales.  What has been going on for about a month or so is people are creating their own clothes.  I know at least 50 people currently making their own clothes.  People don't have much money right now, but if you leave, there are 50 people I know either getting ready to try to go professional as designers, or are simply making their own amateur clothing as money is very tight so people are making their own stuff.

Don't put the blame on those who prefer and have great success with power shopping on Marketplace for you being unable to pay tier.  Be aware that many people are making their own clothes now.  To suggest I should shop inworld to help people make tier is ludicrous.  I will shop as I like period. 

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Mayalily, sweety... you can't expect to criticize someone else's behavior and not expect them to turn around and criticize yours right back.  In other words, don't dish it out unless you can take it.

...Dres

You are the name caller Dres.  I cannot help you see that, you need to see and realize that on your own.  Try taking the mote out of your eye so you can see.

Mayalily wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Mayalily, sweety... you can't expect to criticize someone else's behavior and not expect them to turn around and criticize yours right back.  In other words, don't dish it out unless you can take it.

...Dres

You are the name caller Dres.  I cannot help you see that, you need to see and realize that on your own.  Try taking the mote out of your eye so you can see.

It's not my responsibility to care.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

...Dres

Figures.  They say a leopard cannot change it's spots.  A name caller you are, so a name caller you will remain.  I should have expected such from you as you are a two-faced very strange person. 

Mayalily wrote:

However, I have had so little failure, I find these threads to try to point out how awful and dreadful Marketplace as utter exaggeration, and I was running a computer under spec for at least six months!  And, still got hundreds and hundreds of items from MP just fine.

If some people are experiencing a little trouble now, I'd say it's most likely on their end as it's Christmas shopping season and there is a lot of internet traffic.  It's that time of year when broadband gets very congested no matter what, and every thing is slow to respond for me right now on the net.

Mayality, let me just explain something.  When Marketplace delivers, it sends a message to an inworld prim, the merchants "Magic Box".  That box then uses an LSL script function called llGiveInventory to send the object from object to avatar.  There is no response to indicate that this is received and since it's an object to avatar transaction, if the recipient is not in world and they have IM's capped or busy mode set, there will be an immediate loss with no information given to the Magic Box that this failed.

Also, when this transaction happens, IT DOESN'T COME TO YOUR HOME PC!  It's an entry in a database at LL that is a reference in your inventory that you have access to the object.  Your local inventory is just a cached view of what the LL database knows you to have so broadband speed, time of year being Christmas and the performance of your PC have nothing to do with the success of MP influencing a change to a database table at LL.

Further, as a customer, you have a polarised view of transactions.  As long as they work for you, then all is good and frankly it's good that you've had that experience.  A merchant has a different view, they get to see ALL of the transactions through their process and can then see which fail and which do not.  Only this morning, I had yet another IM from a cusotmer with a failed delivery and when it says in the MP orders page "DELIVERY FAILED" that's pretty clear, no argument at all.

Next, try buying from MP between the hours of 5.30am to 12.30pm on any day of your choice.  There's a systematic delay due to "something" that is clearly on a scheduled task basis within LL.  Every single day during those hours, MP delays are between 1 to 2 hours and here's the problem with that, above llGiveInventory?... If the customer gets bored waiting and has to log out.  If their IM's cap, that delivery is lost even though MP has "sent".  No confirmation of delivery remember.

So do please take a moment to appreciate that merchants have a different view of the operation and faults of the marketplace.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

However, I have had so little failure, I find these threads to try to point out how awful and dreadful Marketplace as utter exaggeration, and I was running a computer under spec for at least six months!  And, still got hundreds and hundreds of items from MP just fine.

Mayality, let me just explain something.  When Marketplace delivers, it sends a message to an inworld prim, the merchants "Magic Box".  That box then uses an LSL script function called llGiveInventory to send the object from object to avatar.  There is no response to indicate that this is received and since it's an object to avatar transaction, if the recipient is not in world and they have IM's capped or busy mode set, there will be an immediate loss with no information given to the Magic Box that this failed.

Also, when this transaction happens, IT DOESN'T COME TO YOUR HOME PC!  It's an entry in a database at LL that is a reference in your inventory that you have access to the object.  Your local inventory is just a cached view of what the LL database knows you to have so broadband speed, time of year being Christmas and the performance of your PC have nothing to do with the success of MP influencing a change to a database table at LL.

Further, as a customer, you have a polarised view of transactions.  As long as they work for you, then all is good and frankly it's good that you've had that experience.  A merchant has a different view, they get to see ALL of the transactions through their process and can then see which fail and which do not.  Only this morning, I had yet another IM from a cusotmer with a failed delivery and when it says in the MP orders page "DELIVERY FAILED" that's pretty clear, no argument at all.

Next, try buying from MP between the hours of 5.30am to 12.30pm on any day of your choice.  There's a systematic delay due to "something" that is clearly on a scheduled task basis within LL.  Every single day during those hours, MP delays are between 1 to 2 hours and here's the problem with that, above llGiveInventory?... If the customer gets bored waiting and has to log out.  If their IM's cap, that delivery is lost even though MP has "sent".  No confirmation of delivery remember.

So do please take a moment to appreciate that merchants have a different view of the operation and faults of the marketplace.

Thank you for this clear, concise and easy to understand explanation.  I do hope some people can get over their myopia long enough to read it.

I do have a question if you are able to answer.  What happens if the system can not find the object?

Mayalily wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

A lot of items come in a folder.  I said I have over 10,000 items now, not I've made 10,000 purchases.  

Actually, she posted your direct quote, which was " All in all I've ordered over 10,000 items from Marketplace... "  Excuse me, but doesn't ordering from Marketplace indicate an attempted purchase?  And if it does not indicate a purchase, then I presume they all failed delivery... 

The least you could do when trying to prove a point is remember what you said and stick to it.  

I guess I'm late to this party but here's my 2L worth.... I've been actively out of SL for about 2yrs now. Back in the day when I was heavily in world I used SLX constantly because SL itself was so laggy that it was virtually impossible (pun, haha!) to go to stores and make purchases. SLX was wonderful because I could sit on my sim and have everything delivered to me almost before I could click back to my SL tab. There was rarely a problem.Ah, the good ole days!

Now, I go back last week and decide to make a few purchases. I did go in world to a few places but a couple of things I used MarketPlace for the first time. Imagine my surprise when I'm standing around waiting for my stuff and I go check and I see that it may take HOURS? Wah?! Since when did this start happening? The naysayers used to talk about how SLX was going down the toilet once LL got a hold of it and you know what? It turned out they were right. It's LL Golden Touch at work once again. I'm done with purchasing on Marketplace. I prefer to visit the stores in world and give that extra commission% to the shop owners and not in LL's pocket. LL doesn't deserve it.

BeachPeach Georgia wrote:

I guess I'm late to this party but here's my 2L worth.... I've been actively out of SL for about 2yrs now. Back in the day when I was heavily in world I used SLX constantly because SL itself was so laggy that it was virtually impossible (pun, haha!) to go to stores and make purchases. SLX was wonderful because I could sit on my sim and have everything delivered to me almost before I could click back to my SL tab. There was rarely a problem.Ah, the good ole days!

Now, I go back last week and decide to make a few purchases. I did go in world to a few places but a couple of things I used MarketPlace for the first time. Imagine my surprise when I'm standing around waiting for my stuff and I go check and I see that it may take HOURS? Wah?! Since when did this start happening? The naysayers used to talk about how SLX was going down the toilet once LL got a hold of it and you know what? It turned out they were right. It's LL Golden Touch at work once again. I'm done with purchasing on Marketplace.
I prefer to visit the stores in world and give that extra commission% to the shop owners and not in LL's pocket. LL doesn't deserve it.

This!

Also, a lot of people don't realize the relationship between many things that they do and enjoy and the merchants.  We all know it's not cheap to own/maintain a SIM.  When I started a bit over four years ago many clubs and other things were tied or connected to malls.  So their was a Symbiotic relationship.  (Mayalilly, you wanted added value....there's some for you).

No doubt that it can be a time saver shopping the Market Place.  But shopping with friends can be fun also.

Perrie Juran wrote:

BeachPeach Georgia wrote:

Now, I go back last week and decide to make a few purchases. I did go in world to a few places but a couple of things I used MarketPlace for the first time. Imagine my surprise when I'm standing around waiting for my stuff and I go check and I see that it may take HOURS? Wah?! Since when did this start happening? The naysayers used to talk about how SLX was going down the toilet once LL got a hold of it and you know what? It turned out they were right. It's LL Golden Touch at work once again. I'm done with purchasing on Marketplace.
I prefer to visit the stores in world and give that extra commission% to the shop owners and not in LL's pocket. LL doesn't deserve it.

This!

Also, a lot of people don't realize the relationship between many things that they do and enjoy and the merchants.  We all know it's not cheap to own/maintain a SIM.  When I started a bit over four years ago many clubs and other things were tied or connected to malls.  So their was a Symbiotic relationship.  (Mayalilly, you wanted added value....there's some for you).

No doubt that it can be a time saver shopping the Market Place.  But shopping with friends can be fun also.

^ Also THIS!

In addition to being a merchant here in Second Life, I am also a customer and I can't tell you how much fun I have shopping with a buddy.  BeachPeach is absolutely correct...Linden Lab doesn't deserve the commission % they take from every Marketplace sale.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

That's why the favorites section is there.  Just log into viewer, clear your IM's, check out and log back in.  People have to use their brain to save time and money; you can store in your favorites of which I have tons, and then can go back and chose those items when I get the money.  Marketplace is pure genius that way, but people need to yes use their noodle and use logic, such as clear IM's.  I haven't experienced problems early in the morning until two weeks ago and SLT is my time as I live in California.  For the past two days I have had no early morning delivery problems.  It seemed resolved to me two days ago.

SL is flooded with designer's; it's called over-saturation.  With every one seller who leaves, there are 50 more waiting in the wings to take your place, so ask for a HAVING A SALE SECTION as a subforum.  The over-saturation here is similiar to eBay when eBay got over-flooded with sellers.  You either succeed or you don't, but I do resent someone insinuating that it is our responsibility to care about people's pixel tiers when real life people need food and clothing.  If you are on the internet and on SL, I assume you are doing far, far better than those people.  I also remember at Christmas time us seller's couldn't even log into eBay as the site would constantly go down because the website was flooded and seller's couldn't even log into eBay.  I supose it's true that SL wouldn't be as flooded as eBay or Amazon at Christmas-time, but still SL is not working that well in the viewer and sound keeps cutting out for everyone on SL; we assume it's due to a lot of internet traffic this time, which is quite logical. Problems with sound on every sim for two weeks, same amount of time as MP problems (which could be completely unrelated).  But, still there are very easy ways to make MP checkout work as stuff can be stored in your favorites, and then when the time is right, checkout, and voila!  Done, that was easy.

If they are changing from magic boxes, I just hope it doesn't take them that long to fix as it did for them to create a viewer, which as months!  (Understatement)

You are dealing with an over-saturated market, so network to try to increase sales by asking for a subforum where you can run your sales events. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

This!

Key word: Relationship.  I started to write a diatribe in response to Mayalily's "not my responsibility" dribble, but I believe it would be totally wasted effort.  But since you brought it up, I will respond to you. SL is a community.  It takes many roles within a community to make them work.  It takes relationships of many kinds.  Commerce compromises a large part of what makes SL enjoyable, where practically ALL of the content we enjoy is created by the community.  Merchant/creators not only provide amazing products that enable us to use SL as an entertainment platform, but many of them are responsible for the "places" that we enjoy going to in SL.  Put simply, merchants need customers to keep land in SL, customers need places to visit and explore in SL.  It's a relationship that helps our community thrive.  If you don't know that about SL, then you don't understand SL at all.  In a community we all have a responsible part to play.  

It's my understanding that if the MP listing expects the object to be there that the message is sent to the Magic Box.  If the Magic Box content has not been sync'd with MP then it will probably accept the request and will either do a blind llGiveInventory and fail.  The script (if written properly) should report inventory not found to the Marketplace and if it were well coded should at that point fail rapidly and gracefully and refund the purchasers funds.

I don't actually know whether this happens.  It appears that part of the issue is that the Marketplace functions have been separated out into several parts and the now we have a situation where money is taken in one process and as far as the customer is concerned, in their eyes,the merchant has their money.  Well the merchant doesn't but the customer doesn't care and frankly, nor should they need to. 

Transaction handling is the next and then finally merchant payment, logging and reporting last.  There can be significant delay between each and that suggests a fairly loosely coupled design so i'd not bet on the above scenario being how it works in practice but I don't have missing inventory in my Magic Box so I don't know.

The very common problem is a customer placing an order, money departs their account (and goes to a holding account Marketplace Linden.)

They then wait 10 minutes which is plenty long enough for an electronic delivery.  It doesn't arrive due to this 1 to 2 hour delay every 5.30 to 12.30 and the customer demands from the merchant to know where their item is.

The merchant hasn't been paid and if they give an item in goodwill, Marketplace can give up EIGHT HOURS LATER and refund the customer.

LL sits right slap bang in the middle of this.  LL has the customers money, LL processes fail to action the delivery of the product in a timely manner.

Direct Delivery should go a long way towards some issues but given this systematic time delay in the hours quoted, that's absolutely NOT a web to Magic Box comms issue and if someone isn't careful, they might just end up looking at the wall in the corner with the naughty hat on if they don't put some effort into fixing an underlying problem at the same time or earlier.  Ignore this at their peril.

Mayalily wrote:

That's why the favorites section is there.  Just log into viewer, clear your IM's, check out and log back in.  People have to use their brain to save time and money; you can store in your favorites of which I have tons, and then can go back and chose those items when I get the money.

Many new residents are unaware of IM capping so they don't understand that they will lose offered inventory.  Same for busy mode, which is the single most useless stupid idea in the viewer of all.  I have a JIRA in for over 2 years suggesting offered items during busy go to a "while you were out" folder or something like that instead of discarded.

Then you have people who might be offline for hours/days and forget or not remember, they web shop for work and expect to pick it up at home when they log in.  I know I used to do this.

Also, many OLD residents and merchants alike, seem either reluctant or unaware that IM's cap but the messages continue to email if they forward IM's to email.  However getting an email that says "Inventory offered" doesn't help when it's capped when you actually log in.

Mayalily wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...Dres

...Dres

Figures.  They say a leopard cannot change it's spots.  A name caller you are, so a name caller you will remain.  I should have expected such from you as you are a two-faced very strange person. 

Oh, I'm sorry Maya... I didn't realize you would take offense to my calling you sweety.  It's sort of a habit of mine, stemming from my southern upbringing.  You can rest assured that I will never, ever call you sweety again.  I hope that settle this.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.