Please someone help me to STAY logged in! ARRGGH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok ive recently had new broadband installed on a new telephone line. According to my ISP there are no faults on the line and my line isnt dropping out at all. 

When i log into SL its fine for about 2 minutes (althought wont rez anything, esp my avatar, im just a cloud and ctrl alt r doesnt help) and then decides to log me out. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I gave up, but thought id ask if anyone can help! When i try to log back in again it says 'Login failed. Region has begun the logout process'. So i retry logging in again and it lets me but logs me out again etc

Arrgghh! Please someone help me! I dont think its my laptop (have used this many times before and havent changed a thing). Maybe ive set the router up wrong maybe, although this also happens when wired too! 

Thank you

Hello Simona. About your appearance issues, try the following:

• Move to a region without lag, or better relog there. Protected lands like Smith, Exeuxoa or Anzere are recommended.
  • Open your inventory type something in search there and wait fetching all your items till the last one. When fetching finishes, try to change outfit choosing choosing one with just the necessary stuff (skin, shape, hair, eyes, pants and shirt) without any attachments. Wait some seconds and rebake your textures with Ctrl+Alt+R. Repeat same process if it is necessary.
  • If the problem remains follow the suggestions at the following link: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_bake_​fail They work for all viewers.
  • If still you haven't fixed your problem, obviously you have corrupted files in your computer. If so, you have to delete them and to download new ones. To do that, delete all contests at the following folder and after repeat steps 1 and 2: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife / If the folder Appdata is a hidden, --> Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders

See if that helps for your crashing issue also.

My guess is your new line is either noisy or is running slow (or both). Before we can confirm that, though, you'll obviously want to eliminate the usual suspects, which means restart your router and modem, restart your computer, and use a wired connection.

After you've done that, if the problem persists, open up the statistics bar in SL (crtrl-shift-1), and check a couple of numbers.  Your ping to the sim should be averaging around 100ms, and packet loss should be at zero.  If ping significantly higher than 100 ms, and/or if packet loss is anything other than zero, then you know you've got a connection problem somewhere. 

Try running a traceroute to the sim, to see where the bottleneck is. You can find the sim's URL in Help -> About Second Life.  It will be something like sim12345.agni.lindenlab.com.  After you've got the address, open up a command prompt, and type the word "tracert" followed by a space, and then the URL.  After a few seconds, you'll see every network hop between you and the sim, along with a reading of how much time it takes for a packet of data to go across each.  

First you'll see your router, which will most likely have the IP address 192.168.1.1.  The time reading should be <1ms.  If it's any more than a millisecond, then you know the problem is definitely on your end.

Next you'll see your ISP's various hubs and such. (For example, I use RoadRunner, so I always see a whole bunch of rr.com addresses whenever I run a traceroute to anywhere.)  If any of the addresses within your ISP's network are taking an absurdly long time, you can alert the company to to the problem, and hopefully they'll do something about it.  If they don't, then at least you know they're the culprit, and you can stop doing business with them, assuming you have any other options in your area.

After your ISP's stuff, you'll see more general Internet stuff, then LL's ISP, then LL itself, and finally the particular sim.  If the problem is somewhere in between your ISP and LL, there's probably not a whole lot you can do.  But at least you'll know that, for whatever that's worth.  If it's on LL's end, alert them via a (detailed) trouble ticket, and they'll do what they can to fix it.

If the traceroute does not reveal any obvious problems, my next guess is there's something wrong on your computer.  How healthy is your machine?  Consider the following questions:

1.  When was the last time you defragged your hard drive(s)?  And I mean a real defrag, using software that's actually up to the task, like Diskeeper or O&O Defrag.  The built-in Windows Degragmenter utlilty really doesn't do a damned thing. 

2.  Are you absolutely certain the system is free of malware? What anti-virus and anti-spyware applications do you have running, are they up to date, and when was the last time they completed a full system scan?

3.  How much RAM do you have, and is it all healthy? MemTest86 is a great little utility for testing your memory.  It's a good idea to run it every few months, just to make sure everything's OK.

4.  When was the last time you updated your device drivers, including graphics driver, audio driver, motherboard driver, and network driver?  And did you do the updates properly, meaning completely uninstalling each older driver before manually installing its newer replacement?  In case you didn't realize this, you should never, ever, EVER let Windows Update touch your drivers under any circumstances, as it will botch the job every single time.  Drivers should always be downloaded directly from the manufacturer's website, and installed by hand, in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

5.  When was the last time you cleared your SL application data, as LoveAngel suggested?  Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the viewer?  Have you tried tweaking your preferences settings?

If all of the above checks out, and you still can't pinpoint the problem, I'm stumped for now.

ETA:  While I was typing the above, you added that the problem is happening on two different machines, which makes it unlikely that any of my numbered questions point to the issue.  I'm leaving them in place, though, since they're good general maintenance tips that everyone should follow, regardless. :)

For the moment, my money's still on a bad line from your new ISP.

I see all the good suggestions you received, here is one I recently was impacted by.  The cabling from the router to your computer, (if not wireless).   If you are using a coax feed to your modem, from the point of entry into your home, use RG6 (the best) not the older and less shielded RG59.  I my case I was seeing a growing number of connection interruptions from my network monitoring software.  Once the cabling was upgraded, the temporary problems stopped.

Ann Otoole wrote:

Broadband on a telephone line? Never heard of that before.

In the US, we have several options for broadband over lines provided by phone companies, including DSL and FiOS.  Not sure what they've got in the UK, but I'd imagine it's similar.

Ann Otoole wrote:

8MB should be good enough

8MB would be screamin' fast!  8Mb, on the other hand, is pretty decent. :)

This issue points to:

1. Bad modem/router. If your provider is a Telco, it is possible you recieved a refurbished modem/router, or one that is simply bad out of the box.

2. DSL (copper based broadband),is distance dependant from your Central Office (the phone company building where you get your dial tone, assuming you have voice and not dry-loop DSL).

If you pay another provider other than your local telco, they are still leasing the Telco's equipment for transporting their DSL.

It is possible you may live at the end of the loop, and not really qualify for your provisioned speeds.

Contact your provider and have them send out a technician to test with a laptop, and a meter. When your provider runs their web gui tests from inside the office when you call, it is not the same as actually having a (good) technician out to clip on the pair and take actual readings from the frame, and at all testing points up to the jack (if possible contractually).

hahhaahah mistype. sorry. gawd sticklers for exact specs around here lol.

Also to the OP: Disable HTTP textures. That seems to be causing a lot of people issues. I watched my port monitor the other night with only SL running. The clients (sl app and the horde of plugins) kept opening and closing dozens of ports to dozens of LL IP addresses. I kid you not. After all rezzed and i was motionless with draw distance at 128. Since I have a 30 mbps link I don't notice it.

Ann Otoole wrote:

hahhaahah mistype. sorry. gawd sticklers for exact specs around here lol.

But wait, there's more! :D

Ann Otoole wrote:

Since I have a 30 mbps link I don't notice it.

30 millibits per second?  Oh, you poor thing!  Yeah, I guess it would be hard to notice much of anything when it takes over 33 seconds to receive a single bit. ;)

I certainly hope you meant 30 Mbps.

Ain't typing fun? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.