Has anyone gotten the official release of Firestorm yet?

Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's detailed, and enthusiastic, reviews of it in Living In The Modem World and NalatesThings & Stuff.   There's also quite a detailed discussion over the road at SLU, in which several Firestorm devs are participating.

I had a quick play with it, after I got over the confusion caused by the fact their "V3" UI in what they call "V3.2" is, in fact, the old V2/3 UI (can't move the buttons about it).    I quite liked it, but didn't see anything that made me want to switch from Marine's RLV/Dolphin/Catznip, which are the viewers I usually use.   But I realise I'm in a minority in preferring them to Firestorm, anyway, so my views shouldn't be taken as particularly authoritative in this matter. 

Innula Zenovka wrote:

There's detailed, and enthusiastic, reviews of it in
 and
.   There's also quite a detailed discussion
, in which several Firestorm devs are participating.

I had a quick play with it, after I got over the confusion caused by the fact their "V3" UI in what they call "V3.2" is, in fact, the old V2/3 UI (can't move the buttons about it).    I quite liked it, but didn't see anything that made me want to switch from Marine's RLV/Dolphin/Catznip, which are the viewers I usually use.   But I realise I'm in a minority in preferring them to Firestorm, anyway, so my views shouldn't be taken as particularly authoritative in this matter. 

i had been waiting for this release for quite some time..but ya i am really liking the actual V3 myself..

i was hoping they would have suprized us and it been on that..but i understand that we would have really been waiting longer..

hopefully now that FS is finally released we can look forward to a version that is of the V3 interface..

but i have to say.this is nice for the V2's for sure..

but i just fell too in love with V3 to stay FS for now..i just love the roomy feeling i had gotten used to the past month or so hehehe

and yes those buttons that we can drag and drop hehehe

To  be fair, I've never really bothered to look at their Phoenix or Hybrid modes.   I switch viewers a lot, for testing my products (there are normally several different versions of RLV and RLVa both in general use, and I've learned the hard way that some sculpties just won't render properly in some viewers),  and I rapidly realised that, while I could keep the V1 and V2 UIs straight in my head, there was no need to confuse myself by trying to learn V1-and-a-bit, too.

I saw the announcement of the Official Release on the login page.  I installed it this morning and all seems well.  Before I installed, I took the time to review the notes of changes and existing bugs.  There is a comprehensive mapping of the beta preference v the official release that is helpful, too.

Of course, their inworld help group is swamped with questions but everyone seems to be taking it in stride. 

I have been managing just fine with FS Mesh Beta.

I downloaded the release viewer yesterday and thought all was well until I realised that the sky had no clouds and linden water was extremely transparent and a much darker shade of blue than should be the case, and had no surface "ripple" (ie. light reflecting off the ripples) effect. I had this same issue with one version of Kirstens viewer much earlier this year (the issue was resolved in the following Kirstens release).

I raised my issue twice in FS inworld group chat, but was ignored in favour of  a host of very simple questions being answered. As things stand, I'm sticking with the Mesh Beta for now.

Just an update here. In a thread over at SLU someone has raised and posted pics of exactly the same problem with regard to water that I've been experiencing. According to the FS developers, and if I've understood what is being said correctly, this issue will persist for some until LL makes further graphics rendering fixes. The suggestion was to use release 3.1. However, that release crashes my PC!

I find it a little odd that this problem has re-emerged for me. Earlier this year I had experienced the same issue with a Kirstens release. But the next release (as a result of LL graphics rendering fixes) resolved the issue for me. I find it strange that further "fixes" made since that time should have caused the problem to re-merge. 

Ian Undercroft wrote:

I have lovely water too! May be, my mistake was not to uninstall my FS files before downloading the new release. However, I'm not going to lose the Mesh Beta in case I can't get it back.

you can get it back..i've went back and forth with it a few times..just keep the exe or zip for it..

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote:

And I have no clouds, but I do have lovely water!  *laughs*

Running FS 3.2.2 (24336) version here. Works great on my harware. I cannot see much difference between this and the latest Linden Lab beta in regard to performance. Good frame rates in both. Shadows work well in both.

Note on Firestorm: I can see lovely rippling water, and I can see the clouds too.

It looks like there are still issues with some hardware as people are reporting problems.

I wound up moving to the "alternate" release FS 3.2.1 (24179) and am getting around much better with it. Still no clouds though! :smileyvery-happy:

ETA: Scratch that, I enabled atmospheric shaders and now I have clouds. Unfortunately, it slowed things down enough that I can't walk. Meh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.