DNS Problem

Hailey Takacs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Antonio Galfo,

hi i need some help i can not log in sl it says DNS could not resolve host name i tryed everything whats in the knowlege databank but nothing work HELP PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are posting on our Verus Crour on Facebook they cannot get into SL. any Idea what he can do to get back in.

Turn your router off for a few minutes, or unplug the power to it if there is no on/switch, and turn it back on. On your computer, assuming it is a Windows operating system, right click your internet connection and choose repair or just reboot the computer.

If that doesn't work, try another viewer, and repeat the above procedure.  

The DNS problem with SL is often a problem with your internet connection, usually due to a slow internet, or downloading/using torrents, could be someone else as well using the same network, or wireless connection creating issues, and if not there is a simple fix for this I find that often works.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Unplug your modem/router, wait about 60 seconds most say, but id say 3-5 minutes, and then plug it back in, and Turn the computer back on.

For users who know how to use a command prompt.

1. Run the command prompt as an administrator.

Type the following commands in this order.

1. ipconfig/flushdns

2. ipconfig/release

3. ipconfig/renew

I find that these usually fix most basic issues with internet connection problems otherwise I would check.

www.speedtest.net

www.pingtest.net

I remember how a few years ago users of the Dutch-provider XS4ALL (I was over then with them) could not connect to SL at all. Later it turned out that it was not a problem of XS4ALL or Second Life. Somewhere in between a router messed up. Was not that easy to get that corrected...

Point is... this kind of problems are mostly not problems with Second Life itself. Mostly with your own hardware or your provider.... or somewhere along that long line from your provider to Second Life...

I have had a DNS issue since viewer 2.5 came out. I also had the issue back when viewer 2 first came out, I tried it again some versions later and it worked. Well until 2.5. I tried everything, I use Google DNS. I am fairly sure by now it has nothing to do with my modem, router or ISP. Since if that was an issue Viewer 2 would never have worked at all. I am pretty much believe at this point it's something within the program itself that causes it. Mac user had the issue not too long ago and a patch came out. And I am betting it only effects a small percentage of people.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.