Defining Griefing In The Forums

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Tis an interesting topic. I think the troll/griefer's interpretation of just how relevant their *cough humour is, depends entirely upon 3 things:

1. The depth of their basement

2. The amount of alcohol consumed

3. Their level of disconnection from RL

Oh wait! one more..

4. What planet they are on. "Life Jim, but not as we know it" ^^

La la land seems quite popular.

Maryanne Solo wrote:

'Tis an interesting topic. I think the troll/griefer's interpretation of just how relevant their
*cough
humour
is, depends entirely upon 3 things:

1. The depth of their basement

2. The amount of alcohol consumed

3. Their level of disconnection from RL

Oh wait! one more..

4. What planet they are on. "Life Jim, but not as we know it" ^^

La la land seems quite popular.

Yeah, I don't know...I tend to do my trolling from my home office or my bedroom.  Basements are very rare in my area.  I am just arrogant enough to believe that my humor is always in season...I host girls night every third Wednesday of the month, so that is really the only time I drink to anything that would be considered excessive or outside the norm of a social drinker (mark your calendars)...and I am exposed to and connected to RL a great deal more than I care to be sometimes...and thanks to gravity and a corporate job, I am prevented from taking up residence on an alternate planet. 

This thread isn't griefing, but I see it as a good dose of trolling.

It seems to me that at least some of the posters here take great delight in picking on the deficiencies of others and OH!....the lulz!

They get their super-intellectual humour kick that way I have no doubt, but they are not empathetic enough to see the effect that has on others.

They claim to care about SL yet drive any dissenting voice screaming from the only official forums while using all the others as well, just to yah boo at anyone and everyone. How does that help concurrency?

I'm sure most of the people reading this where "the cap fits" will read through this thread again and see fun and merriment.

I see the same few people rounding on anyone who disagrees and sneering down their noses at them.

I rarely post but read daily, and I do find it rude here. I'm not a whiner, I'm not stupid and I don't need a tissue for my issue thanks. I'm just put off by an atmosphere of disdain and one-upmanship, as I'm sure are many others.

You may not like my opinion, but then, I may not like yours. I voice mine rarely these days.

Eloise Baily wrote:

This thread isn't griefing, but I see it as a good dose of trolling.

It seems to me that at least some of the posters here take great delight in picking on the deficiencies of others and OH!....the lulz!

They get their super-intellectual humour kick that way I have no doubt, but they are not empathetic enough to see the effect that has on others.

They claim to care about SL yet drive any dissenting voice screaming from the only official forums while using all the others as well, just to yah boo at anyone and everyone. How does that help concurrency?

I'm sure most of the people reading this where "the cap fits" will read through this thread again and see fun and merriment.

I see the same few people rounding on anyone who disagrees and sneering down their noses at them.

I rarely post but read daily, and I do find it rude here. I'm not a whiner, I'm not stupid and I don't need a tissue for my issue thanks. I'm just put off by an atmosphere of disdain and one-upmanship, as I'm sure are many others.

You may not like my opinion, but then, I may not like yours. I voice mine rarely these days.

You have some good points Eloise, and I am not sure exactly what posts you have in mind, but I do think that one does not have to be super-intellectual or intent on suppressing dissent if one challenges the assertion that, for example, someone is a vampire or fairy IRL, or that there is no point in learning history, military history in particular.

It is not surprising to me that people had fun with the vampire and fairy claims; it's just not realistic to expect them to go unchallenged or parodied on an internet forum.

Eloise Baily wrote:

[...] You may not like my opinion, but then, I may not like yours. I voice mine rarely these days.

you should though... it's not about changing the mind of the person you are talking to (that rarely happens) but it does give them something to consider, and everyone reading gets multiple perspectives to make up their mind with. assuming of course it's a debate topic rather than just an informational one =)

as for the rest of your post... I've been accused of most of that (heck you may have even had me in mind for all I know =D),  so allow me to present a flip side to that.... certain people have a tendency to take disagreement and constructive criticism as a personal attack, no matter how gently you peddle it... a few other even take advantage of people willing to soft sell their disagreement to try and up their social status. the only sane response is not to bother with the soft sell for those people, because they're only interested in playing victim for sympathy so the big bad meanies will be forced by everyone to agree with them (no matter how wrong they may be). I don't really see any joy to be had in that kind of exchange, but maybe I'm not the proper sort of troll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.