How can I stop selling products to people I banned?

Darkraven Danick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's a guy I suspect he might be using copybot, but I don't have strong evidence to repot him yet.

What I can do so far is to ban him and (hopefully) he won't be able to buy anything from me.

But it seems that he still can buy my products on marcketplace and my magic boxes still deliever items to him.... which bugs me a lot....

Is there any one know how to get him "banned from all objects owned by me,  so that he can not buy anything from me anymore? thanks

One thing you can do is make a list of things he's bought and offer them for free.

Be sure he knows about it and be sure he knows why.

If we ALL did that and told him we were doing it, his resale of copybotted items might not be profitable enough to offset his initial purchases and he might get the picture.

Darkraven Danick wrote:

There's a guy I suspect he might be using copybot, but I don't have strong evidence to repot him yet.

What I can do so far is to ban him and (hopefully) he won't be able to buy anything from me.

He can just shop with an alt and copy them just as easily.  You're wasting energy worrying about it.

Darkraven Danick wrote:

I just don't understand. if you ban someone, all your in-world object "refuse service" to that person. why, a magic box also owned by you, can't do that?
o.O

It could easily be done but forget doing anything with magic box, LL has no appetite for it though it could equally be implemented on a merchants web form, a blacklist of customers.

It's still pointless though unless LL were to provide some mechanism of alt detection that was faultless.  Forget IP's, MAC addresses or any other signature in the viewer.  None of those will work reliably and can all be circumvented and any proper method for authentication that enforced non repduation just isn't of interest to LL either.  Always ask this question, "how much money can they make by implementing xx feature?".  In this case none so it gets handed off to Can'tBeBothered Linden.

Ai Velde wrote:

To it being a "pointless" feature: People bypass in-world bans all the time in world with alts, does that stop people from banning them? Nope. Would people stop banning even if it's pointless ultimately with alts? Nope. :smileyvery-happy:

It's simply a means of protection, prerogative and falls under our right as merchants and business owners, really.

I very very rarely ban anyone, I think in 2 years the ban list still fits on one hand.  There really is just no point, it's futile for nearly all the usual reasons and even less so for copybot protection since the person copying doesn't need to even own the item they want to copy.

Yes I agree that the merchant *should* have a right to choose, simply that it's futile at present and will remain so unless the fundamental method of authentication is changed to support it properly.

There is NO protection, to believe there is, is simply living with an illusion.

Ai Velde wrote:

Valid points, but that also covers the broader spectrum of IP bans.

I don't foresee LL ever figuring out how to ban IP addresses from the grid (and they certainly should, would make everyone's lives a lot easier, especially sim owners), even still this is a feature that I think is only fair to have, pointless or otherwise.

But there is no point implementing an IP ban.  It's trivial to circumvent.  It needs something far more individualised and bound to the user.  An IP ban is laughably inadequate.

As usual this kind of thread is useless.

IP ban is nonsense, would affect some of you maybe, but many (including me) are not affected.

Banning a copybotter? This person can't make another avatar and buy and copy your stuff? What makes you think so?

I don't see anything you can do except watch for duplicates and report to Lindens. That's dissatisfying and will not really help.

Oh...copybot...............

What makes SL most similar to RL is the freedom it has, but what makes SL unlike RL most is its lawlessness .

A sound society/economy should carefully balance both freedom and law. 

I hope all copybots will eventually be forbidden in SL one day...

Freedom makes SL valuable, but only corresponding law will make this value lasting and invulnerable.

To preserve a contributer-friendly environment for creators is undoubtedly more important than preserving an copybot-friendly environment for thefts. Thefts not only infringe residents' rights but also harm people's trust in the economy and government.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.