CommerceTeam Linden who are you and what have you done with Brooke?

Lasher Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah I quite like the concept of "CommerceTeam". It also means whatever Linden is free at the time can pop over and talk to us, not putting this entire responsibility squarely on Brooke's shoulders.

Likely, that just allows a more natural workflow for them.

They can always let us know which Linden we are talking to at the moment... if they wish. For many situations (although nice & personable) it's not very relevent... and there is a lot of shooting the messenger happens here. Sometimes I feel bad for the individual who's job it is to inform us of some contentious issue.

Some other Linden communicator positions may also benefit from this team approach.

Any company who reports their financials in currency that they create and that they have the ability to trade among their own resources makes me uneasy.  Moreover, their recent wave after wave of turn overs combined with a declinng concrrency that does not accurately reflect in their financials when we merchants all know, numbers are down tells me something is up.

This also allows them to maintain the excessively rate of turn over without anyone questioning their companies ability to keep staff.  Is it just me or does anyone else find their turn over lately to be of serious question?

It is fairly standard at any company these days (unfortunately for workers) to hire temp-only contract positions. There is little job security anywhere anymore & no such thing much as lifetime careers either. So if Linden Lab runs HR this way too, it doesn't say much of anything really. That said, I would not assume anyone got the boot due to a new name!

When Second Life began, it was kind of like Apollo Project in complexity. Technology is improved since then, and increasingly stuff is automated or/and simplified. So it just don't require so many people at the controls to keep something like this cruising along.

Actually there is little reason for a merchant here to scrutinize the inner workings of LL so closely. I used to do it a little but then I thought why do it? I dunno... maybe I've seen enough now to make me feel confident of Linden Lab at least for near term future.

I don't put any of my other business partners or distributors under such intense magnifying glass. Gives me more time to design stuff & complete projects.

Lasher Oh wrote:

Has Brooke got the boot?

^L^

No. Brooke just rolled a fix out yesterday:

Brooke Linden resolved WEB-2920.

--------------------------------

Resolution: Fixed

This has been deployed. Please see the Release Notes for details. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Marketplace_Current

> NO correlation between a customers transaction number for individiual items and the merchants due to the use of Marketplace Linden intermediary

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> Key: WEB-2920

> URL: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-2920

Actually there is little reason for a merchant here to scrutinize the inner workings of LL so closely. I used to do it a little but then I thought why do it? I dunno... Maybe I've seen enough now to make me feel confident of Linden Lab at least for near term future.

I don't put any of my other business partners or distributors under such intense magnifying glass. Gives me more time to design stuff & complete projects.

I hate to disagree with your here but it's known in business as Due Diligence.  You make sure the company you are dependent on, will be there and be able to support your needs as you grow your business.  It's why in RL, I get financials and do extensive research before I select a strategic partner.  Many people have left SL over this very reason and I for one, don't plan on skipping through lala land hoping for the best. Hope does not pay my mortgage.

When our company brought in our dozen or so mainstream companies in 2008, it was largely based on promises and commitments made by LL. Most of which where never met.  We continue to loose creators and others over the lack of transparency. I am sure there are many on this board who feel the same as WE choose not to put our heads in the sand and wait.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

Actually there is little reason for a merchant here to scrutinize the inner workings of LL so closely. I used to do it a little but then I thought why do it? I dunno... Maybe I've seen enough now to make me feel confident of Linden Lab at least for near term future.

I hate to disagree with your here but it's known in business as Due Diligence.  You make sure the company you are dependent on, will be there and be able to support your needs as you grow your business.  It's why in RL, I get financials and do extensive research before I select a strategic partner.  Many people have left SL over this very reason and I for one, don't plan on skipping through lala land hoping for the best. Hope does not pay my mortgage.

When our company brought in our dozen or so mainstream companies in 2008, it was largely based on promises and commitments made by LL. Most of which where never met.  We continue to loose creators and others over the lack of transparency. I am sure there are many on this board who feel the same as WE choose not to put our heads in the sand and wait.

I agree with you Chelsea,

The problem with the Merchant community is that it is made up of a mix of Merchants that dont have too much RL Business Partnership / Business Operation / Business Strategy experience and those that have a lot of it.

For those Merchants that just see their SL Virtual business as nothing more than a Virtual World RP and what ever $L money they end up getting from it - BONUS! - they simply are happy with what ever service LL's MP offers them.  They do not know better that unacceptable business partner or supplier operations is not something that should be tolerated or excepted or even fully understood.  To them, they are starving and if LL gives them a crumb - dont complain that it could have been an entire loaf.

The other group of Merchants like you clearly describe yourself as being (and I am too) - see LL and their service offering to my SL Virtual business as a critical supplier in a near monopoly.  As a critical supplier to my business it is clearly in my best interest to fully understand where I stand with them, what theier plans are, what actions and strategies are they taking, etc. that could either benfit or risk my operations.  I would also expect the right to be very critical about a monopoly supplier that is not performing and is risking my business.

There is also a different strategy to take when my supplier is a monopoly in my market vs in competition with other suppliers.

Thanks for pointing out to the non rl business minded merchants how RL business works and how it relates to LL.

Oh I'm all for due diligence as well. But as for scrutinizing minor details such as employee churn and such, I find many of these factors irrelevant from a business perspective. Mainly, because there is myriad potential reasons behind any companies HR decisions, I see it as extraneous info. I deal with several companies for my non-SL media development, and if I see a new name on the site, or a new name on a contact email, I think little of it.

Sure, since my entry here back in 2006, I've seen a couple highly embarrassing flubs from the lab. Things so bad that I've had to call them out on it. I've seen the same from other companies I deal with. However these incidents sit upon a backdrop of reliability, honesty, and a general sense of care -- which is why I continue to work with these people.

After 5 years of what I'd describe as a baseline of good service here & now also with an obviously competent CEO at the helm, I'm content to apply a much lower level of attention to all these matters. I've already put them through my own period of intense examination. I'll still pay attention to the basics, but as of now they're a pass in my books.

Some of the "hostility" was "personal" because someone repeatedly chose to be personally identified with false and misleading statements.

If I had been dealing with Commerce Team Linden rather than Brooke and Dakota, my criticisms would have been the same. 

Neither does a lie become true, nor does the truth become a lie simply on the basis of whether the accused or the accuser are personally identified. 

Alternate Theory #42:

Brooke found within her team (or within her available human resources) someone that is connected internally, knows what's going on, and is better at communicating those things with the User Community.

That person is now on the task of formalizing communcation channels and applying structure to the pipeline and tools. That person is "Task Named" (CommerceTeam Linden) rather than personally indentified .. possibly because they have another visible function within LL. (And even if not, the task-oriented name is more informative anyway.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.