AVATAR: keeps on rezzing and de-rezzing

Maia007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone!

I've been an SL Resident for a few months now and just some days back I had this problem with my avatar (well, still do). I thought it's just a temporary thing that my avatar keeps on rezzing and de-rezzing that I got to rebake every 5-10 seconds now (no kidding!). I almost always see to it that I clear my cache every 2 days or so depending on the amount of time I spend adding and deleting and adding and deleting stuff from my inventory. Also, I tried relogging to refresh everything. I do have the latest version of the SL Viewer -- Second Life 3.0.3 (240895) -- which, by the way, the only viewer that really works for me so now I don't know how to solve this problem because this never happened before. One of my friends suggested I try this "Clear Cache without Logging Out" ball thingy and I did but to no avail. 

Can anyone please assist me with this? I'd highly appreciate your time :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Yes, I don't understand it either coz this is the first time it happened. Well, first time was a few days back but I didn't have any problems seeing my avatar clearly months before this so am pretty alarmed. Thank you for the clearing cache advice, I'd keep that in mind :matte-motes-smitten: I think I got carried away thinking that it might be a solution to this problem.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I do not know what is causing you to re-rez frequently however you do not need to clear your cache so often.  Once every couple of months or so should be sufficient or when you experience an inventory issue.

Hi Maia,

Welcome to the forums.  I have been having this issue for more than a month.  I always seem to be just a bit blurry unless I constantly rebake.  No one else sees me this way so I just ignore it unless I want to take a picture or something.  I use both the SL viewer and Firestorm and the same happens on both.  I will be interested to see if anyone has a solution.

Cinn

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: 

I always seem to be just a bit blurry unless I constantly rebake.  No one else sees me this way so I just ignore it unless I want to take a picture or something.

Cinn

This happens to me, too. My tattoos or the pattern on clothing is blurry, so i press Ctrl-Alt -r and everything instantly comes into sharp focus but then in a few seconds everything becomes blurry & I get this kinduv "planet of the apes" look, then everything comes back into focus except the stuff that was blurry to begin with. I was thinking it was because my tats & outfits are cheap freebies so have been just living with it. I use Firestorm & I'm not sure if others see me as blurry or not. I guess I can live with it but it is mildly annoying & I'd like to fix it if I could.

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: 

I always seem to be just a bit blurry unless I constantly rebake.  No one else sees me this way so I just ignore it unless I want to take a picture or something.

Cinn

This happens to me, too. My tattoos or the pattern on clothing is blurry, so i press Ctrl-Alt -r and everything instantly comes into sharp focus but then in a few seconds everything becomes blurry & I get this kinduv "planet of the apes" look, then everything comes back into focus except the stuff that was blurry to begin with. I was thinking it was because my tats & outfits are cheap freebies so have been just living with it. I use Firestorm & I'm not sure if others see me as blurry or not. I guess I can live with it but it is mildly annoying & I'd like to fix it if I could.

Jeanne

The fuzziness you see, which then comes into sharp focus, is caused by what's called "progressive downloading". To decrease the time it takes for your avatar to become at least somewhat visible, the SL servers send a subset of your skin/clothing pixels to your viewer right away, then keep filling in detail over time. So the initial painting of your avatar may be done with only 1/16th of the pixels in your avatar texture, with each pixel being displayed 16x larger. As the additional pixels are downloaded, the resolution of your avatar improves.

The texture downloaded to the viewer is "baked" from all the skin, tattoo and clothing layers you are wearing, which are combined in the SL server to produce a single texture for application to your avatar. This is why you needn't worry about having your skin rezzed, but not your clothing, unless there's an error in SL's "wearing" mechanism. Your baked texture includes your clothing over your skin, so there's no naked body texture being sent down from the servers, with clothing to follow. It's all one texture.

Now, I don't know why this mechanism sometimes breaks, but it seems that the viewer can think it has the full resolution texture in cache when it's actually got only one of the lower resolution parts of the full download. Rebaking textures should fix this, by sending the viewer a new avatar texture.

When you see perpetually fuzzy textures on prims (which are not baked from layers like your avatar) that once looked fine, it's time to clear your cache. The viewer has gotten itself in a position where it thinks the texture in the cache for the fuzzy prim is full resolution when it's actually only one of the first steps of the progressive download. So long as that incompletely loaded texture is in cache, the viewer is not goinig to ask for a fresh copy. Clearing the cache eliminates all the downloaded textures, good and bad, and the viewer starts over, hopefully with fully downloaded copies of all the textures in your view.

This doesn't solve your problem, but hopefully gives you some understanding of how the system works, or doesn't.

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

Hi Maia,

Welcome to the forums.  I have been having this issue for more than a month.  I always seem to be just a bit blurry unless I constantly rebake.  No one else sees me this way so I just ignore it unless I want to take a picture or something.  I use both the SL viewer and Firestorm and the same happens on both.  I will be interested to see if anyone has a solution.

Cinn

Hello Cinn! 

Thanks for the warm welcome :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: Yeah, you got a point there about just ignoring it and try to rebake when I need to like, take photos too but in my case, people do see me all blurry and they constantly notice and tell me so that adds up to the pressure of wanting to know what I can do to fix this. Haha! I guess I'll just wait for that moment when we get to hear from someone who has the solution :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: I only use SL Viewer (tried the third party ones but they just don't work for me) and I do update my version of the viewer I use so I really can't pinpoint where the problem is. Sigh. Anyway, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this :matte-motes-big-grin:

Maia 

I'm relieved to find out that am not alone in this. I thought it's just with something I use or whatever I did. Thanks for sharing Jeanne :matte-motes-grin:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: 

Cinn

Jeanne

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: 

Cinn

Jeanne

The fuzziness you see, which then comes into sharp focus, is caused by what's called "progressive downloading". To decrease the time it takes for your avatar to become at least somewhat visible, the SL servers send a subset of your skin/clothing pixels to your viewer right away, then keep filling in detail over time. So the initial painting of your avatar may be done with only 1/16th of the pixels in your avatar texture, with each pixel being displayed 16x larger. As the additional pixels are downloaded, the resolution of your avatar improves.

The texture downloaded to the viewer is "baked" from all the skin, tattoo and clothing layers you are wearing, which are combined in the SL server to produce a single texture for application to your avatar. This is why you needn't worry about having your skin rezzed, but not your clothing, unless there's an error in SL's "wearing" mechanism. Your baked texture includes your clothing over your skin, so there's no naked body texture being sent down from the servers, with clothing to follow. It's all one texture.

Now, I don't know why this mechanism sometimes breaks, but it seems that the viewer can think it has the full resolution texture in cache when it's actually got only one of the lower resolution parts of the full download. Rebaking textures should fix this, by sending the viewer a new avatar texture.

When you see perpetually fuzzy textures on prims (which are not baked from layers like your avatar) that once looked fine, it's time to clear your cache. The viewer has gotten itself in a position where it thinks the texture in the cache for the fuzzy prim is full resolution when it's actually only one of the first steps of the progressive download. So long as that incompletely loaded texture is in cache, the viewer is not goinig to ask for a fresh copy. Clearing the cache eliminates all the downloaded textures, good and bad, and the viewer starts over, hopefully with fully downloaded copies of all the textures in your view.

This doesn't solve your problem, but hopefully gives you some understanding of how the system works, or doesn't.

Thank you for this detailed explanation of how things work (or not), I appreciate it so much. Yes, I guess rebaking and clearing the cache isn't the way to go about it but I do know that there is a way or two on how to fix this, somewhere, we'll just have to wait 'til someone who might have the answer would stumble upon this thread and share their knowledge as well. Like Jeanne said, it is a bit annoying really especially like what happens to me for days now, which hasn't happened ever in the past months, rebaking every so-so seconds, relogging and clearing cache... sigh, all these just won't work. Yeah, they aren't the solution so there better be someone willing to help enlighten us more as to why this is happening now :matte-motes-big-grin: Thank you for sharing your ideas :matte-motes-smitten:

Tristizia Demonista wrote:

This could be a prob with the HTTP Textures. Have you tried to disable them ?

You can do that in the Developer Menu (ctrl+alt+Q)

BINGO!!! We have a winner!

The issue's usually the result of HTTP textures prematurely terminating their download (as in the request gets dropped mid-download) under certain conditions. This does not happen when the textures are sent to you using UDP protocol, and UDP is what you get when you disable HTTP textures in the viewer. I myself have had this same issue before and the fix was most definitely disabling http textures, AND clearing your cache at the same time, then relogging. Using UDP makes all of your textures take a little longer to fully download, but they don't get stuck unfinished like they can with HTTP.

YES! Thank you! This worked fabulously (after some SL flubbery that screwed up two outfits...clearing cache is the bane of my existence lately). I'm actually staying baked! I can see my clothes and they're not all fuzzy! (I've been fuzzy for months now - this is super exciting. I spend tons of $L - I want to actually be able to see my own clothes and skin! The only reason I rebake now is when I change or add a layer.) So thanks to you, and to Tristizia, for posting this. I'm thrilled to be able to see my avi without having to rebake every 2 minutes. I've been watching this thread, but was afraid, after the first few posts, that there was simply nothing to be done about it. Thanks for the effective solution!

I couldn't figure out how to do this on Firestorm, so I logged in with Viewer2 and disabled HTTP textures and it worked! My question, tho, is will it still work when I login with Firestorm, or will I have to figure out how to disable textures on Firestorm too, somehow?

JA

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Same thing, really. Of course, I use the hybrid Firestorm; not sure what setting you're on. For me, it was ctrl+alt+Q, develop menu pops up, click that, look towards the bottom (not all the way down, though), and uncheck HTTP Textures. This might be different for other Firestorm settings.

Ok, thanks Ariel. I pressed Ctrl-Alt-q in my version of Firestorm & nothing happened. I'll keep looking. But in Viewer2 I opened the Develop menu in the top tool bar & unchecked HTTP textures, and no longer had the fuzzieness problem, at least with Viewer2. This may carry over into Firestorm but I don't know yet. Will find out this evening, I guess.

Jeanne

Oh wow! a lot of replies now. Sorry for my late reaction to this, I haven't logged into SL for a few days. Now I just logged in and checking if my avatar will still do the rezz-dance. LOL! so far so good.. it's not getting blurry every 5 seconds... I will definitely try this as soon as I experience the problem again and will tell you guys about it :) Thank you so much for the help Tristizia! Much much appreciated :)

JeanneAnne wrote:

Ok, thanks Ariel. I pressed Ctrl-Alt-q in my version of Firestorm & nothing happened. I'll keep looking. But in Viewer2 I opened the Develop menu in the top tool bar & unchecked HTTP textures, and no longer had the fuzzieness problem, at least with Viewer2. This may carry over into Firestorm but I don't know yet. Will find out this evening, I guess.

Jeanne

You can also enable the Devoloper Menu somewhere in the Advanced Menu (ctrl+alt+D).

Hope this works in Firestorm too :)

Depending on the Skin you use, you might also be able to do all this via Preferences, but i'm not sure, because i don't have Firestorm installed anymore.

Okay, this is what I observed. Unchecking the HTTP textures in Viewer 2 seems to have carried over to Firestorm. My avatar's tattoos and the pattern on her outfit were crisp and in focus all evening. However, what I noticed was that other avatars stayed gray for a loooooooooong time. I hadn't typically had this problem before. Could unchecking HTTP textures cause a delay in me being able to see other avs as anything more than gray outlines for like 15 or 20 minutes? Did fixing one problem create a new one?

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Okay, this is what I observed. Unchecking the HTTP textures in Viewer 2 seems to have carried over to Firestorm. My avatar's tattoos and the pattern on her outfit were crisp and in focus all evening. However, what I noticed was that other avatars stayed gray for a
loooooooooong
time. I hadn't typically had this problem before. Could unchecking HTTP textures cause a delay in me being able to see other avs as anything more than gray outlines for like 15 or 20 minutes? Did fixing one problem create a new one?

Jeanne

Sometimes it helps to just zoom in at other Avi's. Seems to be something about, how textures work or so, not sure. This definatly helps when for example your Shoes don't seem to rez, zoom in and voila! :)

However, what I noticed was that other avatars stayed gray for a
loooooooooong
time. I hadn't typically had this problem before. Could unchecking HTTP textures cause a delay in me being able to see other avs as anything more than gray outlines for like 15 or 20 minutes? Did fixing one problem create a new one?

Jeanne

The choice of using HTTP or UDP textures is not part of your account settings and it doesn't get carried over from one viewer to another. It's specific to each individual program you use to connect to the grid with. What you probably saw is Firestorm "cache sharing" with viewer2 and using some of its previously downloaded textures. They both use the same cache location by default IIRC, and thus the same downloaded textures that are already in it. The gray AVs I'm guessing was Firestorm still trying to use http to get the textures, combined with what sounds like could be primetime and busy sim symptoms, and not doing a very good job at it. You'll need to find and disable http textures in firestorm to make that work in firestorm.

Dana Hickman wrote:

However, what I noticed was that other avatars stayed gray for a
loooooooooong

Jeanne

The choice of using HTTP or UDP textures is
not
part of your account settings and it doesn't get carried over from one viewer to another. It's specific to each individual program you use to connect to the grid with. What you probably saw is Firestorm "cache sharing" with viewer2 and using some of its previously downloaded textures. They both use the same cache location by default IIRC, and thus the same downloaded textures that are already in it. The gray AVs I'm guessing was Firestorm still trying to use http to get the textures, combined with what sounds like could be primetime and busy sim symptoms, and not doing a very good job at it. You'll need to find and disable http textures in firestorm to make that work in firestorm.

Thank you Dana. :) This is very informative. Slowly but surely I'm beginning to see how sl works. I still have a lot to learn.

Jeanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.