What matters most to you in SL Fashion: Quality or Creativity?

Iris Ophelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can you forgive a poorly made design if the idea behind it is outstanding? Will you buy a "boring" piece of clothing if it's very well-made?

I know I'm a lot more forgiving of seams and technical flaws if a designer's done something really unique, but bad enough execution can still sour me on something. :matte-motes-stress:

Quality. I also like simple, classic, casual clothing, so quality is important to me.

Which isn't to say creativity isn't a plus...Boudoir makes some fantastic, high-quality, highly creative clothing - but I don't have anything of theirs because it's not quite my style (although I am someday going to buy this fantastic, but $1200L, water dress...). I'm more a fan of places like Zaara, whose clothing has a definite niche but is generally classic lines with an Indian flair, and very high quality.

That's an interesting point. I actually didn't mean quality or condition as it would translate to RL, but rather the technical quality or quality of execution in the textures and primwork. Well made used/abused clothing styles like you're describing can definitely take so much more work than a tidy/undamaged looking version would.

A bit of both. For staples like tanks, skirts, pants, I want quality because I will want to wear them again and again and after all, who needs ten white tank tops?   For something wildly outrageous and fun, the "it" dress, I might be more forgiving if there's an underarm seam that does not match. Stockings, pants, skirts, the seams have to match. 

Going on 4 yrs in SL, I have to say Quality for me wins everytime.  Although, I love creativity and flair and I think I myself am quite creative...I much rather wear something that was made well and makes me happy wearing it.  It doesnt have to cost 1000L and it can cost 0L ...most designers are so generous and give beautiful samples all the time...I GLADLY wear them.

:matte-motes-inlove:  So many good, quality driven designers are in SL..we do need to support them and applaude them, because without them our avatars would be running around in boxes, not to mention bad clothing.   :smileyhappy: ~Psyche

Quality is hard to argue with, but I do admit I will look over something that isn't made as well if it is creative. I agree with many posts above me however; jeans, tees, shirts etc, things that I would consider "simple" or staples to any avatar's wardrobe would be quality above creativity.

While I love a good quality design in terms of well executed, thought out, designed, and texture work.  I will forgive a bit if it's unique, and the designer has potential.

What I really find I can't forgive is poorly thought out layer work. I might buy an outfit, but if it's missing glitch pants/shirt, or a jacket layer shirt doesnt extend down the layer properly I really will think twice before buying at the store again.  I love to mix and match, so being able to use the bodice of a dress with a different skirt or pant is key.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.