SL factbook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

When ppl talk about what needs to be done to 'fix' SL why is the solution never "bring back the cornfield?"

(mmmm.... corn)

Sadly, the Cornfield never quite worked right. Designed to be a pocket grid in line with the teen grid, there were difficulties at times with bringing people back out of it. Also, rather than deterring people, it caused people to want to be *just bad enough* to end up there, without actually being banned from SL.

You can still see the original corn field on the map, north of Bay City and the Gulf of Lauren (presumably named after the former Lauren Linden). There was also Corn Field 1 - 4, set up for Halloween 2009, and using the original corn field as its basic topology.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

That's why I said "some of the first" Storm since I couldn't remember whether the street-named or the color-named ones came first. The street-named ones are quite old, though.

San Francisco ones came first, with Da Boom being #1 (also, it is misnamed, as the actual street is De Boom).

http://www.slmaps.com/oldmaps.htm

Void Singer wrote:

Goreans and Furries have been on the grid since Beta 

...and child avatars. The first of these was designed by Washu Zebrastripe in late 2002-early 2003, and a copy resides in my inventory. 

Likewise, the first SL birthday event included a "kids day" where people were encouraged to come as child avatars. My have times changed. :-)

Canoro Philipp wrote:

Early users of Second Life debated the idea of what Second Life was going to be, some wanted a medieval setting, some a science fiction one, some an oriental setting, today, we have all of that and more.

Indeed, many of those became part of the Community Proposed projects, some of which survive today. Thee included Americana, in the Blue region (American landmarks and pop culture, long gone), Nexus Prime in Gibson (cyberpunk, has been rebuilt many times), Venice in Bonifacio (Canals of Venice, gone), Shangri-la/Yamato in Dore (Medieval asian city, still there but now an orientation station), and DarkWood in Darkwood (Medieval/fantasy, still somewhat there).

Aside: prior to this there were a couple Linden-themed lands, Boardman (residential), DeHaro ("Camp Linden"), and even the Resident Work Project, Wild West Town, still seen in a damaged form in Oak Grove.

RockAndRoll Michigan wrote:

Somebody briefly touched on Ruth's origins already, but there is one other fact they didn't mention (unless it was in the video, I admit I didn't watch it)

Ruth was a model for Daz 3D that LL had purchased, and used as the first avatar. The model name actually was Ruth, so they just kept the name for the avatar.

I've heard that Linden World was also initially black-and-white only, color wasn't added until later. When color was implemented there still wasn't an option for streaming audio either, it was a very silent grid. I'm not sure when they added that but it was there in June of 2006 when I first signed up.

There was also a school named Teazer University that is no longer present, where a lot of things related to Second Life building, scripting, texturing, creating gestures, using gestures, even how to put on clothing, were taught. I myself took many classes at Teazer U. As I recall it actually had some sort of official backing from Linden Lab themselves, but I could be mistaken on that point.

I also heard that the green voting boxes (you can still find them in SL) were at one time actually used by LL as a measure of a location's importance. People still click them when they are around, but they have been relegated to pretty much a bit of nostalgia of no actual signifigance. Can be somewhat handy for the landowner to see who's interested in their property if used properly, but it doesn't impact search rankings like it once did.

There was also a Ruth Linden in the earliest of days. I have heard rumors of her being either a secretary or an accountant, but nothing specific. If they bought Ruth from Daz, they need to ask for their money back. ;-)

Philip had talked about the design of the Ruth avatar in a private conversation at SLCC in 2009, and how it was based on some averaging tests of beauty. Presumably taking all the examples of beauty standards for women around the world and averaging them out led to Ruth. I'm not convinced. :-)

Anything I've seen of LindenWorld, including still images from a December 2001 prospectus, were in color. I believe that streaming audio likely came in fairly early, given Philip Linden came from Real networks - but I do not know timeline on that!

TeaZers U, later TUi, was awesome. It's where I first learned to build, way back when.

Not only were the voting boxes used for "importance," but in the day some of the dwell payments the lab would *pay you* were based on the number of votes you got. Yes. They *paid* popular places a bonus. This is why camping started.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Also on the subject of money, in 2007 Ginko (an SL bank) crashed & burned taking with it millions of L$ from 1000s of residents. LL did not compensate residents but did eventually ban banks in SL to stop it happening again.

Don't remind me of that little L$30,000 lesson learned... :matte-motes-evil:

Marianne McCann wrote:

Void Singer wrote:

Goreans and Furries have been on the grid since Beta 

...and child avatars. The first of these was designed by Washu Zebrastripe in late 2002-early 2003, and a copy resides in my inventory. 

Likewise, the first SL birthday event included a "kids day" where people were encouraged to come as child avatars. My have times changed. :-)

now that i didn't know... but you reminded me of something else....  Wasn't Washu's Wigs the first commercial Prim Hair store? was it her that created the first prim hair replacement, I'm not sure.... but  do remember shopping at her store when I first came to the grid.

anyone know who did the first skins and when? they were here when I got here, so I'm thinking Beta maybe.

Void Singer wrote:

now that i didn't know... but you reminded me of something else....  Wasn't Washu's Wigs the first commercial Prim Hair store? was it her that created the first prim hair replacement, I'm not sure.... but  do remember shopping at her store when I first came to the grid.

anyone know who did the first skins and when? they were here when I got here, so I'm thinking Beta maybe.

Yup Washu is credited as the first prim hair maker. As to first skins... I'm not sure. I do know the first "furry" skin was created by Fleabite Beach, though.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

/me whispers to Marianne: 255K *groan* I feel your pain.
0006.gif

Great post on the mainland names, I had been wondering what the 3.5 Linden Home continents were called. Are all 4 of them named Nascera?

Also, any idea who the first Neko was & where the new inworld Easter Egg  is?  
147.gif

255k... ouch.

Good question on the first neko. I might point to Fleabite Beach, again, who's skin was feline, but I don't think she claimed to be neko (I could be wrong).

As to if they're all Nascera.... good question, I don't think they gave the "extras" a continent name. The original Nascera, at least, would be the first of them, containing the Elderglen region and now gaining the new premium sandboxes to their southwest.

haha I almost hope Fleabite was the first Neko...Perfect name lol :D

I spotted the sandboxes too yay!!...The original has 10 of them and the others 4 each, except the unfinished one. They should give each block a unique name though, especially as they are identical....Lets have a naming ceremony hehe

Do ya know where the new Easter Egg is?...You can whisper it here, no one will see Froggie.png

Storm Clarence wrote:

Marianne, you are my hero!  Thanks for the great posts.  

I second that motion!

My understanding that the beach ball was the oldest object came from this competition:

http://www.berkenheger.netzliteratur.net/sl/last_days/wordpress/?p=1269

http://www.berkenheger.netzliteratur.net/sl/last_days/wordpress/?p=1694

http://www.berkenheger.netzliteratur.net/sl/last_days/wordpress/?p=1318

Thank you for the correction.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Thank you for the correction.

No worries! I've heard the beach ball come up a few times, and it is a very early, beta item. The Man (in Natoma) also comes up a lot, but the nickel seems to trump them all.  I do know of some texture UUIDs are are older (but not by much), but there's nothing I've seen of tangible objects that are older.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Marianne, you are my hero!  Thanks for the great posts.  

My pleasure!

Another little addition.

While Nova Albion is the oldest of the "City" style regions (areas that Residents get double-primmed land, typically with a "city" related theme and name. Examples include Nova Albion, Bay City, Nautilus City, and Kama City), there were attempts to create urban areas that predate it. First was LindenWorld itself, which included a downtown. The only known survivor of LindenWorld's city is The Man, in Natoma, who once sat in a park there.

Here's a couple shots from early Beta resident bUTTONpUSHER Jones, that show some of this area

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buttonpusher/42921714

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buttonpusher/42921711

Later came two other examples, the "Americana" build in Blue, which included a erstaz downtown consisting of an A&W Root Beer knock off, a gas station, etc., and Lindenberg spearheaded by Wednesday Grimm and formerly in Tehama. The former was a victim of the famed Tax Revolt led by (this name comes up a lot, doesn't it) Fleabite Beach, as well as the overall cost of the land. Don't know what led to the end of Lindenberg, but I'd not be surprised if it failed under similar circumstances.

Here's a shot of the gas station as it burned down during the tax revolt, as seen in Joan's marina in Kissling.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eIVbYXV-0Qc/TLUfTJTMrlI/AAAAAAAAIlM/Htr6pbmBoUU/s400/Tax+Revolt.jpg

You'll find a small inworld display and memorial to Americana in the Northwest corner of Lusk (itself home to a very early Linden "planned community" - and not the one you're thinking of!), and another smaller one in Blue itself. You can find the occasional relic from Lindenberg (I've things like the streetlights, road, fences, and so on in my collection) and a couple picture of it in the basement of the Governor's mansion in Clementina. This is one of them.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eIVbYXV-0Qc/S50CtDrrZuI/AAAAAAAAEu0/n-ZKqf-F2Mo/s1600/LindenbergTehamaFeb03_3.jpg

BTW, thanks to fellow SL historian Lalo Telling for posting some of the images above to his excellent SL history blog at http://lalotelling.blogspot.com/search/label/SL%20History

Peewee Musytari wrote:

haha I almost hope Fleabite was the first Neko...Perfect name lol
:D

well, here's an old shot of Ms Fleabite, from way-back-when. She has called herself furry, but definitely different from what one typically considers a "Second Life Furry" (as typified by Michi Lumin's Luskwood varieties)

http://secondlife.blogs.com/photos/nwn/fleabite_beach_and_devlin_gallant.jpg

See Canoro Philipp's post above for the first neko. Now that you mention it, there was an article some time ago about Chibi Chang, at http://virtualneko.com/second-life-first-neko/ . 

Yes!!!.....thats the one I was thinking about. Chibi started a thread here not long ago & Torley posted about Chibi teaching him about Neko, so it got me wondering if he had been the 1st Neko in SL. Great article, thanks for finding that :)

Here is his thread: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Make-Friends/Extreme-oldbie-seeks-new-friends/m-p/867463#M3015

I am filled with melancholy as I read this thread. I was one of the first million residents, arriving in October 2006, when Second Life was in its prime. I had the amazing good fortune to experience SL for six months before management pulled the plug on SL's magic. Yes, it is true that times were tough back then. The technology was very unstable and the land scammers were outrageously brazen (although there was a certain honesty to their brutality, unlike modern phishers). Linden Lab still had some control over accounts and it was truly "Your World. Your Imagination."

During the great wave of immigration, Linden Lab starved SL of new land, driving prices into the stratosphere. Jack Linden was sound asleep, dreaming of, well, no one knows what he was dreaming of, but when he eventually rolled out of bed and added a handful of new sims, there was an feeding frenzy. Bog standard sims that would be ignored today were going at auction for US$3,000-5,000. Inworld, L$500,000 for the front half of a standard waterfront sim was considered a bargain. LL's response was to flood the market - twice - essentially bankrupting the 2006-2007 immigration wave. Thousands left SL in disgust long before LL really got nasty in 2008-2009. Sigh, those were very painful years - kinda like watching a drunken stepfather smash up the house on Christmas Day.

For those who are interested, here is a retail mainland pricelist for Spring 2007:

• 40/40 clean waterfront: L$40 per m2
  • 40/40 clean inland: L$20 per m2
  • 40/40 broken inland: L15 per m2
  • standard coral/sand clean waterfront: L$25 per m2
  • standard tropics clean waterfront: L20 per m2
  • standard clean waterfront: L$15 per m2
  • standard flat-green/mountain: L$10 per m2

The Europeans were the first to suffer. By the Fall of 2007 (yes, literally, the fall of 2007), they were out of SL. Maybe they were the lucky ones, because things got much worst in 2008-2009, culminating in the Openspace mispricing debacle and the forced march to Zindra. SL has been stagnant ever since.

Yet, in spite of Linden Lab, Second Life has retained pockets of the old magic. The club scene remains vibrant (and for those in the know, the original floor is back at SR, hooray!) Live music is thriving. The redesigned SL fora has become useful and interesting (whereas the old fora had collapsed into chaos by this time last year). So, like the embers of a dying fire, there is still a glow in Second Life. Perhaps someone sober will cut away the dead wood and bring it back to life.

Deltango Vale wrote:

I am filled with melancholy as I read this thread. I was one of the first million residents, arriving in October 2006, when Second Life was in its prime. 

it's funny - and I am in no way attempting to legitimize your experience, mind you - but when i think of October 2006, I shudder. The times when "update Wednesday" would stretch into Thursday, when the grid would be down several times over the weekend for "grey goo" attacks, when 12,000 people on the grid meant the Second Life Grid would crash, and when everyone s running around wearing "Missing image" all over their clothing, eyes, and hair for no good reason. Indeed, I tend to look back at October-December of 2006 as particularly lousy times.

I'm sure that others, older than I, could point at the "invisible avatar" issue that was rampant when I started, and call February 2006 a bad time too. ;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.