Question: Does your Sig point to your SURL or Marketplace?

Chelsea Malibu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was curious to see where peoples Sig Banners point and why.  Do you use your in-world store SURL or your Marketplace store or perhaps another website?

I use my inworld store since my average ticket is much higher at my store than in the MP but I would also think MP would yeild more direct traffic.

Not that my banner gets many clicks anyways but I was just curious to see everyones thoughts.

Why choose? It's not too difficult to make a banner that points e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e :matte-motes-big-grin:

I considered this a little while ago, seeing as a good amount of people would only want to go inworld, others may want to go to marketplace... & still others might prefer looking at social media... or....

Not that a good sig banner is going to be contingent to anyone's success I think, but it is nice to put your best foot forward here & it is a great little space to practice good web design.

Over at SLU, Cristiano strongly recommends advertisers link their ads to the Marketplace rather than to SLURL on the grounds that 

SLU's largest traffic is during business hours in the US (which says something about work ethic in the US, I suppose). Many people who click on your ad cannot sign in to SL, thus they are unable to see anything about your products. That is a potentially lost sale or visit to your store or business.

Better alternatives are to link to a blog/website or your SL marketplace store. Hell, even linking to your posts in the New Product Listings forum is better than a SLURL. I would like the advertisers here to get the most out of their advertising, which is why I always advise against SLURLs.

I don't know, obviously, but I suspect browsing habits are similar with these forums.

Although I plan to do up a little banner eventually, and even work on changing my badge, it's really a low priority. I don't expect to get any real traffic from the forums. I enjoy the discussions, and you're all wonderful people, but when you get right down to it, you're all my competitors (or peers depending on how you look at it:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:). So I really don't see the forums as a good place to focus on drumming up business.

Good points and all make a lot of sense.  I do notice my sales are a lot stroner in world during the day too or late at night but when I look at who bought, those seem to be mostly from the EU where my US sales seem to be the strongest on the weekends.

I guess we Americans work too long of hours during the week and can't shop until the weekends.  :matte-motes-wink:

I find the banners offensive.  and I'm hard core promoter.

the larger the banner the more desperate you appear. 

the flashing banners give headaches, and serious ones.

I know you can turn them off, but I look to see just who wants to shove them down my throat and avoid their shop.

It also looks some people answer a question or comment on each and every page, just to get their banner flashed.  those folks lost a potential customer because of that.

the pet shop one above is way too big.  lost a customer on that one.  it's intrusive.

I realize your intent is to try and help people create better sig lines, so I'll offer to extend that initiative to something that personally bugs me.

Sig lines that have the URL spelled out but not linked. Too much trouble to copy and paste it into a new browser window. Lost a customer there.

I actually do not know how to do that, and asked one time, but no one offered to help.

Most people in this forum hate my guts because I speak frankly, so I don't see potential customers here, and that's not why I'm here...here to get customer service and answers mostly...

...and in this thread because I think that one should know that some consider the banners obnoxious.  not the first person to say that.

and the fact they are openly discussing their intent....pretty much tells why they are in forum today.

Ahh well .. education time.

To create a link requires a tiny bit of HTML magic. It's a lot like putting quotes around something, except the quotes aren't single characters, they are special strings of text called "Tags". So for example, lets say you wanted to have the text "Pics Here" link to your WordPress blog site. So we start with the text that will be the clickable link:

Pics Here

Now we put special HTML Tags around it. The opening Tag not only shows that this is a hyperlink, bit it also contains the URL of where it will link to. (They're called "Anchor" tags, but I only mention that as a mnemonic to help you remember how to make one.) All HTML tags start with the angle bracket "<" and end with the closing angle bracket ">"

The opening tag looks like this:

<a href="URL goes here">

The closing tag looks like this:

</a>

Note that both the opening and closing tags are of type "a" (for anchor) and the opening includes a bit of extra info that tells where the link will go.

Now piece it all together and it looks like this:

<a href="http://mickeyv.wordpress.com/">Pics Here</a>

The above text goes right into your Sig Line and with some extra editing (to take out the text you have there now) will give you a clickable hyperlink directly to your blog.

Thanks for the feedback, Mickey, I can appreciate an honest critic.

I do use banners in business outside SL also, not just on forum sig (this one is just for fun :matte-motes-asleep-2: cause I like design).

I am curious, what would you consider the optimal banner size to be tasteful yet effective?

I agree (maybe surprisingly) that a large banner may seem over the top. I am thinking of tiny mobile screens.

Ad copy must be readable without zooming in.

If you use seperate buttons, remember a thumb is pretty big & clumsy!

To somebody on mobile device, they might be highly irritated by small banners :matte-motes-big-grin-squint: can't win 'em all right?

WADE1 Jya wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Mickey, I can appreciate an honest critic.

I do use banners in business outside SL also, not just on forum sig (this one is just for fun :matte-motes-asleep-2: cause I like design).

I am curious, what would you consider the optimal banner size to be tasteful yet effective?

I agree (maybe surprisingly) that a large banner may seem over the top. I am thinking of tiny mobile screens.

Ad copy must be readable without zooming in.

If you use seperate buttons, remember a thumb is pretty big & clumsy!

To somebody on mobile device, they might be highly irritated by small banners :matte-motes-big-grin-squint: can't win 'em all right?

You point out a funny thing...especially with SL. Sometimes the ads, especially the silly video ones that pop into ones mind, are sort of fun in of themselves....not really for some master plan to brainwash people and take over enough marketshare to almost force them to buy your stuff.

Do you know what kind of our of world traffic some of us get for blogs, websites ect? It is like 2 people a month! Even if you advertise it, it takes away from getting people to you store if they get lost at youtubulartwitterfacespacelurk or whatever lol. You might get them all lost as they remember to log in and chat to thier long lost freinds and so on!!! It might just be a bad thing!!! But, stats are difficult to attain reasons fro without asking....and who wants to be asked so many questions at the store!

I generally don't like banner ads because they usually don't have a pleasing visual aesthetic. It seems very few people that make them have any knowledge of graphic design: too much text, bad font choices and gaudy imagery. Don't get me started on the animated ones. So, I usually wish that banner ads didn't exist on forums. That being said, I actually do like your banner Wade. It gives me the itch to click the buttons. So, I suppose with anything, some people will like it, and some won't.

As for the OP, if I did have a banner, I'd have it point to the marketplace. As someone already pointed out, it is more likely that the person will be able to load a web page than they will be able to log into SL. I know that I usually shop when I'm not on SL. I very rarely shop inworld. Therefore, if I click a SLURL from a banner, that is just a lost sale since I'm looking to surf and buy online.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.