Muted

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is plenty of information for muting people and the effects of it, but i find nothing in the database on the effects of the person muted.

Specifically.... Can a muted avatar see local chat from the person that muted them?

Can a muted avvatar recieve notecards or other items from them?

can a muted avatar receive TP requests from the person that muted them?

Finally and most importantly, does anyone know WHY a person muted should not have a way of knowing thay have been muted?

Thanks

Specifically.... Can a muted avatar see local chat from the person that muted them?

Yes.  You "hear" them.  They don't hear you

Yes. But in doing so, you become unmuted to them.

Yes.  Interestingly enough I expected this to also unmute the person but in testing with an alt, the TP message did not cause the person to become unmuted the way an IM or sending a notecard or object did.

Finally and most importantly, does anyone know WHY a person muted should not have a way of knowing thay have been muted?

What would you do if you knew?  Can't talk to them and ask them to unmute you because they can't hear you.

And yes you can still see that person online if they have just muted you.  Of course they have the option to not show you their online status but that's not specifically related to them muting you.

--Cinn

A sometimes problematic side effect of muting is that you also mute all messages and inventory offers from prim objects owned by the muted person. This means that if the muted person happens to be a merchant, you won't receive your purchases if you happen to buy from this person's inworld vendors.

At least it used to be like that in the past, during a time when some bug caused random people to appear on your mute list. It was quite difficult to help customers who didn't realize they had muted me and complained about delivery failures, seeing that they couldn't see my IM replies or inventory offers. The only workaround was to contact them with an alt and ask them to unmute me.

Which highlights another problem that makes muting quite pointless: Thanks to Linden Lab's open door policy that allows people to create endless armies of alts, those who are dead set on harrassing you can always come back and pester you with a new account.

you don't see anything about the effects on the muted person, because there are none.

ETA:
I know of no such bug as people "randomly" appearing on ones mute list, although there is a problem in that the ignore dialog option on offered inventory mutes the owner (for a while even if YOU were the owner, making it possible to mute yourself)

always use accept and decline, and not the big ignore option.

Void Singer wrote:

although there is a problem in that the ignore dialog option on offered inventory mutes the owner (for a while even if YOU were the owner, making it possible to mute yourself)

I frequently use ignore on items sent to me if they weren't something I askd for - as a way to deal with spammers. If I'm in the mood or have the time, I follow it up an AR if it was spam.

Thanks for all the replies.... they were actually really helpful and i managed to find a way of getting in contact with the person who muted me and she ended up laughing. unmuting and friending again.....

Obviously not advised for someone who had good reason to mute you, but if a GF does it in a fit of anger for instance.....

Try sending her money.... I sent 5L every 10 minutes and eventually it got to her hehe

if there is no decline option, it's not an inventory offer (the "ignore" on those is a big button), script permission dialogs are different... (ignore on those is a smaller button, or was in the old interface, and not positioned in the normal button field, but below and to the right)

they fixed it so you can't mute yourself, but when you could, you would not see your text in public chat, and you scripted items could not be heard.

you could still unmute yourself the same way you do for anyone, by opening up the mute list highlighting your name and clicking remove.... I don't remember how to get into the mute list, so I always right click on something and mute it which opens the list (then unmute it and whatever else I need to)

Void Singer wrote:

I know of no such bug as people "randomly" appearing on ones mute list, although there is a problem in that the ignore dialog option on offered inventory mutes the owner (for a while even if YOU were the owner, making it possible to mute yourself)

That was quite common for a while back in 2008. For some reason, my name was on several people's mute list, who later assured me that they had no idea how this happened. It could be that all of them hit the Ignore button when they tried to buy something from me, but it's strange that this used to happen a lot back then and nobody seems to have this problem anymore nowadays.

I remember it being a big problem back in 2008, too.    I don't think it's that people hit the ignore button when they tried to buy something from you; more likely they hit it  when they wanted to ignore the offer of a LM or notecard from your greeter on entering the shop, thinking that was much the same as declining the offer, without realising the implications of what they were doing, and then, rather later, wondered why your vendors weren't giving them anything.

As to why it's no longer a problem, certainly automatically unmuting people you've muted, by accident or design, when you IM them didn't happen until some time in 2008 at the earliest.   And I'm wondering if paying the person you've muted has the same effect.   

Back then, I was a helper in Dari Caldwell's shop, and I do remember we had no end of problems with people who'd muted her by accident because they didn't want a Landmark, and then couldn't get the vendors to give them anything.   And for a while, their sending Dari IMs to ask why their purchases hadn''t arrived didn't unmute her.   I remember how relieved everyone was when that changed.

Maybe it's still happening as much (though I think people are less likely to be confused by "Block" than "Ignore") but you're not noticing it as much because people are automatically unmuting you when they IM you about a failed delivery.

ETA:  I've just found an old notecard in my inventory about this, dating from 2008 -- in part it says, 

"Without a doubt, the BIGGEST cause of this problem came from a change to the SL Client sometime in Fall 2007. At that point, a "Mute" button was added to all "give inventory" notices. This happened at the same time that "auto-pop" for notecards was disabled, and texture gives were throttled. The fact that this change was part of a knee-jerk response to a new greifing weapon, helps explain the problem. They didn't consider the social consequences of a Mute button.
-----
Inventory offers now came with the triad of buttons: "Accept, Decline, Mute". If you teleported into an area, and were autogiven the rules to a sim, you could now accept the note, decline it, or hit "mute" and the giver would never bother you again.
Unfortunately, looking a bit deeper into this.. it turned out that pressing THAT mute button, didn't mute the OBJECT giving the notecard.. it muted the OWNER of that object. Suddenly, because I "muted" the inventory offer of a rules notecard, I had muted the owner of the store or RP sim in question. 
This situation is made worse, by the fact that the "Mute" button in other languages, says "Ignore"... Accept, Decline, Ignore. "

Which would explain why you particularly noticed the problem back in 2008, when it was driving Dari nuts, too.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

I remember it being a big problem back in 2008, too.    I don't think it's that people hit the ignore button when they tried to buy something from you; more likely they hit it  when they wanted to ignore the offer of a LM or notecard from your greeter on entering the shop, thinking that was much the same as declining the offer, without realising the implications of what they were doing, and then, rather later, wondered why your vendors weren't giving them anything.

That makes sense. Back in '08, I used a greeter with a disclaimer in my store. Something like "I confirm that I'm 18 or older and that viewing extreme adult content is legal in my country". My main concern was the "extreme adult content" bit, because I hoped it would discourage the easily offended and AR-happy crowd from entering my shop. I deleted that thing when I realized how much lag a sensor can cause.

PS: It would be nice if SL supported a disclaimer dialog with two buttons only, namely "Yes, I agree" and "OMG no, please take me to a random G-rated infohub". Disclaimers are pointless if people can just ignore or mute them.

JammyBob Flux wrote:

There is plenty of information for muting people and the effects of it, but i find nothing in the database on the effects of the person muted.

Thanks

If someone annoys you to the point that you wish to mute them, it really just says that you do not wish to hear from that person at all in any way shape of form. You don`t need to tell them you have muted them, because if they annoy you that much, why would you even care whether they know or not? It doesn`t affect the muted person at all, they can carry on being annoying (which keeps them happy) and you can carry on not hearing it (which makes you happy)...win win :)

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

/me whispers:  pssst... Peewee - it was the GF that did the muting so try to be a little understanding.

I was speaking in general not specifically about  the OP`s case lol...Muting by accident would be an exception too, I had a friend that was forever accidentally muting people & then wondering why they never answered him, while they would be banging their head on the desk trying to tell him to unblock them ...I have even asked a complete stranger that was passing by to tell him to unblock me before lol :D

• 11 months later...

BrainyBabe wrote:

I was curious, if someone mutes you - can you see their avatar name display? Or is there a way for your avatar label not be visible to all in public?

If someone mutes you you can see them just as if you were not muted. To them you are a grey silhouette. You cannot hide your name tag from others, but you can choose not to see others name tags.

Hmm, well i saw someone in an infohub who's display name was not visible (but everyone else's was). I have my settings where i can see the avatar name labels. We recently had a falling out - so just wondered if that was an indication I was muted. tks

Well, I tested it out and if you are muted you can still see their nametag.

I don't now why a nametag would not be visible. 

Some possibilities may be that their avatar was not precisely where they were visible, like sometimes animations will move you around, like a dance or some kind of movement that makes you wander around, and the name tag will hover over where your avatar is 'standing'.

The only other thing I could think of was if that person you saw was really just a prim person. Did they move or anything?

Okay, good to know. Hmm i have heard of people that have huds etc that possibly may block this info. Yes, it is a real avatar.  It's cool - at least it's not an indication of being muted. Since we had a falling out, i'm not going to try to IM him to ask, lol.

Thanks for all your help. :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.