Muted

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think Charolotte is correct,  BrainyBabe.   There's certainly no way a hud can stop the sim sending information to everyone else in range about who avatars are, and there's equally no way a hud I am wearing can stop your viewer seeing my nametag (unless you're using RLV and I'm making it obfuscate my name tag, but even then you'll see "A Stranger" or something instead of my regular name).

However, what a hud can do is play an animation that offsets my apparent position from where I am actually standing.  If you look at people dancing in clubs, you'll see that, even though they may seem to be moving around a lot, their name tags stay static.   

So if' I'm using an animation in my AO that makes me seem to stand 2 or 3 metres away from where I'm actually standing, chances are you won't see my name tag unless you happen to be looking in the right place (particularly if I'm actually positioned behind something).   

BrainyBabe wrote:

Hmm, well i saw someone in an infohub who's display name was not visible (but everyone else's was). I have my settings where i can see the avatar name labels. We recently had a falling out - so just wondered if that was an indication I was muted. tks

can get draw lag sometimes and some of the nametags not get painted on your screen. can happen quite a lot when is heaps avatars in your view

if turn away your view and then wait a minute then turn back then usual fixes the draw glitch

Stand in front of a wall and trigger an animation that will make you walk forward (max .10m) then stand and loop. Then you are on one side of the wall and the name tag on the other side - that will be hard to find. :)

Muting the owner of the vendors will effectively take out the shop for you - you can't buy there anymore. Can be good or bad - depends. :)

BrainyBabe wrote:

Hmm, well i saw someone in an infohub who's display name was not visible (but everyone else's was). I have my settings where i can see the avatar name labels. We recently had a falling out - so just wondered if that was an indication I was muted. tks

Display Name or User Name?

Personally, I have never used a 'display name' so you would never see me with one.  Similarly, if I set my 'group tag' to 'none,' I won't have a group listed above my head.  Could this person simply have removed their Display name?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Personally, I have never used a 'display name' so you would never see me with one.  Similarly, if I set my 'group tag' to 'none,' I won't have a group listed above my head.  Could this person simply have removed their Display name?

If you haven't got a display name set, it defaults to your legacy name/account name (e.g. "Innula Zenovka" or "BrainyBabe"), so I don't see how that could be it..   Since you, like me, have never used a display name, the OP would see you as "Perrie Juran".

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

If you haven't got a display name set, it defaults to your legacy name/account name (e.g. "Innula Zenovka" or "BrainyBabe"), so I don't see how that could be it..   Since you, like me, have never used a display name, the OP would see you as "Perrie Juran".

So you will see my name displayed twice?  I've never really payed attention to it and I have display name turned off in my browser.  And any time I go to a busy club I turn off names completely any way.  I hate watching a wall of text dancing on my screen.

I'll have to check it out next time I go searching for my lost spaceship.

A point of historical interest. Brainybabe's post which shouldn't really be considered necro-posting since it was entirely on topic and was a related question, was posted within hours of being exactly one year after the previous post.

Not only that, but the previous post was by Peewee, who was mentioned by Val in the 'Missing' forum today.

Kind of a cool coincidence, I think. :-).

Perrie Juran wrote:

So you will see my name displayed twice?  I've never really payed attention to it and I have display name turned off in my browser.  And any time I go to a busy club I turn off names completely any way.  I hate watching a wall of text dancing on my screen.

No, if you have never used a display name, your name will appear as Perrie Juran.

If you have a display name, it will have the display name above your name, perrie.juran

Dillon Levenque wrote:

A point of historical interest. Brainybabe's 
 which shouldn't really be considered necro-posting since it was entirely on topic and was a related question, was posted within hours of being
exactly one year
after the previous post.

Not only that, but the previous post was by Peewee, who was mentioned by Val in the 'Missing' forum today.

Kind of a cool coincidence, I think. :-).

If you add all the letters in your name, the result is 7.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

If you add all the letters in your name, the result is 7.

Thank you for not adding " your apparent mental age." I didn't say it signified anything, I just thought it was cool. Wisea**:smileytongue:

That's the second time today I've been called a variation of that... only a hundred more to go :matte-motes-asleep-2: 

Perrie Juran wrote:

It depends on how I've got my viewer set.   Because I'm set just to see display names, I will see you as Perrie Juran.

If I'm set to see display names and usernames, I'll see

Perrie Juran

(perrie.juran)

or at least as far as I remember I do.  

But most people have their viewers set to show the Display Name plus the username if different, or at least that seems to be the default, I think, in most viewers, so most people will simply see you as Perrie Juran anyway, if you don't use a display name.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

BrainyBabe wrote:

I was curious, if someone mutes you - can you see their avatar name display? Or is there a way for your avatar label not be visible to all in public?

If someone mutes you you can see them just as if you were not muted. To them you are a grey silhouette. You cannot hide your name tag from others, but you can choose not to see others name tags.

In the current viewer if you mute someone, they dissapear completely. If you have names set to show, those will still show, but the avatar itself is gone. No more gray.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

No, if you have never used a display name, your name will appear as Perrie Juran.

If you have a display name, it will have the display name above your name, perrie.juran

thank you

that was how i thought it worked

i have thought of using my martian name but it would be hard for most humans to pronounce and also would probably violate the TOS.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

In the current viewer if you mute someone, they dissapear completely. If you have names set to show, those will still show, but the avatar itself is gone. No more gray.

I'm not sure I like the sound of that.    I can quite easily imagine circumstances in which I'd felt it necessary to mute someone but would still like it immediately obvious if I ran into him or her in public, since when I mute people it's usually because I want to avoid all contact with them.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'm not sure I like the sound of that.    I can quite easily imagine circumstances in which I'd felt it necessary to mute someone but would still like it immediately obvious if I ran into him or her in public, since when I mute people it's usually because I want to avoid all contact with them.

The radar and a floating name tag can suffice.

This is how I discovered this actually. I muted someone and moments later went to a 'live music in SL' event and the minimap green dots outnumbered the number of people there by one. So I looked closer and saw a floating name - the person I'd muted. Who also showed on People - Nearby.

Took a shot in the feed with my camera looking right through them though, as if they weren't there. So was nice to have no gray person cluttering up my screen. After knowing they were there, I just continued on as if they weren't.

(That of course requires not launching into a platform against the person. When I mute it is so I don't have to hear from them anymore. So the last thing I would do is go near them and start making a scene. And as long as they behave likewise... no one needs to be the wiser.)

Yes, but it's the "as long as they behave likewise" bit that bothers me.   It's not a big deal, I suppose, but a few times in the past I've been with friends and run into someone one of us has muted who hasn't "behaved likewise," and it's been a bit embarassing for those people who didn't have them muted.    So, all in all, I'd feel a bit more comfortable being sure I spotted someone I'd muted, in case it was someone I particularly wanted to avoid, but it's not really that important, I suppose.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

i have thought of using my martian name but it would be hard for most humans to pronounce and also would probably violate the TOS.

Oh, well if that's how it is, I think half the grid are using their Martian names
:P

Just a bunch of wanna-be's.  And if some of them knew what their names translated to....well, they should be afraid, very afraid.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

The radar and a floating name tag can suffice.

This is how I discovered this actually. I muted someone and moments later went to a 'live music in SL' event and the minimap green dots outnumbered the number of people there by one. So I looked closer and saw a floating name - the person I'd muted. Who also showed on People - Nearby.

Took a shot in the feed with my camera looking right through them though, as if they weren't there. So was nice to have no gray person cluttering up my screen. After knowing they were there, I just continued on as if they weren't.

(That of course requires not launching into a platform against the person. When I mute it is so I don't have to hear from them anymore. So the last thing I would do is go near them and start making a scene. And as long as they behave likewise... no one needs to be the wiser.)

You did me a favor, sweety.

...Dres

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yes, but it's the "as long as they behave likewise" bit that bothers me.   It's not a big deal, I suppose, but a few times in the past I've been with friends and run into someone one of us has muted who hasn't "behaved likewise," and it's been a bit embarassing for those people who didn't have them muted.    So, all in all, I'd feel a bit more comfortable being sure I spotted someone I'd muted, in case it was someone I particularly wanted to avoid, but it's not really that important, I suppose.

Luckily, she won't have that problem with me, because, when I'm inworld, I try to avoid her like the plague.  Here, it's not so easy.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4306 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.