Give me some space!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure someone must have pointed this out by now, but it bears repeating,

You can use spaces. That is what display names are for. Your username is not meant to be displayed as a name, it is the name of your account not your avatar.

The problem is not that usernames aren't display names, it's that Linden Lab does not properly explain display names to new users. (Or old users, for that matter.) It also doesn't help that LL sets usernames as appearing in nametags by default. I don't need to see two names floating over an avatar's head and I get enough access to usernames that I can double check someone's username at a glance if necessary. (I don't even need to click anything, just slide my mouse cursor over their avatar and there it is!)

I totally diasagree about having a space for a person's user name. As has been said already it would be confussing and could allow someone to use a name already in use. Imagine walking into a store and seeing someone with the same name as the store owner giving away tons of copybotted items aways for free. That could damage and cause harm to that store owner and would be a lose of income. We did voice our concerns prior to the current system and LL listened to us.

Now if they were able to have it to where those of us with legacy names would be protected and have our names blacklisted from being used then I would be ok with it. It will still not stop noobs from using stupid names and you will still see names with numbers in them. I would love for LL to bring back the old naming system seeing how that actually worked very well.If the first time you didn't se a last name you liked, you could always refresh and see other last names until you found the one you liked the most.

I was going with a different last name until I found this one and then changed the first name and refreshed until the last name came backup.

As for scripts, it all depends on teh script writer and if they are still active in SL. I use the Club Tool hud and it can actually pick out a disply name and use it for greetings instead of a persons user name. So until things are updated, there is nothing that can be done about payment systems.

Chronometria wrote:

The issues of nonsense names with numbers and so on is a serious one, made worse by many names being taken and locked off in the early days. Names rated highest on a search and lost of people tool them and made the avatars in to advertising tools. Many people just made characters to reserve names and once taken, those names are permanently gone.

Yeah.

If you don't want a name anymore, and delete it - it -SHOULD- go back into the pool. As for tracking objects made by that person, they've got a UUID... use that.

But especially if the database has no entries for that person - wipe the name and put it back into the system.

But seriously... everyone with a single word username ought to have a popup come up on their screen next time they log in, web or inworld, asking them to pick from the following list of names, followed with a pulldown menu with a random set of a few hundred of them that are not already taken by that first name.

- Some of you would complain about system resources... but searches like this are what computers do best, and with any modern database all of that data can be pulled out and returned in miliseconds. And a deduping exclusion test is trivial.

Its not like you have to send the old lady who works down in processing over across the hall to the storage room to flip through all the files from before 1985... Its a computer database... we're all just entries in some mySQL table somewhere (if not something better I'd hope)... and those are pretty quick things.

Heck, put up two pulldowns. One with 5 'recommended' entries, one with 500. Let people see the recommended, and click to get the expanded.

031108132259Falling_Sky.jpg

But good gosh... get rid of 'Resident'... its killing the grid.

MoiselleErin Teardrop wrote:

I wonder just how many SL'ers come in and use the name "Babygirl" followed by numbers?

Or how many people have the name "Boo"

574 entries in People search of people who are so special and unique that they're just like all the other special and unique people out there.

1129 for Boo.

109 for Pussycat. I got my special snowflake at Walmart it seems. ;)

I keep swearing to myself that I'll quit feeling whiny about this, but it hasn't happened yet. 

"Your username is not meant to be displayed as a name, it is the name of your account not your avatar."

This is exactly how I understood it when I signed up with some random first name that I didn't even bother to capitaliize. I rarely capitalize names that aren't going to be seen by others and are only used for signing in:

I also didn't understand that I wouldn't have a last name.  All the information I'd read (and I read a lot before finally signing up) stated that I would be choosing a last name.  I wouldn't have imagined that the information I'd read was outdated, as I read it in so many places.  I didn't quite understand how choosing a last name mattered since my username wasn't going to be seen by anyone, but I realized that I wasn't going to have it all figured out until I actually went through the process.  

So I created my display name, also having no idea that there were people who wouldn't see it.  I'm okay with people calling me leyna, but have never felt it suited me.

Get over it already leyna. 

I'm glad I had the forethought to snag a couple of the "babygirl with numbers" names before the numbers got too out of hand.  I'm kidding. 

i noticed something today when i was on firestorm..

that i could not see a name on anyone..only the viewer type..i was like what the heck is going on? lol

then i switched on display names and could see names and viewer type..

i switched off display names and went to user names and still just saw a viewer they were using..

could this be in their latest update that  we have the option to not show user names and show display names or no name?

i mean i scrolled over them and didn't see anything either..

not until you check their profile or put back on display names..

this was Firestorm ..so i don't know what is going on in LL's latest..

and i didn't really notice it until today when i went to certain sims..so i am wondering if servers are updating to this way also?

Canoro Philipp wrote:

i agree.

the user should be in control of his/her information.

the user should have the right to hide its username if s/he desire and be known as s/he wish to be known.

That's basically taking a position to advocate enabling residents to grief with anonymity, which is exactly why users should not be and are not in control of hiding their unique identifier for their account from other residents.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.