Give me some space!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This post is about singlenames (Single Names). Would it be too hard to add a space to the possible characters that are used when creating a new account? Just think of the creative possibilities people could come up with when creating a new accounts. My user name is LiveReport but I have changed my display name to Live Report with a space and I have seen many other users doing the same thing. The noobs are always asking about last names wouldn't it be great if we could create our own by allowing us to use a space? What do you think? 

Well..Since you've asked.  I've been against the single name system since it's inception.  The original naming system worked fine and moreover, was a great way to tell how long someone had been here since the last names cycled and where only used for a brief time before they where no longer available.  (I think it was something like 750 last names before they expired that name). 

The single name system is confusing, hard to see who is who and is more difficult to remember.  And, as predicted, is spawning a ton of bizzare AOL type names..."JonBOOn39993x" kind of crap.

the only thing is older residents grandfathered in before the change to names have that style of name and it may become confusing if someone chose a display name that could be mistaken for a user name..

i think thats why they went with the dot and lowercase..

actually if there was a user name called Live report then you would be running aorund with someone elses user name..

if that person were a well known merchant there could be..thats just an example..but a lot of these things were brought up by residents beforehand..

griefing could also come into play with people using what looked like a real user name and someone thinking someone was griefing when it was someone using their name as a display name..

there had to be a way to separate existing user names and display names..

The issues of nonsense names with numbers and so on is a serious one, made worse by many names being taken and locked off in the early days. Names rated highest on a search and lost of people tool them and made the avatars in to advertising tools. Many people just made characters to reserve names and once taken, those names are permanently gone.

So, that leaves a steadily more limited pool of names to create from, to the point where nonsense names are the only way to go.

As to the surname issue, it really sucks. Especially as new users have to use several names, including resident. When i pay rent, i pay it as "chronometria resident" and i show up like that on club competition boards and on numerous automated things or responses. Display names can be worthless if nobody can see them.

Searches can be a mess too due to this nonsense of a system.

LiveReport wrote:

I have heard that when the older viewers are phased out the "resident" part will go away. I believe it is just a placeholder for the old viewers. :smileysurprised:

This is essentially correct. You don't see the surname "resident" anywhere in a V2 compatible viewer's interface. You just see their single username and their display name (if you have it set to show display names). The "resident" surname is just a cludge really to cater for older V1 based viewers. V1 based viewers are slowly but surely dissapearing now that TPVs are forging ahead with their V2 based viewers. Their ultimate demise will probably be accelerated come August when Mesh is due to arrive (V1 viewers won't display mesh objects).

I know it's still a bone of contention with some but, honestly, if you want to continue to have SL work properly for you, it's time to get used to a V2 based viewer.

The "resident" surname does still have some relevant to keep older, legacy scripts working, but you'll only really see it if you are using those old, legacy scripts. This will be what Chronometria is experiencing with things like payment terminals and contest boards. Most good scripters have been updating their scripts to handle single names and display names. Unfortunately, there will likely be a few old scripts around for some time that don't get updated.

Yes Sulla I have seen a lot of people complaining about usernames and about the Viewer 2 interface but the new viewers do have some awesome features. I am not asking to go back to Viewer 1 or anything I just want to know if we can just add a space as an option. So we can use numbers, letters and spaces to improve creativity. 

I absolutly agree and can be easely implemented!

before single names we were forced to have a last name, i didnt want one but oh well.. i was forced..

if you didnt like any of the last names avaliable, you had to choose the less worse, and it would stick with you forever :(

maybe having a last name was a good idea in part, but if you were forced to have a last name at least they should give the ability to create your own, and we would be able to see how creative residents could be with their last names.

allowing a space to be added it would be the best solution for names, if the database for some reason cant allow spaces because it will mess with the code, the space can only be visible, for example, when you register you could write in your name field "Canoro Philipp", the field could convert that input to "Canoro.Philipp" and store it in the database, replacing spaces with points, and at the moment of displaying it back from the databse, the conversion of point to space could be performed.

thats what display names basically does but are separated from account names. they should not have been introduced as separated, but as an enhanced replacement.

the display names implementation should have been done like this:

that any new resident create their name like "i am so cool" writing spaces in the name field and having it stored like i.am.so.cool

thats what it needs to be done, allow more points in new names and we will see a flow of amazing creativity.

The entire idea of the name change was to offer greater options for new users, it is sad these greater options have resulted in To6367485960m type names, (and a lot of them). It seems the new users did not know, (could not know) what existing users wanted in the way of greater options in a name.

What was initially asked for the vast majority of the time was the ability to choose ones first AND last name, that's all.

Some people in SL scoffed at the idea of people creating groups for the sole purpose of naming it as they did only so it would show up above the profile name when in fact many of these are quite clever. It also seemed to slip the minds of SL that we could always use a tabber to place text above us as an attachment as well to identify ourselves as we choose.

All in all the name changing idea was and is a major waste of time, energy and server space. It adds nothing to the user experience but confusion especially for new users. It was never actually a problem, just a suggestion that has had an over kill reaction. With all the other bugs to work out of the system it is amazing this name change would even be considered.

I do see your point though, you don't want to be known as liver eport but then again Live Report is not really a name but more of a job title and/or description one would think.

I think it fair to say that Linden Lab and Second reached their all time low about this time last year. The Display Name mess came at the tail end of the V2 mess, which came at the end of the corporate mess (firing many top managers and 30% overall staff, closing overseas offices), which came about the same time as the blogs/fora mess and the teen merger mess following several years of an 'adult' policy mess brought about by the age-verification mess resulting from the anonymous accounts mess of 2006.

Since October 2010, Linden Lab has grasped the nettle and begun rebuilding.

• SL Marketplace has been a success
  • the new fora have been a success
  • the age-verification problem has been solved
  • third-party developers have provided usable versions of V2

I presume fixing the Resident Names problem is next on the agenda. Some ideas can be found here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/A-request-for-solutions-to-the-resident-names-problem/m-p/746145#M5988

Personally i would let people have what ever characters in their display name. Also spaces. Most people seem to know the difference between display name and real name no matter what is written there. Sure there have already been some confusion but there will always be new people, names are not the only confusing thing in SL for the new.

And "single names" are illusion. There is no such thing. And prolly never will be. The whole system is based on everyone having 2 names. First name and last name. It is not only v1 thing or old scripts thing. The Resident last name will stay forever and ever. Some things just fail to show it like it really is.

LL should admit they made a mistake of forcing every new person to the resident last name and just bring back the varying last names. I suppose everyone wish that SL keeps evolving and it stay the most advanced virtual world for ever. Maybe SL is still here after 30 years. In that time it will become harder and harder trying to find decent first name.

Even if LL some day choose to totally change the system and switch out from the FirstName LastName system, (and in the process wipe the whole asset server) we still need some way to know who is who. Will be pain if UUID will be the only way to know the difference of 2 persons with same display name.

I'll add I like your name also!  I think it's a cool name.  Good job!  I wanted something with May or Mae, but kept getting that is taken, that is taken, that is taken, until I finally got a name: Mayalily, not taken. 

my fiance has only one name and logs in with one name..even when he shows display names there is only one name ..

thats in V2..

he hasn't used the option of display names as far as making one..

his account name and name he uses on the grid are the same..the only place he has to use a second name is in V1  viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.