Here we go again, repeat of 2020, so a friendly reminder

Indy Melody

Back in August of 2020, due to the USA presidential election, there was a policy change for Mainland. Content may not be political in nature. It became subject to AR reporting. I am seeing more and more political content on mainland for this 2024 USA presidential election. Don't be surprised if you get AR'ed for it if you are one of the ones placing such signs on Mainland.

(reference: Linden Lab Official:Policy on ad farms and network advertisers under Advertising rules and restrictions)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indy Melody said:

Don't be surprised if you get AR'ed for it if you are one of the ones placing such signs on Mainland.

(reference: Linden Lab Official:Policy on ad farms and network advertisers under Advertising rules and restrictions)

That policy only applies to ad farms and networked advertising. You’re allowed political signs on mainland.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, all "policies" notwithstanding, the Lab could remove any content it doesn't think promotes enjoyment of the platform, so all our stuff—political, religious, bear carcasses in the park and dead dogs in the quarry—any of it can poof whenever they think its better business with it gone. As a private concern, Second Life has its own rights, and any customer is free to shop the market for a forum more to their taste.

But I don't think they'll do that. They will, however, poof political content on microparcels, even if they'd otherwise be acceptable ads (phantom, no glow, no light, no sound, no animation, under 8m tall, all that jazz). If they're political, they're a violation, if they're adfarm microparcel scale. At least that's how I read the policy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

It may take a few days but Governance appears to be acting on ARs concerning big political signs on mainland.

Even if it’s not an ad farm or networked advertising?

LL’s enforcement seems a bit vague then, there’s nothing on their mainland policy or covenant indicating I can’t put any sort of political content up in my piece of mainland. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, discussionbot said:

there’s nothing on their mainland policy or covenant indicating I can’t put any sort of political content up in my piece of mainland

Yes.

However, Governance may be enforcing a less specific  policy. We do not know as they never (hardly ever) explain.

My guess is that they are sympathetic to the "Harassment: Targeted behavior intended to disrupt" policy. They may consider large political displays (e.g. giant billboards or flags)  to be  griefing. Alternately, smaller displays (e.g. smaller scale yard signs or normal sized flags) may not result in Governance action. Who knows?

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

They may consider large political displays (e.g. giant billboards or flags)  to be  griefing.

As you say, "who knows?", but this makes some sense to me… in part because one morning, inspired by a certain former president, I was all prepared to float a huge map sign over a parcel. Then I thought: how will I feel when the neighbor floats their sign inspired by the other former president? And wouldn't I just have it coming? And if I instigated it, how is that not the very definition of griefing?

So I didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was flying around once in SL with my draw distance down and like a fly against a windshield, I ran SMACK into a GIANT billboard advertising a far-right politician in a certain European country. I was stunned. Here, too? Not just on Xitter? Yikes. And roadside? This isn't bannable? It seemed to last for months on end and then disappeared but I think it's because the owner sold their land. 

I don't ban political lawn signs in my rentals. If you don't like your neighbour's lawn sign, put up your own with your own candidate.

What I won't allow are giant billboards, anything spinning, anything on top of a house, i.e. above two stories. 

There isn't any law in the TOS against residents putting up lawn signs on their property. Those don' count as "ad farms" as others have pointed out.

• Like 2