Higher Costs for Premium Perks!? Why?

Kanna Ferina

I'm a premium member. I have been for about 13 years now. I just looked at my account and membership and it says I get uploads for L$10. WHY am I being charged L$40-L$50 for image uploads!? Why am I paying for a PREMIUM service and not getting what is shown on YOUR page? As well as what it promises to receive should I pay the yearly amount? You have increased the price of premium throughout the years but have not increased any perks or even the L$ amount for those who pay for it. I am really starting to get frustrated as I have spent 15yrs on this game and have paid you a rough estimate of around $1,258 of my REAL MONEY. And that is give or take a few dollars. And that's not even counting the amount of money I have put into this game outside of the yearly fees. I joined this game in 2009. I am expecting a reflection in the perks if you're going to continue to increase other costs. 

Respectfully~ Kanna Ferina

Screenshot_27-6-2024_23389_accounts.secondlife.com.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kanna Ferina said:

it says I get uploads for L$10. WHY am I being charged L$40-L$50 for image uploads!?

a forum discussion on the new 2K texture upload fees is here. You are not alone in being unhappy about the increase in the 2K texture upload fee

Edited by elleevelyn

5 hours ago, Kanna Ferina said:

it says I get uploads for L$10. WHY am I being charged L$40-L$50 for image uploads!?

It's really simple.

For YEARS you have been doing something incredibly stupid.

Namely throwing 2048 x 2048 sized textures at the viewers uploader, to be subjected to the worst form of auto-resizing available, into 1024 x 1024's, for L$10.

Now however, one can ACTUALLY upload 2048 x 2048 AS 2048 x 2048, but those cost more money than 1024 x 1024's, FOUR times the size, FOUR times the cost.

If you want to upload 1024 x 1024 for L$ 10, resize the textures BEFORE uploading, using the superior resizing methods in software designed for that purpose.

I'd recommend Irfanview, as its free, reliable, and very good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I checked a 2048 x 2048 texture upload for a every day avatar is L$50 but on my premium plus avatar its L$0.  I guess linden thinks this will encourage us to go premium plus but it is a serious investment in SL and not everyone can afford to.  

It def won't incentivize it for me. I've been Premium since 2005, so I still get 500L a week. I asked at one of the Office Hours I went to when they were still trying to decide about Prem+ whether my stipend would double as well, and no one ever got back to me. Plus, it should be more than double as it's $99 to $249 a year,

In that other thread I asked if there really was going to be a big differencce at uploading to 2048 and some kind soul posted that it didn't look like it. If there isn't, it's not worth the x4 new fees.

13 minutes ago, SylviElle Zaftig said:

In that other thread I asked if there really was going to be a big differencce at uploading to 2048 and some kind soul posted that it didn't look like it. If there isn't, it's not worth the x4 new fees.

That's why the fees are higher: to disincentivize unnecessary use of the higher resolution textures. Uploading a 2K texture should be something that most SL residents do about as often as they pay to change avatar names.

There are those who will tell you it somehow doesn't matter, that (the wildly unpopular) JPEG2000 standard will mean only the observable resolution will really be downloaded, but that's not at all what I expect. These big textures are going to be used where they don't make any sense, and rezzing-in at busy events will take much longer than the painfully long times we endure already. So if anything, the 2K textures should cost more, and for everybody regardless of how "premium" they are, but that's water under the bridge now. They're plenty inexpensive enough for the extremely rare occasions they should actually be used.

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Uploading a 2K texture should be something that most SL residents do about as often as they pay to change avatar names.

Funny thing... I've had exactly the same number of times in 14 years in SL that I really would have benefited from a 2k texture (a large piece of detailed artwork for a domed ceiling that I uploaded as four 1k panels), as I have name changes... one :D

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 2

As far as I remember, they have only increased the premium price one time since I've been in SL, which I came in 2006 and if I'm not mistaken they did increase the perks around that time as well..

I was kind of reminded of that by others, when I was a bit outspoken about the price increase and perks myself a few years ago.. hehehe

On 6/29/2024 at 4:20 AM, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I checked a 2048 x 2048 texture upload for a every day avatar is L$50 but on my premium plus avatar its L$0.  I guess linden thinks this will encourage us to go premium plus but it is a serious investment in SL and not everyone can afford to.  

Originally 2k textures were going to be 50/40/10.  but there was a lot of pushback from the PPlus folk and it became 50/40/0.  Personally I think they should have stuck to 10L$ price for the PPlus people.

• Like 2