Featured News: Android Mobile Viewer

Arielle Popstar

I installed in my fairly new Chinese knock-off tablet...my avatar looks like this *cries*. Sorry for the terrible way it looks...I took the pic via my phone of the tablet's screen.

Tablet specs:

Android 13

DokeOS 3.0

Processor 8 core

RAM 8G / ROM 256 G

Display 800 x 1280

Is my tablet terrible for this app? I'll try n install it on my phone which is much older than this tablet.

Sylvi on Tablet.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Update: Force shut down the app, restarted, logged in fine. But this is how I look lmao. This mobile viewer is going to give me a complex! Lol.

Lol so I installed it on to my phone...Web Page not available, net" ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. It started up got the SL hand logo but never got to the screen to input my log in info. Then that message popped up.

Phone: Another chinese knock off

Blackview A100

Android 11

Processor 8 core

RAM 6G / ROM 256G

Display 1024 x 2400

The phone is probably not beefy enough for SL...I only use it to play monopoly and text my husband (I hate talking on phones - well I hate talking, period).

Sylvi on Phone.jpg

Edited by SylviElle Zaftig
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SylviElle Zaftig said:

Update: Force shut down the app, restarted, logged in fine. But this is how I look lmao. This mobile viewer is going to give me a complex! Lol.

Lol so I installed it on to my phone...Web Page not available, net" ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED. It started up got the SL hand logo but never got to the screen to input my log in info. Then that message popped up.

Phone: Another chinese knock off

Blackview A100

Android 11

Processor 8 core

RAM 6G / ROM 256G

Display 1024 x 2400

The phone is probably not beefy enough for SL...I only use it to play monopoly and text my husband (I hate talking on phones - well I hate talking, period).

Sylvi on Phone.jpg

Thanks for the photo and tablet specs you use. It at least gives me an idea whether I am willing to get the Premium subscription to have that degree of mobility. My phone has similar specs and had no issue with the Lumiya viewer so reasonable chance it will work.

To do local screenshots see this page

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Thanks for the photo and tablet specs you use. It at least gives me an idea whether I am willing to get the Premium subscription to have that degree of mobility. My phone has similar specs and had no issue with the Lumiya viewer so reasonable chance it will work.

To do local screenshots see this page

Ah nice, thanks hahah, I NEVER use my phone or tablet for anything serious lol. I read on tablet and play Monopoly on phone lol. I ran the Lumiya viewer on a MUCH older tablet, Android 7? maybe? and it was fine...this on the other hand made my tablet and phone get blazingly hot in the sub 5 minutes I was on.

4 minutes ago, SylviElle Zaftig said:

Ah nice, thanks hahah, I NEVER use my phone or tablet for anything serious lol. I read on tablet and play Monopoly on phone lol. I ran the Lumiya viewer on a MUCH older tablet, Android 7? maybe? and it was fine...this on the other hand made my tablet and phone get blazingly hot in the sub 5 minutes I was on.

Oh good to know. I drive a fair bit and use the phone with Lumiya to be inworld when my partner is on. I can be online for several hours without issue so good to know the SL mobile viewer might be challenged to stay cool.

• Like 1

Some thoughts from Inana Prey on the Mobile announcement:

https://modemworld.me/2024/06/26/sl-mobile-available-to-premium-plus-and-premium-in-open-beta/

Some points from her article:

• This is beta software and liable to glitches (such a avatar skins rendering fully or partially black under a variety of situations).
  • Log-in is subject to multi-factor authentication, so if you use MFA, have a valid code available from your chosen authenticator when initially logging-in.
  • Once you are logged-in to Second Life on a specific device, future log-ins will be automatic on starting the App until you log-out / are logged out from your device (e.g. because you try logging-in from a regular viewer whilst connected via SL Mobile).
  • The app also supports “standard” touch-screen capabilities including strafing movements (camera), pinch-zoom (camera zoom), etc.
  • SL notifications can be displayed as a part of your device’s notifications.
  • In order to comply with Apple requirements, Adult rated regions in Second Life cannot be access by the iOS version of the SL Mobile app.

The last point I thought was interesting in that from the sound of it, the android version is allowed to access Adult regions whereas the IOS version is not. I'd love to hear confirmation of that from anyone using the Android version. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

https://modemworld.me/2024/06/26/sl-mobile-available-to-premium-plus-and-premium-in-open-beta/

• This is beta software and liable to glitches (such a avatar skins rendering fully or partially black under a variety of situations).
  • Log-in is subject to multi-factor authentication, so if you use MFA, have a valid code available from your chosen authenticator when initially logging-in.
  • Once you are logged-in to Second Life on a specific device, future log-ins will be automatic on starting the App until you log-out / are logged out from your device (e.g. because you try logging-in from a regular viewer whilst connected via SL Mobile).
  • The app also supports “standard” touch-screen capabilities including strafing movements (camera), pinch-zoom (camera zoom), etc.
  • In order to comply with Apple requirements, Adult rated regions in Second Life cannot be access by the iOS version of the SL Mobile app.

The last point I thought was interesting in that from the sound of it, the android version is allowed to access Adult regions whereas the IOS version is not. I'd love to hear confirmation of that from anyone using the Android version. 

Someone did mention it in the Mobile section of the forums.  They were able to access their home which is on Adult land using Android.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Extrude mentioned this yesterday in another thread. Ummmm...here it is.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
28 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Someone did mention it in the Mobile section of the forums.  They were able to access their home which is on Adult land using Android.

Yes, there have been multiple posts that share the news that "M/A=OK for Android, M/A=NOT OK for iOS".

So far I'm impressed with how well it runs on my budget android phone that is a few years old now, it is running android 11 and I was able to download it for those curious.  I think it stated android 13 was preferred.  I tried to download it on bluestacks, to emulate the viewer with the hope it would perform faster, unfortunately with android vs 7, which is what bluestacks uses it will not allow you to download the app.  I did install it using Bliss OS, running on vmware, but it would crash the mobile viewer as soon as it loaded in world.  

But yeah, I'm running around in SL21B, it is useable enough that I can see myself playing on SL while away from my computer on it.  It is not the greatest to explore the world with, things load a bit slowly, but all considering it is running much better than I thought it would on a budget android phone that was produced four years ago.  I'm even streaming music through it.

Moto G stylus

Android 11

Ram:

4gb

Display:

2300 x 1080 display

CPU:

Octa-core (4x2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver)

GPU:

Adreno 610

Full specs can be seen here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_stylus-10057.php

I know there is a lot of hate for mobile right now, but I think LL might have a contender.  Hopefully, they add a lot more features to it, and I look forward to more changes as it progresses.  I'm due for a new phone soon, I think I will save up for something a little beefier, thankfully my provider knocks off a large chunk of the expense for better phones every two years (free budget phones).

I was surprised to see that it is faster than speedlight, I was not expecting mobile to work at all on this phone.  I think we can even cross regions, which is something I could not do in speedlight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Cool that the skin thing is a bug. When I tp'd to one of the mobile destinations listed, I came in as a ghost form (semi transparent with the outline of me and my body and clothing), it fully rezzed the sim really fast which was rather pretty on my phone, but it never fully rezzed my skin.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

So far I'm impressed with how well it runs on my budget android phone that is a few years old now, it is running android 11 and I was able to download it for those curious.  I think it stated android 13 was preferred.  I tried to download it on bluestacks, to emulate the viewer with the hope it would perform faster, unfortunately with android vs 7, which is what bluestacks uses it will not allow you to download the app.  I did install it using Bliss OS, running on vmware, but it would crash the mobile viewer as soon as it loaded in world.  

But yeah, I'm running around in SL21B, it is useable enough that I can see myself playing on SL while away from my computer on it.  It is not the greatest to explore the world with, things load a bit slowly, but all considering it is running much better than I thought it would on a budget android phone that was produced four years ago.  I'm even streaming music through it.

Moto G stylus

Android 11

Ram:

4gb

Display:

2300 x 1080 display

CPU:

Octa-core (4x2.0 GHz Kryo 260 Gold & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 260 Silver)

GPU:

Adreno 610

Full specs can be seen here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_stylus-10057.php

I know there is a lot of hate for mobile right now, but I think LL might have a contender.  Hopefully, they add a lot more features to it, and I look forward to more changes as it progresses.  I'm due for a new phone soon, I think I will save up for something a little beefier, thankfully my provider knocks off a large chunk of the expense for better phones every two years (free budget phones).

I was surprised to see that it is faster than speedlight, I was not expecting mobile to work at all on this phone.  I think we can even cross regions, which is something I could not do in speedlight.

Oh it runs on Android 11 devices? I took a look and saw their Android 13 recommendation and just figured they'd lock out older devices. I wonder how old it actually supports?

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Oh it runs on Android 11 devices? I took a look and saw their Android 13 recommendation and just figured they'd lock out older devices. I wonder how old it actually supports?

I'm curious as well, I just looked now though and saw that bluestacks supposedly has android 11 so I am giving it a shot though.  Perhaps it will install the viewer on it.

• Like 1

Yay, it works in this newer bluestacks!

https://www.bluestacks.com/android-11.html

bluestacks.thumb.png.77b5a6c30bc6c54fe487b6a3554525fa.png

Now I can play around with it on my desktop as well.  Have fun to any of you who wanted to try this, and did not have a phone up to the task.  Btw, if you have a difficult time finding the app on google play go here in your android browser of choice:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lindenlab.secondlife

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Here is a video for anyone interested, mah wings are a bit buggy and you can see mah butt, lol.

* watches superior pc render things fast af* yep. I'm sure that's not the phone experience xD....

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

* watches superior pc render things fast af* yep. I'm sure that's not the phone experience xD....

It is surprisingly fluid on my phone, despite it being a budget phone that is older.  In the development tools, it has an option to display FPS and I am hovering around mid 20s on my phone.  What I do notice, is that it takes a while for textures to load.  Not horrific, mind you, but a noticeable difference.  Right now I am walking around in the same area of Bellisseria and it is running pretty well, which surprises the heck out of me. My phone experience is pretty similar to bluestacks, at least in Bellisseria.  One thing I notice with both of them though, is that sometimes when I teleport to a new region it will mess with the viewer and after logging out, it will not log me back in.  This then requires me to load SL in in my desktop viewer, log out, and then I can log back in from mobile.

With that said, the distance I have set to view is 50m on the phone, and 90m on bluestacks, otherwise the settings are the same.

I can definitely see myself using it on my phone, like tomorrow, when I am driving a family member to the doctor office and will be waiting in my car for probably two hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

It is surprisingly fluid on my phone, despite it being a budget phone that is older.  In the development tools, it has an option to display FPS and I am hovering around mid 20s on my phone.  What I do notice, is that it takes a while for textures to load.  Not horrific, mind you, but a noticeable difference.  Right now I am walking around in the same area of Bellisseria and it is running pretty well, which surprises the heck out of me. My phone experience is pretty similar to bluestacks, at least in Bellisseria.  One thing I notice with both of them though, is that sometimes when I teleport to a new region it will mess with the viewer and after logging out, it will not log me back in.  This then requires me to load SL in in my desktop viewer, log out, and then I can log back in from mobile.

With that said, the distance I have set to view is 50m on the phone, and 90m on bluestacks, otherwise the settings are the same.

I can definitely see myself using it on my phone, like tomorrow, when I am driving a family member to the doctor office and will be waiting in my car for probably two hours. 

That scenario is a good example of places to use second lyfe when you're forced to wait lol. 

So I'm seeing videos on YouTube and everyone is deformed monstrosities.  Half the mesh loads incorrectly just like lumiya did. Really disappointing if that's the average experience . From what I've seen, most of the customization is rendered useless in mobile.. :c

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 2