New FIRESTORM 7.1.9 Got Many Issues

21 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I know we can't name and shame club names, but I really want to know where these framerate killing clubs are.

On a 3070 card, full screen, 4K UHD wide monitor, one notch below ultra setting, 128m view range, I sit at 40fps steady at Fogbound, Muddys, Exhale, Warehouse21, Hotwife, and all the formal dance places I visit, and at least three I mentioned are usually very crowded.

Not saying anyone is not experiencing terrible frame rates, obviously a lot of folks are, but if you have a better video card than I do (like that 4070), I don't understand how the vast performance differences between users are technically possible.

Even on non PBR viewer at a club like Fogbound  with a 2k monitor and a 3070 I am lucky if I can maintain 20-25fps. I am starting to think Windows plays a major role in the FPS we get in SL

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 12:19 PM, Aishagain said:

OK, I won't but my head is neither in the sand nor in that other place that some folks keep their heads.

PBR is both client and server-side. It is the combination of flaws in both that a great many of the issues arise.  A great many folk suffer the "grey texture" bug because their Apple software doesn't like:

1) Unsigned executables

2) anything not designed by Apple software engineers and kept snug and warm in their walled garden.

I sometimes wonder if Apple software was actually designed to service customers or Apple shareholders (are there such creatures?)

Oh and PBR is most assuredly flawed in its application  both to the client and the sim-server.

I really should stop feeding the trolls, but it's a habit I just don't seem to be able to kick.

That's nice. That is - bluntly - an Apple problem. Completely.

Maybe don't use a machine that has an ARM based processor? Maybe they shouldn't have taken the road they did with regard to OpenGL either?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice. That is - bluntly - an Apple problem. Completely.

Maybe don't use a machine that has an ARM based processor? Maybe they shouldn't have taken the road they did with regard to OpenGL either?

Yeah, that really surprised me that Apple would get rid of OpenGL support. I know they want to move forward but there are still good use cases for OpenGL, as deprecated as it is API wise. 

Maybe the Asahi Linux crew could do something about that on their end... haven't kept up with Asahi much lately but maybe they're working on porting the MesaGL stack to the M CPUs. 

But *rawwrrrr...* that means dual booting now lol, I'll leave it at that! Time for Boot Camp!

ETA... oops, no Boot Camp for M CPUs.

Edited by JeromFranzic
I stand corrected
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 12:23 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

Even on non PBR viewer at a club like Fogbound  with a 2k monitor and a 3070 I am lucky if I can maintain 20-25fps. I am starting to think Windows plays a major role in the FPS we get in SL

I'll concede that with PBR and shadows on, I only got around 30 FPS today BUT there were 88 avatars in the region at the time.  I could still move/dance with no problem, though.  

a5e6e8b1306862e7fe549ade2fb3957e.png.dab38ed81df9e0b3813b1a4834ebd947.png

• Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 12:23 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

My guess is if you're willing to temporarily shut off the Anti-Malware Service Executable, that could help with SL viewer performance, or any other intensive Windows app. That thing sometimes eats extra CPU in the background. I generally don't shut that off, but once in a while I'll try it.

There are a few other Windows services that are nearly as CPU bound, but I think the Anti-Malware one takes the cake these days for Win11.

16 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

My guess is if you're willing to temporarily shut off the Anti-Malware Service Executable, that could help with SL viewer performance, or any other intensive Windows app. That thing sometimes eats extra CPU in the background. I generally don't shut that off, but once in a while I'll try it.

There are a few other Windows services that are nearly as CPU bound, but I think the Anti-Malware one takes the cake these days for Win11.

I have all apps closed when on SL, except maybe calendar and of course, OBS. there are only a few non windows things running in the background, like the service for the flycam or the software for the keyboard which I use a few hotkeys, and of course the Nvidia container The only security I use in windows defender, and all of the viewers are white listed

On 7/26/2024 at 9:23 AM, Jackson Redstar said:

Indeed it does. If you try Linux, you will get at least 2-3x the FPS in SL

Edited by BriannaLovey
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BriannaLovey said:

Indeed it does. If you try Linux, you will get at least 2-3x the FPS in SL

Oh hell, now I might have to get another SSD to load Linux on. I don't want to mess with dual booting on my new PC. it's been a pain in the past.

Edited by Bagnu

9 hours ago, SandorWren said:

Oh hell, now I might have to get another SSD to load Linux on. I don't want to mess with dual booting on my new PC. it's been a pain in the past.

Without the background processes of Windows consuming all your disk bandwidth, you may even get by with the entire system installed on a USB SSD.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 5:44 AM, AmeliaJ08 said:

I see this thread is slipping into silliness.

No, you will not see 2x/3x FPS in Linux. No, don't run your OS over USB.

YOU WILL YOU WILL YOU WILL

And the Linux fairies will clean your room and make you tea while they're doing it. (They look like cute penguins with wings.)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

cute penguins with wings.

Um...Penguins DO have wings.  They just use them for swiming instead of flying.  They are cute though!

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2024 at 1:22 PM, RhythmC said:

From the moment i downloaded the new version the graphic on screen became horrible i made the adjustments needed at setting and still the default lights are ugly and to brights

lands environment does not look natural but like in studio or some video game

My screen started flickering colors from the environment reflectaions on water

a little bit of graphics glitch when you are in motion

Try close the new viewer version you get a window stuck on desktop screen saying "Closing firestorm" and after like 10-20 sec its gone what the hell is that ?

Viewer F.P.S getting low and sometimes crashing the graphics so you need to relog 

Secondlife looks like a video game in the new firestorm version and lights are taking over the graphic on screen . 

100% bad experience with the new version .

that is not PBR looks realistic not even close...that is broken rendering system make the SL world looks like studio edit light and not natural as it usually.

Back to the old good version 

Some video card like rtx 3060 ti that i have do not support the PBR and does indeed lowers the FRP when you walk up to a mirror, how ever this accurse only on FS, when i use the Linden viewer 6, i dont have this problem 

there for i also use a older version of fs 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 1:40 AM, BriannaLovey said:

Without the background processes of Windows consuming all your disk bandwidth, you may even get by with the entire system installed on a USB SSD.

I installed a new 1 TB Samsung  SSD last night. I'm going to install Linux after work!!! It must be a decade since I've fiddled with Linux, so It's going to be a learning curve.  Then onto FS after it's setup!!!

I WILL try Linux on a USB 3 SSD as well. If it works, I could help some of my friends set that up for themselves too!!! 

19 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

I installed a new 1 TB Samsung  SSD last night. I'm going to install Linux after work!!! It must be a decade since I've fiddled with Linux, so It's going to be a learning curve.  Then onto FS after it's setup!!!

I WILL try Linux on a USB 3 SSD as well. If it works, I could help some of my friends set that up for themselves too!!! 

Make sure it is an actual SSD, and not just a flash drive. They have quite a big difference in speed.

Also don't pay attention to people above saying you can't do this; I am using a USB-connected SATA SSD and running SL on Linux as we speak, and it certainly performs faster than a hard disk.

Edited by BriannaLovey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BriannaLovey said:

Make sure it is an actual SSD, and not just a flash drive. They have quite a big difference in speed.

Also don't pay attention to people above saying you can't do this; I am using a USB-connected SATA SSD and running SL on Linux as we speak, and it certainly performs faster than a hard disk.

The one I'm trying for myself is an internal Samsung EVO 1 TB SATA III SSD. I have all the curse words to prove it, LOL when the angled SATA connector didn't want to fit right because of the case (I bought a straight extension).  I can't get at the motherboard SATA socket without removing components to put in a straight one.

I WILL use a 2.5" USB 3 SSD, for the external test. Hopefully secure boot can be turned off in my friends' laptops in the BIOS!!! I remember it being difficult to install Windows on a new Nvme on my Acer Nitro 5 I used to use!!!

Edited by SandorWren

1 hour ago, SandorWren said:

The one I'm trying for myself is an internal Samsung EVO 1 TB SATA III SSD. I have all the curse words to prove it, LOL when the angled SATA connector didn't want to fit right because of the case (I bought a straight extension).  I can't get at the motherboard SATA socket without removing components to put in a straight one.

I WILL use a 2.5" USB 3 SSD, for the external test. Hopefully secure boot can be turned off in my friends' laptops in the BIOS!!! I remember it being difficult to install Windows on a new Nvme on my Acer Nitro 5 I used to use!!!

It's probably less work if I take my SSD out, and plug it in with a USB 3 Sata drive connector. No installing everything twice on different disks!!!!!!

On 8/1/2024 at 2:28 PM, BriannaLovey said:

I WAS able to install Linux without it adding an ESP to my Windows drive. FS IS faster, but it's a nightmare trying to get things installed on Linux. It's been a long time since I did.

On 8/1/2024 at 7:28 PM, BriannaLovey said:

Of course you can, doesn't mean you should.

Running any OS over a USB connection, even the absolute best case scenario 10Gbps USB, is something you do as a temporary measure. Of course it's faster than a spinning hard disk, my grandmother is faster than a spinning hard disk. It's not 2005.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

The most annoying thing is that I never crashed with the last version of Firestorm.  Now with the new update I radnomly crash and also get hung up when I try an open it.  I've never had an issue before so I know its not my laptop.  Please fix these annoying issues.  I have had friends who uninstalled the latest update and opted for the last one and they now have no issues.  I might try this option if you can't fix your update.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 12:43 PM, Deepert said:

Some video card like rtx 3060 ti that i have do not support the PBR and does indeed lowers the FRP when you walk up to a mirror, how ever this accurse only on FS, when i use the Linden viewer 6, i dont have this problem 

there for i also use a older version of fs 

Excuse me? 3060 TI doesn't support PBR? PBR is a supported industry standard since a decade. Any GPU that has released in the past 10+ years supports and can handle it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1