Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea: If your PC doesn't like PBR, just use the Mobile App!

1. It's $250 Ploose only

2. It sucks even more than PBR does

3. Mobiles are too small to use SL on with any degree of acceptable functionality

4. No inventory.

So, NO, as usual, your idea qualifies for auto-assign-to-trashcan.

• Haha 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea: If your PC doesn't like PBR, just use the Mobile App!

IMG_9052.jpeg

I'm waiting to see if they will allow third party developers play around with it, I hope so.  I would love to run it on my raspberry pi just for the pewps and giggles.  Better yet, I would like to hear from people that would run it on their Chromebooks, now that would be a hoot to check out.  

If they do go this route 🤞🤞we may see people running SL off of cheapo systems.

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

1. It's $250 Ploose only

2. It sucks even more than PBR does

3. Mobiles are too small to use SL on with any degree of acceptable functionality

4. No inventory.

So, NO, as usual, your idea qualifies for auto-assign-to-trashcan.

The mobile viewer has no inventory functionality?

Just now, bigmoe Whitfield said:

optional, that's going to be an issue,  once adoption happens more and more,  less will be visible with a fall back viewer.

I have explained why this isn't true so many times. I feel like I have beaten my dead horse so hard that the bones are now a fine, dusty powder.

I will do it again anyways, since (I think) it is my first time in this thread.

OpenSim grids don't have the same "shared experience" policy that SL has. This means a viewer could synthesize textures based on info from PBR materials, then use them as regular textures. It obviously wouldn't look exactly the same, but it would be a lot better than wood/blank/gray textures.

4 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

optional, that's going to be an issue,  once adoption happens more and more,  less will be visible with a fall back viewer.

Hahaha, 90% of SL didn't adopt Blinn-Phone in 9 years, and you think PBR will replace most of SL in under a decade?

Go take up stand-up comedy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

No changing your outfit, or rezzing stuff, etc.

Sounds great huh?

Oh and no access to anything A rated of course.

Kiss 1/3rd of the grid goodbye.

Yeah it sounds abysmal. I have not used it - when I need to use SL on mobile, I remote in on an iPad to my desktop machine and use it that way. I would never even try on my phone. The only thing I ever wanted on mobile for SL was the ability to message people in SL even if not logged in yourself, like pretty much any messaging platform manages. The effort going into the mobile app does seem wasted for how much it fractures SL and reduces the experience.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

The effort going into the mobile app does seem wasted for how much it fractures SL and reduces the experience.

Meanwhile in the LL Dept. of Failure..

"But... But... Vast untapped new market of whyPhone addicted Gen Z Crapblox kids, who will rage quit within 5 mins, without spending a dime, because it takes more than 30 seconds to get into sexy chat with other Gen Z's, and its full of really old people over 25 who are nearly  dead! We must have a whyPhone app to access this utterly worthless market!"

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Mobile for me would be terrible.. I need my big ole monitor for as much screen real estate as I can get.. hehehe

you just hold your phone so it touches your nose, it will seem as big as your monitor 😬

• Confused 1

Being someone who tends to spend 99%* of their time in sl as a robot. PBR has been like a Christmas in June for me. The metals and plastics of my look are shinier then ever and the metal behave a bit more like metal should. The only issue really has been that some eep setting look more washed out, but that can be fixed.

As for the mobile viewer. Being unable to enter my home because it's on A land is anoting as hell and I have no idea why LL thought that was a good idea. A shame, because a mobile viewer was something I was looking forward to.

Edited by Robin Kiyori
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

you just hold your phone so it touches your nose, it will seem as big as your monitor 😬

Are you trying to remind me of how much I don't like touch screens?

hehehe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Being someone who tends to spend 99%* of their time in sl as a robot. PBR has been like a Christmas in June for me. The metals and plastics of my look are shinier then ever and the metal behave a bit more like metal should. The only issue really has been that some eep setting look more washed out, but that can be fixed.

As for the mobile viewer. Being unable to enter my home because it's on A land is anoting as hell and I have no idea why LL thought that was a good idea.

Yes but I’ll probably jelly you anyway, no wait you are PBR? you will look like grey jelly anyway…. problem solved

And why does anything LL does seem like a good idea?

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Do you change the oil in your car? Add wiper fluid? Rotate the tires? Put gas in it? Get the brakes serviced? Or do you expect to buy it and drive it forever without any maintenance or upkeep? No? Why do you think computers are different?

Yes I maintain my car and I maintain my computer. What I don't have to do with my car is adjust it because it no longer performs like it did because the fuel, oil, tires, or brakes have been upgraded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

I have no idea why LL thought that was a good idea.

A survey by the LL Dept. of Failure of LL staff visiting the office coffee machine, revealed that 60% use a whyPhone, therefore the Mobile Fail App MUST be available on whyOs, therefore MUST be available in the Awful Mac whyOs App store, that forbids all adult content.

Simple!

4 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

As for the mobile viewer. Being unable to enter my home because it's on A land is anoting as hell and I have no idea why LL thought that was a good idea. A shame, because a mobile viewer was something I was looking forward to.

It is not their doing specifically, it is app store policies preventing it. However, you could have seen that one from space so I have no idea how they didn't foresee that issue or think it would not be a major problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillFletcher said:

Yes I maintain my car and I maintain my computer. What I don't have to do with my car is adjust it because it no longer performs like it did because the fuel, oil, tires, or brakes have been upgraded.

maybe you could rip out the gas engine and put in a giant battery and have the latest rl automotive shiney 😂

It is not their doing specifically, it is app store policies preventing it. However, you could have seen that one from space so I have no idea how they didn't foresee that issue or think it would not be a major problem.

I'm certain they did see it. 

unmmm because LL management doesn’t think, or maybe its because they think the people on SL are just stupid

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

People do trade in their cars for newer models, and rarely because the car was obsolete. Not the best example! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

People do trade in their cars for newer models, and rarely because the car was obsolete. Not the best example! 

But they don't "trade in their cars" because some salesman said

"Round wheels are a thing of the past, all the cool kids drive on TRIANGULAR wheels now, stop living in the last century you luddites and buy a NEW car with TRIANGULAR WHEELS! They are the futureness!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just smear your nose with antiseptic first, of you're a germaphobe!

It's more that I'm always accidentally touching my screen when I'm almost where I want to be and end up somewhere else entirly on my phone..

I hate how sensitive touch screens are.. I wish they had an ,Are you sure you want to do this, option when you touch something.. hehehe

• Thanks 1