I have used PBR in landscaping, and hated it

3 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Gameplay or (Experiences/Chat/Social in World) > Graphics in the end, always will be.

Somebody, earlier this year apparently did a survey of gamer/playtime hours, and WHAT games people were playing.

60 % of Gamer/Play Hours were spent in games OVER 6 years old.

The market share for AAA games released in 2023 was something ridiculous at about 0.8%.

People keep screaming for "Super Duper Uncanny Valley GFX of Awesomesauce Leet Futureness in at least 4k and preferably 8k", but what people are actually playing is OLD games where the game play mattered MORE than the texture resolution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ingrid's reaction to this was perfect, lol.

Agreed. And it's going to be the response of the vast majority of SL residents.

As Zali has pointed out, I think, you shouldn't need a background in computer graphics to play Second Life.

On the positive side, I think this is true:

4 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Gameplay or (Experiences/Chat/Social in World) > Graphics in the end, always will be.

A great many of my friends literally don't know what "ALM" is, in large measure because they don't care all that much. Most of them have their graphics low enough that it's turned off, because avoiding lag is more important to them than nice graphics.

Those people aren't going to learn how to use reflection probes, obviously. But they also won't care that much about the graphic quality that it can produce anyway. So they'll be fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Light attributes are vitally important to see beauty. While I think everyone could benefit from more beauty in their life I'm understanding of those who just use SL to chat and don't care much about the visuals.

No matter how beautiful Second Life becomes, it will never come close to matching RL. Maybe all this crap is important for bedridden shutins who can't get outside, but I can go sit out in my garden and it looks 10 times better than anything LL could ever come up with.

Ok I'll cut the snark even though you irritate me so. You've mentioned this on the forum at least 5 times, and we've discussed it a couple. You're comparing apples and oranges -- who said anybody expected or wanted SL nature and RL nature to be exactly the same, or that you can't appreciate nature in SL because it's not the same as RL nature?

I don't think you understand art -- what we create in SL is (or can be) an art form. The purpose of art is to help us see the beauty in life (not just SL life, but RL too). 'Art' is the art of seeing...and fiddling with all elements in SL helps us see reality in all worlds better and appreciate it more.

Ok back to the snark...why are you 'encountering' all these people in SL every day, sometimes multiple times a day?  Can't you get that in RL?

Why does anybody dress up in SL, shop, and go to music events -- can't they do that in RL?

Why do you single out my beloved nature for your inane remarks?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Those people aren't going to learn how to use reflection probes

They'll be left in the dark then...

/me also tells dad jokes...sorry

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The purpose of art is to help us see the beauty in life

I can't think of a single time period in the last 700 years when that's been true in Western Civilisation.

Likely we define 'art' differently.  I define art as a way a person learns to appreciate the elements of life. Learning is the key point here. For example, my grandson's scribbles are art...for him. He learned a bit more about what this object was he was trying to comprehend better...he appreciated it...it was fun...he felt it.  He used whatever ability he had to explore it.

It seems you're trying to define GOOD art, but that is not easy to do.  I define it from the person's perspective creating it, and not from someone outside the creator who is judging it.

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It seems you're trying to define GOOD art,

No, all art.

It used to be a visual expression of "worth-ship", a Medieval concept, basically the equivalent of buying a $200 coffee table book, not to read but just to have and leave on the table to impress visitors with how rich and stylish you were.

At least one of the "Great Masters" was hat today we'd call a "copy-botter. When summoned to some lord's palace, to discuss a commission, he'd whip out a sketch pad while waiting in the hall, and make rough copies of the paintings they already owned, so he could basically copy them for other customers.

His customers were mainly concerned with "II need a 16 ft by 9 ft painting of some suitable subject to put on the wall at the landing on the grand staircase to impress the hell out of visitors".

Later "art" became something that "professional art experts" proclaimed on, the value going up if the artist was very very dead, all about speculation. Then later it became a hobby for upper middle class types, then a way for lower middle class types to make obscene amounts of money for selling pretentious crap to rich snobs.

This is how we progress from "Oh wow, an ILLUSTRATED copy of Froissart's Chronicals, with ALL colour illustrations depicting the soldiers in the LATEST Milanese fashions! Expensive!" to "I sawed a dead cow into slices and put it in a glass tank full of preservative" via "I did a blurry impressionist painting of Mama's country house, but with out the pesky servants who keep asking for a half day off for Xmas" and "I wrote the names of all the people I humped at rock festivals on bits of paper and safety pinned them to the inside of my old festival tent".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Art
Expression of human creativity and imagination

Definition
Diverse range of human activities creating visual, auditory, or performed artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative, conceptual ideas, or technical skill.
Main branches in Western tradition
Painting, sculpture, and architecture.
Broader definition includes
Theatre, dance, performing arts, literature, music, film, interactive media.

Art is a diverse range of human creative activities and the products of those activities. It involves imaginative or technical skill for expressive purposes.

Some key points about the nature of art:

• Art is a means of expressing emotions, ideas, or a vision of the world through creative works. It allows for the communication of profound concepts beyond just words.
  •  
  • Art can take many forms including painting, sculpture, music, literature, dance, theater, film, and more. It stimulates thoughts, emotions, beliefs, and ideas through creative expression.
  •  
  • There is no universally agreed upon definition of art. Interpretations of what constitutes art have varied greatly across cultures and historical periods.
  •  
  • Art is subjective - whether something is considered art often depends on the individual's perception and perspective. Beauty and aesthetic value are key factors, but art can also intentionally provoke negative emotions.
  •  
  • Skill, creativity, originality, and the ability to evoke an emotional response are often cited as important criteria for art. However, the boundaries of art are constantly expanding.
  •  
  • Art serves various purposes beyond just aesthetics, such as education, therapy, social commentary, and more. It is a fundamental means of human expression and development.
  •  

In essence, art is a creative expression of human skill, imagination, and vision, manifested in a diversity of forms and serving many roles in society and individual lives. Its subjective nature allows for constant reinterpretation and evolution.

• Like 2

Art can be created by individuals or groups for various purposes:

1. Self-expression: to express one's thoughts, feelings, and experiences.
  2. Communication: to convey messages or ideas to others.
  3. Entertainment: to engage and delight audiences.
  4. Education: to inform, educate, or enlighten others.
  5. Cultural preservation: to document and preserve cultural heritage.

Ultimately, art is a way for humans to connect with each other and the world around us through creativity and imagination.

• Like 1

I asked deepAI.org if there was bad art and it seemed to get upset...lol

"What a question!

The answer is... (drumroll please)... it's subjective!

Art is a form of human expression, and what one person considers "bad" art might be someone else's masterpiece. Beauty, aesthetics, and artistic value are all relative and context-dependent. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Subjective taste: People have different preferences when it comes to art. What one person finds beautiful or meaningful might not resonate with another.
  2. Cultural context: Art is often shaped by cultural, historical, and social contexts. What is considered "bad" art in one culture or era might be celebrated in another.
  3. Artistic intent: The artist's intention, skill level, and creative vision can influence how we perceive their work. Even if a piece doesn't meet our personal standards, it may still have value as a reflection of the artist's skill or expression.
  4. Evolution of taste: Artistic styles and tastes evolve over time. What was considered "bad" art in the past might be rediscovered and appreciated later on.
  5. Contextual considerations: The environment in which art is displayed or experienced can greatly impact our perception of it. For example, a piece that's not well-lit or displayed in a cluttered space might not showcase its true potential.

That being said, there are some cases where art might be considered "bad" in the sense that:

1. Technical skill: A piece may lack technical proficiency or craftsmanship, making it difficult to appreciate or understand.
  2. Lack of originality: An artwork that's overly derivative or unoriginal might not stand out or offer anything new to the viewer.
  3. Offensive or insensitive content: Art that perpetuates harmful stereotypes, discrimination, or offends certain groups of people can be problematic.
  4. Lack of emotional resonance: A piece that fails to evoke emotions or engage the viewer on a deeper level might be considered "bad" in terms of its ability to connect with the audience.

Ultimately, whether a piece of art is considered "good" or "bad" depends on individual perspectives and criteria. As we explore and engage with art, we can develop our own understanding of what makes art meaningful and valuable to us".

Edited by Luna Bliss

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

[ Deprecated to remove pretentious pseudo-intellectual spam ]

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

[ Deprecated to remove pretentious pseudo-intellectual spam ]

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I asked deepAI [ Deprecated to remove pretentious pseudointellectual spam from a worthless Artificial Idiocy Spambot ]

Whatever.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ok I'll cut the snark even though you irritate me so. You've mentioned this on the forum at least 5 times, and we've discussed it a couple. You're comparing apples and oranges -- who said anybody expected or wanted SL nature and RL nature to be exactly the same, or that you can't appreciate nature in SL because it's not the same as RL nature?

I don't think you understand art -- what we create in SL is (or can be) an art form. The purpose of art is to help us see the beauty in life (not just SL life, but RL too). 'Art' is the art of seeing...and fiddling with all elements in SL helps us see reality in all worlds better and appreciate it more.

Ok back to the snark...why are you 'encountering' all these people in SL every day, sometimes multiple times a day?  Can't you get that in RL?

Why does anybody dress up in SL, shop, and go to music events -- can't they do that in RL?

Why do you single out my beloved nature for your inane remarks?

That's fine, you create your beautiful art. I'm sure what I create doesn't hold a candle to your amazing achievements, but it amuses me, and that's all that matters.

Sometimes I think, It might be cool to meet you in world, then other times i think... what the hell was I thinking?

7 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Well now that we have the definition of "Art" nailed  down, we can carry on. 

There was an old man named Art
Whose farting gave quite a start
It wasn't very neat
But he couldn't be beat
For his farts were a work of art

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Somebody, earlier this year apparently did a survey of gamer/playtime hours, and WHAT games people were playing.

60 % of Gamer/Play Hours were spent in games OVER 6 years old.

The market share for AAA games released in 2023 was something ridiculous at about 0.8%.

People keep screaming for "Super Duper Uncanny Valley GFX of Awesomesauce Leet Futureness in at least 4k and preferably 8k", but what people are actually playing is OLD games where the game play mattered MORE than the texture resolution.

I really need to hook up my NES and my N64

5 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

i guess anything looks good to bedridden shutins who can't get outside!

Oic, you were calling my bfs bedridden shutins, my bad, I misunderstood. They might be, I dunno, I never ask about a persons real life

45 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I think you did a few posts back

No, don’t think I did. I said bedridden shutins might appreciate PBR, in another post I said I look good enough to my bfs, so from that you can conclude my bfs are NOT bedridden shutins. I hope this clears things up for you

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I said bedridden shutins might appreciate PBR, in another post I said I look good enough to my bfs, so from that you can conclude my bfs are NOT bedridden shutins. I hope this clears things up for you

Have you asked them if they appreciate PBR and are therefore, bedridden shutins?

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

No, don’t think I did. I said bedridden shutins might appreciate PBR, in another post I said I look good enough to my bfs, so from that you can conclude my bfs are NOT bedridden shutins. I hope this clears things up for you

WTF do bedridden shutins have to do with PBR?

• Haha 1