Where do we stand with these forums?

7 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Yep, especially when the term 'mind like a steel trap', means 'A mind capable of understanding or grasping information quickly.'

David has a mind like a steel trap, so if you give him the instructions, he'll follow them perfectly.

My grandmother is nearly 96 years old, but she still has a mind like a steel trap.

Shoot, she remembers things better than me most of the time! Molly has a mind like a steel trap, so go ask her—she'll probably remember.

It's okay, none of us are perfect, so extend that to others next time.

or, inflexible...

hard to pry open without exhausting yourself...

once it 'bites' into some "fact", no matter how poorly sourced, it refuses to let it go

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

or, inflexible...

once it 'bites' into some "fact", no matter how poorly sourced, it refuses to let it go

Are we going to argue the meaning of words and phrases again, when clearly you used it in error, and so just 'let it go', but no, you're going to continue to twist so you never admit a mistake?
Thats a big problem on these forums

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Are we going to argue the meaning of words and phrases again, when clearly you used it in error, and so just 'let it go', but no, you're going to continue to twist so you never admit a mistake?

I said I was reminded of the phrase. I have never thought it was very complimentary for the reasons I posted. YMMV

[EDIT:] My use of it in that way was not a mistake. It was intentionally used in this way. I even got to explain in a subsequent post as to why it wasn't a compliment. Sarcasm in English is a funny old thing, innit?

Edited by Roxy Couturier

4 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

I said I was reminded of the phrase. I have never thought it was very complimentary for the reasons I posted. YMMV

[EDIT:] My use of it in that way was not a mistake. It was intentionally used in this way. I even got to explain in a subsequent post as to why it wasn't a compliment. Sarcasm in English is a funny old thing, innit?

I had never looked at the phrase that way, but your interpretation is interesting. A trap that animals get painfully caught in is an odd choice for saying someone has a good memory, The information trapped in your head angle is interesting in spite of the loud protest above. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Relax Merriam-Webster, she was not trying to redefine it, just saying why she found it an odd turn of phrase.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, stlshayne said:
56 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance, and having it shoved in your face every minute

What is it with homophobes and having things "shoved in their faces?" You might want to recalibrate your draw distance. 

They just don't want to hear about it, read about it, see it, or be reminded of it!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Indeed.

12 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Words HURT if you disagree with someone. It's like..sniff..calling them..WRONG..SOB!!

IMG_9036.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Words HURT if you disagree with someone. It's like..sniff..calling them..WRONG..SOB!!

No, it's about agreeing on the terms used in a discussion, so a coherent one can happen. When words can mean anything to anyone (as apparently it can in recent years) there is no room for 'intellectual honesty' in any arguments made, and no proper communication can happen.

Why is it that many members of this forum cannot agree with this? Soooo many disagreements happen here over people 'interpreting' words their own way, rather than seeking some objective reference so that the conversation can be facilitated.

1 hour ago, stlshayne said:

I grant there was more to the image, but the image was still the image. If the background implied support for Loving v Virginia, would we still be having this conversation?

Its amazing how an amusing meme can be so triggering, but then again, the truth always hurts a little.

33 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

or, inflexible...

Mind is like a trap, only functions when open!

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

From what you have said about your forum, it seems it would be an active node of the hive mind.

"far left" and "hive mind" are basically the same thing.

That's inaccurate, and you know it. There's no shortage of alt-right hive mind (groups and forums) out there.

What people refer to as 'hive mind' is essentially group-think; which can be either left or right.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

No, it's about agreeing on the terms used in a discussion, so a coherent one can happen. When words can mean anything to anyone (as apparently it can in recent years) there is no room for 'intellectual honesty' in any arguments made, and no proper communication can happen.

Why is it that many members of this forum cannot agree with this? Soooo many disagreements happen here over people 'interpreting' words their own way, rather than seeking some objective reference so that the conversation can be facilitated.

Describe to us how a steel trap works.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

it's about agreeing on the terms used in a discussion, so a coherent one can happen. When words can mean anything to anyone (as apparently it can in recent years) there is no room for 'intellectual honesty' in any arguments made, and no proper communication can happen.

Coming from somebody who uses "urban dictionary" as it does, your statement is effectively meaningless noise, posted "in bad faith".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harper Held said:

That's inaccurate, and you know it. There's no shortage of alt-right hive mind (groups and forums) out there.

What people refer to as 'hive mind' is essentially group-think; which can be either left or right.

I’ve been aware of this phenomen of the left for a long time…there is only one correct opinion on any topic,  and if you disagree, you are not simple wrong,  in their mind, you are racist, sexist, homophobic, anti trans etc etc etc and should just die as a benefit to humanity

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Language is a living, breathing thing. Yes, there is often misinterpretation of words in a written medium, and there are often cultural and regional differences in the meaning of some word and phrases. A good example of words being repurposed is the word “woke”, which has been hijacked as shorthand for “people I don’t like should not be treated equally”. People can split hairs over meanings and also be purposely obtuse. It goes with the territory of public discourse.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I’ve been aware of this phenomen of the left for a long time…there is only one correct opinion on any topic,  and if you disagree, you are not simple wrong,  in their mind, you are racist, sexist, homophobic, anti trans etc etc etc and should just die as a benefit to humanity

And yet it is the right that does far more to cancel people, while whining loudly that their opinions are being censored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I will tell you what I abhore: Chocolate and peanut butter in the same bite, I've never had a reeses peanut butter cup, and won't kiss anyone that has.

You are not right in the head. Dark chocolate reese’s peanut butter cups are heaven.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Language is a living, breathing thing. Yes, there is often misinterpretation of words in a written medium, and there are often cultural and regional differences in the meaning of some word and phrases. A good example of words being repurposed is the word “woke”, which has been hijacked as shorthand for “people I don’t like should not be treated equally”. People can split hairs over meanings and also be purposely obtuse. It goes with the territory of public discourse.

you just made up that definition of woke right now.

It actually means people that embrace any trendy cause without serious consideration of what it’s all about, they embrase tired trite slogans over anything of substance

Some people are woke, others are awake

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

And yet it is the right that does far more to cancel people, while whining loudly that their opinions are being censored.

omg you cannot be serious…. spoken like a charter member of the hive mind

I skipped from page 5 to page 10, because y'all freaking did that many pages in 4 hours! But in reading I saw a person say that left = hive mind.

I know this is going to get removed .. but as an ex right winger, I gotta say I'd rather be part of the hive mind than the right's totally-lost-their mind.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

you just made up that definition of woke right now.

It actually means people that embrace any trendy cause without serious consideration of what it’s all about, they embrase tired trite slogans over anything of substance

Some people are woke, others are awake

I did not make up the definition. Woke actually means being aware of the systemic injustices inherent in society and wanting to fix them. It has been hijacked as a pejorative. Do think whining “woke” is not a tired trite slogan from your side? Of course you don’t. Everyone else is a follower, but you are a free thinker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

omg you cannot be serious…. spoken like a charter member of the hive mind

I could provide you countless examples of the right cancelling their own, but it is just shouting into the void. Just ask any Republican who does not get on the cult train how it is going for them.

• Like 3

• Moles

Sorry.  I overslept and then decided it was smart to eat a good breakfast and face a rainy Sunday on a full stomach. Meanwhile, the conversation here has wandered way off course into things that have little to do with SL, or at least with the question that the OP posed on page one.  Please leave the rapid fire arguments about ...  whatever it is that you are arguing about ... and get back to the topic.

• Like 3