A simple "Hi" can be great!

Jarrod1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to write up a little note on friendships/meeting people, especially for new people. Now I am still fairly new myself and the one thing I love about SL is the many different types of people you can meet here. There are people from all walks of life here and backgrounds and I believe that's what makes Second Life so great. You never know who you will meet or see. Everyone has different tastes and different interests and thats whaty makes things unique here. When I first started Second Life I was kind of shy at first to say hi or talk to people, but as I quickly found out if you want to make friends and learn about people you just have to jump in and do it. Where do I meet people you may ask? well there are tons of places, you can go to dance clubs if you enjoy that scene (I love to dance and music so I enjoy clubs), you can attend the various events on SL and there are a ton of them. You can also do searches on different sims or groups, that will expand your options. There are a wide variety of classes that teach you building or scripting for example if you like to be creative. Talk to people with the same interests as you, I have met a few people this way whether it's photography, exploring, building, etc. Whatever you do start by saying hi and strike up a conversation, you would be suprised how fast a simple hi can lead to a great conversation. Now SL isn't perfect and yes there are people out there that cause problems and will not give you the time a day. These folks are not worth your time so don't sweat it. If someone is not friendly to you or doesn't respond don't worry about it just move on to the next person. I truly believe for every one person that is not friendly there are ten others that will be. One key thing to remember, everyone as I said before is different and have different tastes, so I also urge don't be judgemental, life is too short for that. I have really enjoyed SL and continue to do so and remember HAVE FUN most of all that's what its all about. Get out there say hi start conversations and I guarantee it will lead to better and bigger things. Afterall that person you say "Hi" to may just end up being a friend for life!

Thanks have a great day!  :matte-motes-sunglasses-2:

Jarrod1 wrote:

Hey everyone!

Now I am still fairly new myself and the one thing I love about SL is the many different types of people you can meet here. There are people from all walks of life here and backgrounds and I believe that's what makes Second Life so great. You never know who you will meet or see.

One of my greatest joys in SL has been the opportunity to befriend people I would never have had the chance to cross paths with in my RL circles. I love the diversity of SL and what I've been able to learn about and share in common with people who are very different from me.

Great post, but just to make a note that a lot of people don't like IMs that start off with "Hi". I think because too many times people just say hi and then that is all that they say. My approach is to talk about somethng they mentioned in their profile. That shows that you took an interest in learning about them (at least what they chose to share with you) before talking to them.

I totally agree!  And I know what it's like to be a wallfower at times.  i'm a little more outgoing now, but sometimes I can still get really freaked out when I try to make friends.  I'm such a social wuss! lol  

Anyways, it was great reading your post.  Brightened my day!

Jarrod1 wrote:

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to write up a little note on friendships/meeting people, especially for new people. Now I am still fairly new myself and the one thing I love about SL is the many different types of people you can meet here. There are people from all walks of life here and backgrounds and I believe that's what makes Second Life so great. You never know who you will meet or see.

I truly believe for every one person that is not friendly there are ten others that will be. One key thing to remember, everyone as I said before is different and have different tastes, so I also urge don't be judgemental, life is too short for that. I have really enjoyed SL and continue to do so and remember HAVE FUN most of all that's what its all about. Get out there say hi start conversations and I guarantee it will lead to better and bigger things. Afterall that person you say "Hi" to may just end up being a friend for life!

Thanks have a great day!  :matte-motes-sunglasses-2:

:-D. Very nice post. That's exactly how I approached SL and it has been and continues to be a wonderful experience for me. I see you're just starting your third month so if you're at all like I was at that 'age' you've gotten a pretty good handle on the basics and can really start getting into things in a big way.

Have fun. And 'Hi', by the way. :smileyhappy:

• 7 months later...

I`d rather have an hello or an f`off then an hi, the usual hi endsup for me in 3 ways:
That`s all they say
They want me to create something for them for free
One of the next words will be sex

So in IM, either say hi in an sentance or just say it in local, with a sentance if you intend to say more then 1 word...

I agree, amazing things have happened because of the word "Hi"! I normally use it in local chat when I'm in a new place, and sometimes, I do get replies. Sometimes, we even have conversations, about music and so on, especially when I hang out a music clubs. It's a miracle word, really; it can lead to great conversations and friendships. That's how I found my closest friends actually.

At the same time, sometimes, when I do type a hi in local chat, I don't get a response. If there's a conversation going on, I'll join in, but if everyone is all silent, I tend to move on and find another place to hang out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.