Anatomy of Trolls and How to Deal with Them

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Either you felt you were owed an apology, and stated such like someone that expects empathy or you were trolling.

I know which one I believe it was.

(I'm far less generous than Scylla.)

Maybe a bit of both mixed with a put down of the statement.

Yes, I saw your post where you stated you play hardball with posters not in your clique.

• Thanks 1

I decided not to Google any word meanings because I don't care enough about your search skills in finding the meaning to a word that matches what you think. 

Hi. I am Cinnamon and I admit to being a forum troll at times. I admit that I know exactly what I'm doing when I use a logical fallacy, gaslight someone, or mirror what I perceive to be their trolling attempts.

I use all kinds of techniques to communicate including one's that are probably not fair.

In the end my goal is to be understood. I communicate to a certain person or personality and use what I think will work. I may be subtle and use some tact, but I want to be clear. I want to be understood. I don't hide my meanings behind large words, abbreviations, or circular talk. I don't pretend to be smarter than anyone else.

I won't admit to never using humiliation to make my points, either. Usually that technique is a mirror I am using to reflect back someone else's attempt.

I will play dumb if I think it makes the other person consider their argument a little deeper.

We ALL use all these techniques. I'm not different. There is not a single person here that hasn't used an unfair argument.  However, the reasons we use these techniques aren't always to foster communication or bring about understanding.  That may be the difference. 

One technique I won't stoop to is name calling.  I can't think of a single discussion that is made better by that.

Who among you still wants to say the issue lies only with someone else?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did, you deserved it.🙄

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did, you deserved it.

Yes, you're the one telling people.to just laugh it off.  It's not that bad.  Why is everyone so serious?  A griefer can be funny.  Chill.  Etc, etc, etc.

The Narcissists Prayer indeed.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes, you're the one telling people.to just laugh it off.  It's not that bad.  Why is everyone so serious?  A griefers can be funny.  Chill.  Etc, etc, etc.

The Narcissists Prayer indeed.

Yet nothing in that prayer is reflected in my posts.. but it does describe MANY posts from other users here, in how they profess to treat others and react to their posts, the names and labels they will ascribe, the accusations they will make, and the ill treatment that they continue to perpetuate - whether a real or imagined offense happened.

So yes, indeed. Are you part of it, or will you end the cycle?

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes, you're the one telling people.to just laugh it off.

What else are you to do (in SL)..  let it ruin your life? What do you want to do about trolls? Ban them all at your word?

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Troll Anatomy 101 "A Positive Approach" - Syllabus

Recognizing 

Understanding

Sympathizing

Acknowledging

Apologizing

Enabling

Citing References

Debating

If anything, this topic demonstrates how Trolls may not even know they're Trolls...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I decided not to Google any word meanings because I don't care enough about your search skills in finding the meaning to a word that matches what you think. 

Hi. I am Cinnamon and I admit to being a forum troll at times. I admit that I know exactly what I'm doing when I use a logical fallacy, gaslight someone, or mirror what I perceive to be their trolling attempts.

I use all kinds of techniques to communicate including one's that are probably not fair.

In the end my goal is to be understood. I communicate to a certain person or personality and use what I think will work. I may be subtle and use some tact, but I want to be clear. I want to be understood. I don't hide my meanings behind large words, abbreviations, or circular talk. I don't pretend to be smarter than anyone else.

I won't admit to never using humiliation to make my points, either. Usually that technique is a mirror I am using to reflect back someone else's attempt.

I will play dumb if I think it makes the other person consider their argument a little deeper.

We ALL use all these techniques. I'm not different. There is not a single person here that hasn't used an unfair argument.  However, the reasons we use these techniques aren't always to foster communication or bring about understanding.  That may be the difference. 

One technique I won't stoop to is name calling.  I can't think of a single discussion that is made better by that.

Who among you still wants to say the issue lies only with someone else?

This is excellent!

I feel like I was at a 12-Step Program!

If we had a thread with nothing but "truth" like this..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

If anything, this topic demonstrates how Trolls may not even know they're Trolls...

I believe when we got "deep in the weeds" with definitions - and you did a good job holding up your end against the odds - it became very clear that most people would not admit they are Trolls.

I, for one, am looking forward to @Cinnamon Mistwood's class and 12-step program! 

Me: "Hi, my name is Love, and I'm a Troll!"

Everyone: "Hi, Love!"

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Just because someone calls you a troll doesn't make you a troll.

ooooo you trashed  my world view, you troll you 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed challenged to trashed

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Yet nothing in that prayer is reflected in my posts

It's exactly what that prayer is saying.  "and if it did, it wasn't that bad".  What YOU think is harmless fun might not be what someone else thinks is harmless fun.  YOU don't get to decide how something makes others feel.  Doing so is classic narcissistic behavoir.  Invalidating someone else's feelings.   You just don't get it, do you?

On 5/27/2024 at 12:06 PM, Codex Alpha said:

I hope people here can tell the difference betweek friendly 'joking' vs trolling, flaming and griefing.

Else really, 'get a sense of humour' or 'stop taking SL so seriously' or 'lighten up' or 'take a break', or for some 'put a ban line around your land or get a private server so no one will ever see, talk or engage with you ever again'.

I personally think Second Life (and Sansar in the past) have lost a great deal of that 'sense of humour' that we used to enjoy a decade ago. My opinion and experience as of late having been on both platforms is "F man, you are all SO SERIOUS!"

On 5/27/2024 at 12:11 PM, Codex Alpha said:

Second Life in general could use a lot more sense of humour.

Everyone is sooooo.... serious...

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Yet nothing in that prayer is reflected in my posts.. but it does describe MANY posts from other users here, in how they profess to treat others and react to their posts, the names and labels they will ascribe, the accusations they will make, and the ill treatment that they continue to perpetuate - whether a real or imagined offense happened.

So yes, indeed. Are you part of it, or will you end the cycle?

The "prayer" you posted was only about Narcissists. 

The thread is about "Trolls".

Those are two different things. Is it possible you are conflating them?  (Not all Trolls are narcissists, and not all narcissists are Trolls.)

In any case, since we have AGAIN been recently reminded to stay on topic, I would think it wise to stick to Trolls.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Those are two different things. Is it possible you are conflating them?  (Not all Trolls are narcissists, and not all narcissists are Trolls.)

In any case, since we have AGAIN been recently reminded to stay on topic, I would think it wise to stick to Trolls.  

Can you explain how some trolls are not narcissists? I'd really like to understand how empathism, echoism, and altruism could the characteristics of a troll.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

trolls.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's exactly what that prayer is saying.  "and if it did, it wasn't that bad".  What YOU think is harmless fun might not be what someone else thinks is harmless fun.  YOU don't get to decide how something makes others feel.  Doing so is classic narcissistic behavoir.  Invalidating someone else's feelings.   You just don't get it, do you?

I think YOU don't get it.

You quote me and the context was when I defined a jokester/mischief maker 'harmless' fun, vs other more aggressive traits AND I provided examples.

I am NOT responsible for you being offended, and I'm not a narcissist just because I don't take responsibility for how YOU react to a given stimulus.

If my intent was not malicious in any way, yet that person still reacts as such - that is not my responsibility nor in my control to do anything about it.

I take this subject seriously, because only recent experiences on LL platforms shows me just how easily the most innocuous statement made can trigger any person at any time, to any rage level that their trauma permits - then they validate it by screaming "I'm a victim" even louder to make a mountain out of a molehill.

This is something that only occurs, IME, in online worlds, and I only started seeing this behaviour about 2018 or so.. A hyper-sensitive culture of 'victimhood' - along with observations of how that professed 'victimhood' and constantly pointing to the door and saying "The trolls are coming! The trolls are coming! Help me! Protect me!" turned into a fevered pitch... and can be seen from time to time here in SL too.

Call me what you want, think about me what you want. It's okay. I'm tough.

But at the end of the day, it is YOUR responsibilty how you will react, and that's it.

Be offended all day every day if you want... That's your right.

I only get into the conversation and get my sword and shield when the same people call to ban, omit or persecute people who don't deserve it - or DISCOURAGE NEW USERS FROM COMING AND STAYING with the same behaviour

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was pointing out the behaviour of some posters here in how they validate their behaviour in being nasty, treating people they consider as trolls, or w/e nasty things they get up to... It reminded me of that prayer. It's relevant.

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Can you explain how some trolls are not narcissists? I'd really like to understand how empathism, echoism, and altruism could the characteristics of a troll.

Yep, it's all rooted in anti-social behaviour. And since I have a well known defintion of troll in my books, I don't appreciate being called one, because I"m not the type to troll..

No one's perfect, but we're not talking about the 1% of someones' behaviour but the 99%.

I wouldnt' consider someone a liar just becuase they lie 1% of the time. I call someone a liar when its 99% of ther behaviour.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

I was pointing out the behaviour of some posters here in how they validate their behaviour in being nasty, treating people they consider as trolls, or w/e nasty things they get up to... It reminded me of that prayer. It's relevant.

Its okey to be nasty to trolls, they deserve it.... except, the people being nasty to a troll are the same ones that decided the person is a troll.

hmmm something is not right here.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its okey to be nasty to trolls, they deserve it.... except, the people being nasty to a troll are the same ones that decided the person is a troll.

Exactly.

I have categorized you as such (any label), now I can discard your arguments, destroy you as an individual, peck at you , gang up on you, mistreat you.... etc.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:
4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Exactly.

I have categorized you as such (any label), now I can discard your arguments, destroy you as an individual, peck at you , gang up on you, mistreat you.... etc.

That's rather harsh, what did BJ ever do to YOU?!?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

And since I have a well known defintion of troll in my books, I don't appreciate being called one, because I"m not the type to troll..

I grant you, that merely having an "unpopular opinion" does not automatically make one a troll.

You just happen to "pop-up" at umm...interesting times, in defense of umm..unpopular positions!

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I grant you, that merely having an "unpopular opinion" does not automatically make one a troll.

You just happen to "pop-up" at umm...interesting times, in defense of umm..unpopular positions!

I have my inspirations where I have to sign in and post. It's not on everything, but certain topics for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I have my inspirations where I have to sign in and post. It's not on everything, but certain topics for sure.

If it were true. would you admit to having other, "Alternate" user / avatar logins that you also post with? I'm just curious! 🙂

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.