Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Because there are many other types of texting that do NOT include slexing between my partner and I

Not to speculate too deeply as I don't know the full situation, but it sounded as if Madi was saying they were indeed doing that together (it was Madi, right?). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

To @brodiac90's point, I do agree there should be some separation there. If a couple both likes roleplaying as children, then keeping their convos G/PG while in their child avatars should be totally fine. When one is in an adult avatar while the other is not, however, it seems risky to engage in adult conversations. In your own dang house in real life, whatever. Online, though - risky.

No, I do not agree with whatever proactive moderation is or IM surveillance or anything like that, but we do know chats are logged (which I'm also not a fan of - don't worry, I'm with you on all of this). Just to keep things on the level and for the couple's safety, though, romantic separation during roleplay is a good idea. When both are wearing adult avatars, then do whateva.

That said, if they were reported for partner status or something, that seems more of a case of mind ya business, but we know how that works out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

It would be extremely risky to roleplay as a child avatar and interact with someone inworld that you have romantic feelings for because conversations can easily slip into romantic ones without even realizing it, especially if you're spending many hours a day online together.

Considering any avatar can flip flop between a child and and adult avatar, they would have to specifically check if one is wearing an underage appearing avatar during the time of the sexting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Still shows a problem. We're not told "Oh, you were AR'd so we are going to monitor your chat to see if there is any impropriety" Or "You been AR'd for suspected a*gplay, please refrain from that sort of activity as per ToS version blah blah blah. Any suspected or proven infractions will result in a lifetime ban"

This smacks of the Lab intentionally looking for people to ban up to and including entrapment.

Or you could argue it's stopping people from doing things they shouldn't be doing? I imagine in certain circumstances LL would try to educate people first, but not for the sort of thing we're discussing. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Or you could argue it's stopping people from doing things they shouldn't be doing? I imagine in certain circumstances LL would try to educate people first, but not for the sort of thing we're discussing. 

Why not, how many thousands inworld now and ones who only log in once or twice a month have a clue as to the current new rules are outside of those who visit the Forums? If the Lab is wanting everyone to stop slexing, (which maybe they are) for everyone then I guess the sky has fallen, we just don't know it yet.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Confused 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Why not, how many thousands inworld now and ones who only log in once or twice a month have a clue as to the current new rules are outside of those who visit the Forums? If the Lab is wanting everyone to stop slexing, (which maybe they are) for everyone then I guess the sky has fallen, we just don't know it yet.

I'm pretty sure those rules have always been in place. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I'm pretty sure those rules have always been in place. 

Not pursued to the point of monitoring the private conversations of people trying to find a justification for banning. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I am reminded of a person I knew in grad school a long time ago, a perennially unhappy person who would greet each day with a new tale of woe. A new person joined the department and I said something offhand like, "She seems nice". Vivian's response was, "Yes, but there's evil in everyone. You just have to look hard enough. You'll see."

I suppose there probably are people in SL who are eager to AR potential minor-appearing avs, but I refuse to believe that they are enough of a problem to fret about. I'm probably naive; I think most people don't go around looking for reasons to file ARs.  They save their serious peeves for people who plant trees that lap into their parcels, or who send them tracking attachments. We have better things to do than AR strangers for looking like teenagers.

Thank you, this gives me potential insight into others who see things differently than I do! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That said, if they were reported for partner status or something

CAN child avatars have partners according to the TOS? I posted a dystopian take on that in one thread, but don't know.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Not to speculate too deeply as I don't know the full situation, but it sounded as if Madi was saying they were indeed doing that together (it was Madi, right?). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Her post said this:

18 hours ago, Madi Melodious said:

Yes, they do this now.  A friend of mine was inworld working on her little avatar talking naughty to her adult husband in IM.  They were both banned the next day.  I was in present with her when she was working on her avatar the entire time so no hanky pranky was happening in world.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Her post said this:

But you don't know what they were saying. The topic could have been a*geplay related. They could have also looked into past things they might have done that you have no clue about because of an AR. I know you seem really mad that everything you say can't be completely private but it makes absolutely no sense. Even the police could monitor old transcripts if they need to and they should be able too. What if a predator is luring people to a real life situation in text over this platform? Do you think there should be no record or way to actually see what was going on in those situations? 

I'm sure records are kept. I doubt they even look at it unless someone's behavior has been called to their attention. None of us are that interesting.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

CAN child avatars have partners according to the TOS? I posted a dystopian take on that in one thread, but don't know.

I don't know. Profiles and partner status don't change as you swap avatars and it doesn't affect me enough to check the TOS for it.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Her post said this:

Thank you! Yeah, that's very unfortunate. Being cautious with chat is really the only way to prevent things like that from happening.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Her post said this:

19 hours ago, Madi Melodious said:

Yes, they do this now.  A friend of mine was inworld working on her little avatar talking naughty to her adult husband in IM.  They were both banned the next day.  I was in present with her when she was working on her avatar the entire time so no hanky pranky was happening in world.  

Expand  

I do not recommend taking everything you read on the internet as accurate, and true, especially when it is "hearsay". You weren't there, and neither was Madi (even if she trusts and believes what she was told). 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I do not recommend taking everything you read on the internet as accurate, and true, especially when it is "hearsay". You weren't there, and neither was Madi (even if she trusts and believes what she was told). 

Good point though I will give stories increased credibility when I hear similar from multiple different sources as has been happening.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Since the modesty layer will be part of the mesh body (rather than another object linked to it) if the modesty layer fails to load it means the body has also failed to load.

Yes, so we'd see a naked avatar in a system body, probably with their face on the back of their head (if they're wearing an EvoX face skin). We've all seen this when waiting for mesh avatars to rez properly. BOM underwear would rez before mesh would.

Posted (edited)

All wonderful stories about what colors and clothing define gender and children, but there is still a reality - a GENERAL AGREEMENT by the majority of users and sellers - about certain traits and preferred colors. A quick 'best selling' search, and 'newest' shows what actually happens in practice - when creators are trying to appeal to the majority of women on SL.

Dominant color is pink, and mostly in a pastel - desaturated style that I notice they like so much.

The point is, if you dress or look a certain way, you will be judged as the whole 'presentation', and don't feel entitled to being offended.

females-like-pink.thumb.jpg.1c18e820cd67bc5ca05219a7703ec5f2.jpg

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sadvhi said:

My anime avatar's skin is not TOS compliant because she was created to represent an adult female. I personally don't feel like I look over 18 in this avatar so will not be wearing it to non-PG venues. The creator of this avatar updated the younger version with TOS compliant modesty layers baked into the skin because that version was made to represent a child avatar.

Anime.jpg

Is this sort of style typical of anime avatars then? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, because romantic or sexual meaning isn't always what a partner is for. It could be a business partner or a friend.  I can't remember where I read it but that came straight from LL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sadvhi said:

My anime avatar's skin is not TOS compliant because she was created to represent an adult female. I personally don't feel like I look over 18 in this avatar so will not be wearing it to non-PG venues. The creator of this avatar updated the younger version with TOS compliant modesty layers baked into the skin because that version was made to represent a child avatar.

Anime.jpg

This avatar looks about 8 years old. I hope that the creator will see that and decide to also update this one with modesty layers.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I think they tend to look young and petite. This one is 5'7" but she also looks underage

Kemono.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

There's a very wide range. Some anime avatars are quite adult.

Take a peek at this Flickr group for anime avatars. It's listed as a non-adult group, however, I cannot guarantee it's 100% safe for work/G/PG-rated. Just take care if that matters to you.

SL Anime Heads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brodiac90 said:

I don't understand how you can be IMing even someone like your RL partner while using a child avatar.  Doesn't matter who it is, it seems all kinds of wrong to me. They should have known better. 

If you view your SL identity as being that of a child, then maybe you view your IMs as being part of that identity. When I'm IMing someone who can't see my avatar, I'm usually speaking with them as my RL self - as an adult human. I wouldn't be Sexting in this situation, but I can see where someone else might. If I were IMing my RL boyfriend I might say some naughty things too. 

I frequently change my avatar appearance with my female avatars. They might at anytime be wearing a fantasy color skin, possibly a mesh doll avatar, an animal avatar, a Dinkie, a mermaid, a weird alien, or a demon. It's rare for me to use a child avatar, but I could be working on a child shape and look, alone in my skybox, while chatting in a group or with someone in a private IM.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

All wonderful stories about what colors and clothing define gender and children, but there is still a reality - a GENERAL AGREEMENT by the majority of users and sellers - about certain traits and preferred colors. A quick 'best selling' search, and 'newest' shows what actually happens in practice - when creators are trying to appeal to the majority of women on SL.

Dominant color is pink, and mostly in a pastel - desaturated style that I notice they like so much.

The point is, if you dress or look a certain way, you will be judged as the whole 'presentation', and don't feel entitled to being offended.

females-like-pink.thumb.jpg.1c18e820cd67bc5ca05219a7703ec5f2.jpg

All but one of those are fatpacks, making the color of the ad photos (only one of which showed a pink item, incidentally) largely irrelevant.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, brodiac90 said:

Do you think they were really monitoring their IMs at first? More likely someone was uncomfortable with how they were 'partnered,' and then AR'ed them. Oncce that happens LL looks into it and discovers the IMs.... 

The only context partnered should be used in regards to child avatars is like in a classroom, find a partner to work on your project... 

Oh please. Are we going to start policing how people are partnered now too? What if the person is a creator or merchant? They might be partnered to an alt they use for their store or to an actual business partner. They very well may be partnered to their RL partner, even when their partner uses a different gender or child avatar in SL. They might be partnered to an alt they use for RP. Sometimes people even partner with a friend just to keep down the unwanted propositions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Oh please. Are we going to start policing how people are partnered now too? What if the person is a creator or merchant? They might be partnered to an alt they use for their store or to an actual business partner. They very well may be partnered to their RL partner, even when their partner uses a different gender or child avatar in SL. They might be partnered to an alt they use for RP. Sometimes people even partner with a friend just to keep down the unwanted propositions.

Is a romantic partner okay?