Modesty Patch Discussion

18 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

There will be people who will try to get around the new TOS re child nudity or do the bare minimum to be compliant. Despite being "all for the new rules". 

I guess you could charitably call it a failure to separate the role-play from the rules in some cases maaaybe? Because a lot of tween and teen girls are like this about their clothes, globally, and it’s just a thing. But since we’re all adults here and some people are RP’ing kids, we all know it’s ‘rules before role-play’, and even if someone is a 24/7 RP’er as perpetually ‘the day before their 18th b-day’ they will still need to comply and have an OOC voice for this - just as they will need a decidedly non-child avatar to visit Adult regions, so I see anything that is not done in good faith (or if rules are approached IC via RP) as a childish failure to understand and refusal to comply at best and at worst as a series of disingenuous acts that could potentially take up a disproportionate amount time that governance could spend on other things. They can’t keep splitting hairs over it forever. I reviewed the last Governance meeting and these topics took the entire meeting. I understand they are important but hopefully that will re-balance soon too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madi Melodious said:

I was suggesting something like this.  Which I have been looking for because it would be great with my sailboard. 

OIP.jpg

That's what my sister's boys always wore.  Helps prevent sun damage!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:39 PM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

You've literally just covered nips which i would think is the barest minimum. But what do I know, ask a linden. Do you know what a sports bra is? A lot of women wear them. Of all ages. You could go with something that size and stilll have a  believable avatar. 

Yeah, they even wear them under swimsuits.

Waitaminnit...

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 4:33 PM, Madi Melodious said:

I was suggesting something like this.  Which I have been looking for because it would be great with my sailboard. 

OIP.jpg

This is my favorite swimsuit in SL 

Surf Suit.jpg

Posted (edited)

I would like for the lab to reconsider allowing the use of alphas to make the modesty layers vanish with the part of the body you are hiding with them.  Why?  Because this looks stupid.modestyissue.jpg.253ded798fddf0e8f6804116de034a3a.jpg

Being able to hide the panel with the body part doesn't defeat the purpose of the panel.  The panel is still there but just alpha with the body part is supposed to cover.   Not being able to hide the panel with the body part defeats the entire purpose of being able to hide parts of the body that clip cloths or other thing you are attaching.

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Thanks 3

No one talks about how this can effect innocent parts of family role play, like being little and getting a bath. I am not a fan of wearing underwear in the bathtub. Before anyone says, no i'm not condoning child nudity. I have always though nudist sims that allow kids is sus. Nor do I feel kids should be running around with no underwear, but dang some of us enjoy getting dirty and muddy while playing like any other normal kid and then taking a bath after in the privacy of our homes... its part of the experience of being little.

Edited by krissygirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Krissygirl, I am a firm believer that public nudity of a child was always a problem within second life, that goes without saying, however I pride myself on being a nonjudgmental person, I do aggree that children needs to be covered up, just as if it were in rl.

With that said, I also believe there are times when it should be allowed to be nude within their private homes, for the purpose of taking a bath, having their diaper change for those that RP that and being potty trained, the key here is within your private home, I know some people will read this and not agree or understand where I'm coming from, but when it comes to RP people want RP to be as realistic as it can be. No one takes a bath with clothing on, that makes no since at all, no one uses the potty with their clothes on , and yes when a baby is being changed they are nude for a few moments during the diaper change. sometimes you have to also remove all attachments and clothing and re-do your avatar and for those moments while your doing that until you can get your underwear on you will be nude for a few moments.

Every example I have given is totaly, and purely innocent  and part of life, and within family RP for some that is part of making the RP realistic.

I have voiced my concerns with Linden Labs, in great detail, and in multi forms. (Direct letters, tickets.)

I have been a member of second life children's community since 2008, it a great community to be a part of, but at the end of the day.  Linden Lab, Linden Research owns the platform, the servers and services associated with second life.

Our community does need to be protected, from those seeking to casue harm, or go outside the bounds of what is acceptable and moral. Many of the changes I fully back and support, there is nothing wrong with making our community safe, as well as the protection of real life children. Sometimes people for get that there are real life children in second life, since the closing of the teen grid. That is another thing that has to be accounted for.

I am in favor of having an exception for the RP listed above. I think people should let their feelings be known, and see where the chips fall. We will survive this, and I encourge people who comply with the TOS, reguardless of your feelings on specific issues. 

In closing, I want to do a small quote from the Q and A.

Q:  How do the new child avatar rules change Second Life for the better?

A: These guidelines are being put in place to better protect the child avatar community and to ensure that those communities can not only continue to exist but to thrive in SL.

It something we need to tall think on, and iI do believe there is a hidden message in there, for those that can read between the lines.

Thanks for reading,

Magneto Bashly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krissygirl said:

No one talks about how this can effect innocent parts of family role play, like being little and getting a bath.

This has been talked about in several threads.   A quick search and you can find the megathread(tm) about that includes the subject. 

My beef with the cenor panels is exactly what it is.   They mess up the look of some outfits, my favorite swimsuit for example, and defeat the purpose of being able to alpha out parts of the body to make some mesh fit.  

Other than that, the censor panels are really just a small issue.  I've been wearing the beta avil replacement for 2 weeks now and barely think about them.  Infact, they have improved my life a little as I no longer have to worry about wearing panties any more.  

• Like 1

I do agree with what Krissygirl and Magneto Bashly said. In real life there are times when kids are in various states of undress (in a private home) so that the parents can care for them. This does involve being unclothed when taking a bath, among other times. This is a perfectly normal and healthy activity, and I feel should be encouraged. We will work with modesty patches but they do deter from this role play. 

I also agree that kids nudity should NEVER be allowed on any public sim. That also is part of a normal healthy childhood environment. Like i said we will work with the policy, but it kind of destroys the role play that some of us come here for.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madi Melodious said:

I would like for the lab to reconsider allowing the use of alphas to make the modesty layers vanish with the part of the body you are hiding with them.  Why?  Because this looks stupid.modestyissue.jpg.253ded798fddf0e8f6804116de034a3a.jpg

Being able to hide the panel with the body part doesn't defeat the purpose of the panel.  The panel is still there but just alpha with the body part is supposed to cover.   Not being able to hide the panel with the body part defeats the entire purpose of being able to hide parts of the body that clip cloths or other thing you are attaching.

Unless I have misread your post, Madi, as I understand it, you are allowed to use alphas so long as you're still wearing the modesty layers. For example, my Tweeneedoo currently has the brief style modesty layers built into the body, then I wear my BOM boxers which look nicer and offer more coverage, and then when I wear clothes over them I alpha out that part anyway. 

That way, should there be some sort of malfunction with the alphas I'll still be covered if there are any issues when loading  / rezzing in etc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, krissygirl said:

No one talks about how this can effect innocent parts of family role play, like being little and getting a bath.

Everyone has talked about it. LL decided it's a liability. They're not wrong. There aren't any other games or platforms that allow child nudity for the same reason.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Unless I have misread your post, Madi, as I understand it, you are allowed to use alphas so long as you're still wearing the modesty layers. For example, my Tweeneedoo currently has the brief style modesty layers built into the body, then I wear my BOM boxers which look nicer and offer more coverage, and then when I wear clothes over them I alpha out that part anyway. 

That way, should there be some sort of malfunction with the alphas I'll still be covered if there are any issues when loading  / rezzing in etc. 

So what you are saying is the censor layers should vanish with the layer you are alphing out?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Everyone has talked about it. LL decided it's a liability. They're not wrong. There aren't any other games or platforms that allow child nudity for the same reason.  

Ingrid and I don't agree on much but I agree in this instance. There is a very big difference between a RL child being nude in the privacy of their home and a SL child being nude on a commercial platform. 

Most people don't take pictures of their kids nude (SL or RL) and then go and share them around - some do and I think that is very silly, but the consequences are very different. In addition to the loss of dignity in the private home context, LL also have to consider the business ramifications and optics are everything. 

Lastly, bubble bath and bubble bath style clothing is a thing so it is possible to have realistic style baths even with modesty layers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Good.  I read the requirements again and I don't interpret it the same way but if tweenster is doing it then that works for me.

I'm using Tweeneedoo atm and my take is this: 

1) don't be nude. 

2) Wear the modesty layers 

3) No one will care if you're alphaing out modesty layers if you're fully clothed - not using alphas will just look weird with some outfits with underwear poking through etc. 

• Like 4

Well I'm not so sure they agreed it was a liability, because if that was the case it would of been like that all along. Not everybody is going to have the same option or input on the subject, but I stand by my original post, for baths, going to the bathroom, potty training, diaper changes, ETC . . .

By the way how do you directly respond to people post, I see no option for it, Never mind just fingered it out lol.

Edited by Magneto Bashly
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Well I'm not so sure they agreed it was a liability, because if that was the case it would of been like that all along. Not everybody is going to have the same option or input on the subject, but I stand by my original post, for baths, going to the bathroom, potty training, diaper changes, ETC . . .

1 hour ago, Magneto Bashly said:

By the way how do you directly respond to people post, I see no option for it, Never mind just fingered it out lol.

There is a quote button at the bottom of the page.    Press it to quote and respond to someones post.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

Ingrid and I don't agree on much but I agree in this instance. There is a very big difference between a RL child being nude in the privacy of their home and a SL child being nude on a commercial platform. 

Most people don't take pictures of their kids nude (SL or RL) and then go and share them around - some do and I think that is very silly, but the consequences are very different. In addition to the loss of dignity in the private home context, LL also have to consider the business ramifications and optics are everything. 

Lastly, bubble bath and bubble bath style clothing is a thing so it is possible to have realistic style baths even with modesty layers. 

OMG I find that so gross to even think about, who does ***** like that?  taking pictures, and I'm pretty sure that is against the law in both worlds. I mean parents do get away with taking pictures when their child is born, but other then that your going to jail if you do ***** like that, its so morally wrong, and just down right gross. 

• Confused 2