Proposal for Immutable Age Demographics and Enhanced Visibility Features.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The issue of adults using child avatars in virtual environments like Second Life is complex and involves balancing the principles of freedom of expression with the need to protect against harmful or illegal content. 

The following is a proposed strategy to bolster user safety and content appropriateness in this context by implementing immutable age demographics and enhancing the visibility of these demographics on avatar profiles and within the virtual environment.

Please use this thread to discuss,  trash, or completely ignore - whatever you feel most appropriate.

Personally, I can see potential issues around Freedom of Expression, Potential for Stigmatization, Impact on Community Dynamics, Unintended Consequences, and of course intentional Circumvention.

However, given the discussion and debate around this area, it might be good to attempt some sort of consensus from the forum around a structured and practical approach. 

Proposed Approach:

1.Immutable Age Demographic Selection:

• Initial Setup: During account creation, users will select an age demographic (Child, Teen, Adult) that is permanent and unchangeable to ensure consistency and appropriateness of content and interaction. If a customer wishes to participate in multiple age demographics at different times, then this would be facilitated by use of Alternative Accounts (Alts).

2.Enhanced Demographic Visibility:

• Profile Visibility: Each avatar’s age category will be prominently displayed on their profile through intuitive icons and color codes, ensuring it is immediately apparent to other users.
  • In-Environment Indicators: Beside each avatar’s floating name, a universally understandable icon indicating their age demographic will be visible, ensuring all interactions are age-appropriate.

3.Zoning and Access Control:

• Geofenced Zones: Implement strict geofencing based on age demographics, allowing avatars access only to designated zones that match their age group, enhancing both safety and compliance.

4.Content and Community Management:

• Content Filtering: Systems will adjust content visibility and interaction possibilities based on the immutable age setting.
  • Community Interaction Protocols: Encourage engagement within age-similar groups to foster a safer and more relevant social environment.

5.Policy and Compliance Framework:

• Clear Communication: Users will be thoroughly informed about the importance and permanence of their age selection during the setup process.
  • Legal and Policy Compliance: Regular reviews and updates will ensure alignment with global legal standards and adapt to evolving user and community needs.

Benefits:

• Safety and Security: Ensures a secure environment by aligning users’ interactions strictly with their age group.
  • Regulatory Compliance: Meets stringent global standards for online safety and child protection.
  • Enhanced User Trust: Builds user confidence through transparent policies and clear, visible age demarcations.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

This is a fantasy you have, right?

Or do you really expect all that from the same people that can't even be bothered to add a "report this store" link to the marketplace?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

^^ this

and is this not a GIANT LOOPHOLE?

1. declare as an adult

2. go to adult region

3. appear as child

This is the Intentional Circumvention issue, but investigation can be undertaken on a much more substantive basis.

The idea with this is to get away from the subjective perception of age based on appearance, which appears to be causing problems.

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

This is a fantasy you have, right?

Or do you really expect all that from the same people that can't even be bothered to add a "report this store" link to the marketplace?

Worth a punt, if for no other reason than it's a topic they seem to be very focussed on at the moment.

Also, there's that big Thunes windfall happening.... isn't there?

23 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

Worth a punt, if for no other reason than it's a topic they seem to be very focussed on at the moment.

Also, there's that big Thunes windfall happening.... isn't there?

In the Flab Blab video, our Glorious Leader specifically stated that he MIGHT spend some of the "windfall" on "Good Ideas".

That would automatically exclude this clueless ill-informed outsider nonsense.

So NO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

In the Flab Blab video, our Glorious Leader specifically stated that he MIGHT spend some of the "windfall" on "Good Ideas".

That would automatically exclude this clueless ill-informed outsider nonsense.

So NO.

Ahh Zalificent, it's been too long.

You know, I might upset you less - and you'd spend way less on antacids - if you pitched back with an idea or two of your own.

"It's not the critic that counts...."  and all that...apparently :D

• Haha 2

There is no need to change anything more than the changes that have already been put in to place.

Give it time to see the impact of these changes before suggesting some quite draconian measures.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

Ahh Zalificent, it's been too long.

You know, I might upset you less - and you'd spend way less on antacids - if you pitched back with an idea or two of your own.

"It's not the critic that counts...."  and all that...apparently :D

I have an idea of my own.

"Clueless pseudo-intellectual outsiders who know sod all about SL, should keep their platform destroying bad ideas to themselves"

Here is another idea, farr more practical thn that time consuming and expensive and ultimately futile nonsense of yours.

"Ban Child Avatars from SL as it's intended for Adults over 18."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I have an idea of my own.

"Clueless pseudo-intellectual outsiders who know sod all about SL, should keep their platform destroying bad ideas to themselves"

Here is another idea, farr more practical thn that time consuming and expensive and ultimately futile nonsense of yours.

"Ban Child Avatars from SL as it's intended for Adults over 18."

Is that really an "idea" though Zal (I can call you Zal I'm assuming, given the pleasantries we've exchanged recently)?

But you know, we each must employ whatever talents we have in the service of our favourite virtual world.

Forgive me... and your talent is again...?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

(I can call you Zal I'm assuming, given the pleasantries we've exchanged recently)

After coming up with it recently, I'm starting to favor "Zally", similar to "Sally"!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

After coming up with it recently, I'm starting to favor "Zally", similar to "Sally"!

Mmm.. I'm not sure, I don't think "Zally" really conjures properly the hard won reputation for malevolence that Zal has spent so long nurturing.

Either way, I do enjoy our back and forth.

You almost feel like you've "made it" in the forums when our "Zal" takes a swing at you :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

I can call you Zal I'm assuming, given the pleasantries we've exchanged recently

No, Bollock, you can't.

Only presumptuous, patronising, condescending enemies who don't actually know me call me "Zal".

5 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

Is that really an "idea" though

Yes, and a fairly popular one with many in the Adult community in SL.

6 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

But you know, we each must employ whatever talents we have in the service of our favourite virtual world.

Forgive me... and your talent is again...?

Estate manager, parcel admin, builder, rlv scripter, and 8 year veteran of SL, who has actually paid attention for those 8 years.

And your "talent"? so far its "ill-informed bad ideas designed to kill the platform, and assuming the sale of Tiilla to Thunes means "vat windfall to fund awful ideas from clueless self-confessed interlopers"

You're not the first to come round with nonsense, we've seen a lot of it, web -cam based trojan malware auto-gurning systems, upgrading skill gaming gambling dens with Vegas style floor shows and hotel suites, banning female avatars from being taller than 5'4", you name it, some clueless pseudo-intellectual arse-talking interloper has suggested it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

No, Bollock, you can't.

Only presumptuous, patronising, condescending enemies who don't actually know me call me "Zal".

Yes, and a fairly popular one with many in the Adult community in SL.

Estate manager, parcel admin, builder, rlv scripter, and 8 year veteran of SL, who has actually paid attention for those 8 years.

And your "talent"? so far its "ill-informed bad ideas designed to kill the platform, and assuming the sale of Tiilla to Thunes means "vat windfall to fund awful ideas from clueless self-confessed interlopers"

You're not the first to come round with nonsense, we've seen a lot of it, web -cam based trojan malware auto-gurning systems, upgrading skill gaming gambling dens with Vegas style floor shows and hotel suites, banning female avatars from being taller than 5'4", you name it, some clueless pseudo-intellectual arse-talking interloper has suggested it.

Ahh well now Zal, I'm a polite man and I normally do make a point of calling people by whatever name they prefer.

However, I've noticed you're not shy in allocating any epithet you like when talking to people, so I'll just reciprocate in kind if that's ok.

Kind Regards
The Clueless Self-Confessed Interloper.

PS.. I'm guessing you're really a bit old to be seriously talking about "enemies", you'll be telling me you have a "nemesis" next. However, if you don't, can I be it?

Edited by JacksonBollock

1 hour ago, JacksonBollock said:

The issue of adults using child avatars in virtual environments like Second Life is complex and involves balancing the principles of freedom of expression with the need to protect against harmful or illegal content. 

The following is a proposed strategy to bolster user safety and content appropriateness in this context by implementing immutable age demographics and enhancing the visibility of these demographics on avatar profiles and within the virtual environment.

Please use this thread to discuss,  trash, or completely ignore - whatever you feel most appropriate.

Personally, I can see potential issues around Freedom of Expression, Potential for Stigmatization, Impact on Community Dynamics, Unintended Consequences, and of course intentional Circumvention.

However, given the discussion and debate around this area, it might be good to attempt some sort of consensus from the forum around a structured and practical approach. 

Proposed Approach:

• Initial Setup: During account creation, users will select an age demographic (Child, Teen, Adult) that is permanent and unchangeable to ensure consistency and appropriateness of content and interaction. If a customer wishes to participate in multiple age demographics at different times, then this would be facilitated by use of Alternative Accounts (Alts).

• Profile Visibility: Each avatar’s age category will be prominently displayed on their profile through intuitive icons and color codes, ensuring it is immediately apparent to other users.
  • In-Environment Indicators: Beside each avatar’s floating name, a universally understandable icon indicating their age demographic will be visible, ensuring all interactions are age-appropriate.

• Geofenced Zones: Implement strict geofencing based on age demographics, allowing avatars access only to designated zones that match their age group, enhancing both safety and compliance.

• Content Filtering: Systems will adjust content visibility and interaction possibilities based on the immutable age setting.
  • Community Interaction Protocols: Encourage engagement within age-similar groups to foster a safer and more relevant social environment.

• Clear Communication: Users will be thoroughly informed about the importance and permanence of their age selection during the setup process.
  • Legal and Policy Compliance: Regular reviews and updates will ensure alignment with global legal standards and adapt to evolving user and community needs.

Benefits:

• Safety and Security: Ensures a secure environment by aligning users’ interactions strictly with their age group.
  • Regulatory Compliance: Meets stringent global standards for online safety and child protection.
  • Enhanced User Trust: Builds user confidence through transparent policies and clear, visible age demarcations.

Anyone who has been involved with running an Adult venue will all too often have heard things like "Look at my profile!  It clearly says that I rp a young-looking, troubled, nineteen-year-old!" or "I know I may look like a child but actually I'm 573 years old in anime/fay/neko years".   

If this proposal were to be followed, we'd presumably also hear  "You can't throw me out!  You may think I look as if I'm 14 at most, but my Immutable Age Demographic says different!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JacksonBollock said:

Proposed Approach:

Benefits:

LL actually has a website for Suggestions/Feedback/Bugs:  https://feedback.secondlife.com/

Knock yourself out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Anyone who has been involved with running an Adult venue will all too often have heard things like "Look at my profile!  It clearly says that I rp a young-looking, troubled, nineteen-year-old!" or "I know I may look like a child but actually I'm 573 years old in anime/fay/neko years".   

^ THIS ^

19 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Me "Hi, the owner of this sim doesn't allow child avatars here, can you please switch to an adult avatar, or leave, thanks."

About 10%will leave when approached like that, about 5% will change.

The other 85%?

Them:

"But...But...

...That's so unfair, the ToS says I have a RIGHT to be here!

... I have a place pick used as a fraudulent disclaimer stating that my 10 yr old streetwalker avatar from a badly drawn Japanese comic is over 18 so the rules don't apply to me!

...My 10 yr old streetwalker avatar is based off a badly drwarn JAPANESE comic book, and so the ToS about adult activities simply doesn't apply to me!

... I have paws instead of feet, so the ToS doesn't apply to me!

...MY world MY imagination, so the sim owners rules and/or ToS don't apply to me!

...I'm pwetendin to be thix, so you has to do what I says! Or I'll stamp my wittle feets and sqweem and sqweem and sqweem!

...if you ban me you have to ban [name 1] and [name 2] and [name 3], and [name 4] as that only fair!"

My standard response to all of these was give the trash 60 seconds, then if not gone or changed, help them on their way by breaking my foot off in their over-entitled little ass.

Case closed. Guilty as charged.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

LL actually has a website for Suggestions/Feedback/Bugs:  https://feedback.secondlife.com/

Knock yourself out.

Thanks LittleMe,

I've just started to get the flavour of these forums, and yeah - misjudged it completely.

I'll stick my proposition in feedback bucket (not where Zal would like me to stick it - but anatomically I'm not sure it'd fit.)

I'll leave this thread up though, if nothing else it can be a chew toy for the usual suspects :D

All the best.

LOL, this is going to be fun to watch.

People freaked out over red zone, which gave information that was way less personal than this proposal.  Viewer type and version, IP address, OS... it's not good, but it's also not as bad as this.  This proposal asks for age, and gender, and also asks for alt information, which, as we all know, is a red line you simply can't cross.

Be honest... you really want this because it gives better demographics for merchants, right?

I am not unsympathetic to that.  SL merchants have always been flying blind, without much information about even what languages they should use to localize products and marketing.  That's the level of privacy that we're comfortable with, though.  We came to this level, though two decades of squabbling over it, between users, merchants, region owners, and other stake holders.

I don't see this thread moving the needle on that.  It's a valiant attempt, but the ask is just too big.  You can't touch alt information without everybody losing their minds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

LOL, this is going to be fun to watch.

People freaked out over red zone, which gave information that was way less personal than this proposal.  Viewer type and version, IP address, OS... it's not good, but it's also not as bad as this.  This proposal asks for age, and gender, and also asks for alt information, which, as we all know, is a red line you simply can't cross.

Be honest... you really want this because it gives better demographics for merchants, right?

I am not unsympathetic to that.  SL merchants have always been flying blind, without much information about even what languages they should use to localize products and marketing.  That's the level of privacy that we're comfortable with, though.  We came to this level, though two decades of squabbling over it, between users, merchants, region owners, and other stake holders.

I don't see this thread moving the needle on that.  It's a valiant attempt, but the ask is just too big.  You can't touch alt information without everybody losing their minds.

Ok, but this proposal only asks that you select the age you want this account to be identified as within SL...actually never mind.

No worries Bubblesort, it's only just dawned on me what these forums are for, and it ain't this.

I sort of alluded to a quote by Teddy Roosevelt earlier, but there's an old "hippy" song by a man named Bob Dylan which also serves probably a bit more accessibly.(included here purely for the acid reflux it'll cause in some of the forum participants :D)

The second last verse goes like this.

"Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'"

11 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

by a man named Bob Dylan

Dylan was…. a man? Golly!

This thread reminds me of an eyewitness radio broadcast by a reporter named Herbert Morrison… yanno… concerning the Hindenburg.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, JacksonBollock said:

The second last verse goes like this.

"Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'"

And what Dylan meant by that song was accept and learn how to swim, or fight against change and sink like a stone.   At the time, it applied to the Civil Rights movement.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

And what Dylan meant by that was accept and learn how to swim, or fight against change and sink like a stone.   At the time, it applied to the Civil Rights movement.  

The age old conversation repeated through Dorm rooms all over the world... what did Dylan really mean...?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.