Can you use a Meta Quest 3 (or 2) in SL?

I'm planning on getting a Meta Quest 3 VR headset in the near future and was wondering if it'd work in SL. I searched on Google but it kept coming up with results about the Oculus Quest. If anyone knows I'd much appreciate the info. Cheers. :)

Darren

There were some projects to implement VR in SL, but I don't think any are still maintained.

tl;dr, I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard in passing, adding VR to a game/experience is a lot more involved than just adding support for the hardware, if you want an experience that doesn't make most people dizzy. SL wasn't designed for VR, and good support for it will probably never happen.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 2

The Oculus Quest is technically the Meta Quest 1.  I haven't used it play SL VR since my desktop computer died. SL VR isn't very dizzying if you are in 3rd person view. Our avatars look different in VR than how they look on a 2D screen. 

The connection goes like so: Quest headset w/ Quest OS -> PC w/ Rift OS -> Steam VR OS -> Firestorm VR

Here's my old post. The method to connect has probably changed and hopefully has gotten better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will probably work that way, and maybe in the meantime somewhat easier, on any meta quest or oculus quest, oculus to meta is ust a namechange from Facebook / Meta. A VR headset is more or less an advanced mobile phone on your nose, using android/linusx as an operating system. For any windows based game/app you will need a really good desktop/gaming laptop to get it working on the quest or any other vr headset. That is because you will have to wireless or wired connect to that destop and load a few other apps before you can start any viewer. My opinion is it is not worth the trouble if you do not have a really really good desktop or laptop. And if you do, and you have played other games on that or if you have played quest games used quest apps you dont even want to anymore. Because that is so much more realistic than sl will ever be in the near future so why bother. So.....it will only work with a really good gaming desktop or laptop, not only ot the quest and....oculus/ Meta Go and Rift are abandoned, quest 1 almost also. It is a huge investement a gaming laptop, a quest 3, and some apps wich are not free and then the time investment and learn sideloading and so on......my opinion for what you get it is sooo not worth it. Sorry... >>Just get your new quest 3 because it is so much fun  as it is and what you can do and play with it, see with it and forget about using it in sl.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lindavk. :) Yeah. Perhaps that's why LL haven't bothered developing VR for SL anymore. I'd imagine a lot of stuff in SL is too fiddly for VR anyway, like building for example.

A long long time ago 😁 LL worked together with oculus to make sl vr ready and was building a new grid, Both turned out to be "not rewarding" Oculus sold their company and product to facebook / Meta and LL sold the new grid to ?? and that grid  is/was on steam and you could access it with the quest 1 to 3. I did that, huge problem i had to stand the whole time lol otherwise i was crawling on the floor,  realized that later and was wondering why does everybody think i am a noob ? And the still you nee a good laptop/desktop for steam also. But, that grid and a few other ones are maybe nice for creators builders as a hobby, but for social interactions its very dull. It all depends on what you want to do or like, you can go explore all posibillity's. But do get the quest if you can and do not forget those games/apps are not free either, but it is really really a lot of fun.☺️

• Like 1

There i a VR client kicking about that I have had working with the Quest3. It's awful, and it's VR, and it will make you wanna puke.

Quest3 > Steam Link > Desktop > SL in a 2D floating window while you play other VR titles is totally a thing.

(Nvidia only) If you have a second GPU and launch SL by R. click on on the shortcut picking the second, then your main VR game will run on your main GPU and SL wont slow it down.

Quest3 > SideQuest > Android Steam Link .. also a thing and not the same as the Quest app store steam link.

• Thanks 1

@Dazzer01 There are a couple of people working with VR for SL. There are two problems. Performance is a big problem. The other is the user interface.

Try and imagine how we would handle all the control panels in VR...

I did get my Gear VR working with a modified version of FS in SL and Sansar.

The VR phase has sort of died out. Most of us would love to be in the immersive 3D experience. But, headsets are uncomfortable. I thing FAR too uncomfortable for recreational use.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:19 AM, Dazzer01 said:

I'm planning on getting a Meta Quest 3 VR headset in the near future and was wondering if it'd work in SL. I searched on Google but it kept coming up with results about the Oculus Quest. If anyone knows I'd much appreciate the info. Cheers. :)

Darren

I used to do it using WMR, there was software that would translate the head tracking to my mouse so that looking around would have the same effect that using a mouse would in SL, I didn't configure it to use a gamepad so I was still using my keyboard to move around, so it was entirely a sitting session, while moving via the keyboard, and it was entirely in mouselook as that is the only way it would work for me.  On the plus side, it would work with the newest viewers.

It has been a while, but I think it was VorpX that I was using  https://www.vorpx.com/  it will turn almost any game into VR, it has been a few years since I have used it though.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Thanks 2